• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comixology

13 posts in this topic

So I got my first and brand new iPhone last Friday, thanks to Verizon. I have never been a fan of digital comics, and on the iPhone it seemed just too inplausible to even try on that small of a screen. Didn't want to be pinching, expanding and swiping my way through a book.

Downloaded the comixology app and it "guided view" bend on digital comics. I have to say I am impressed. I also have to say, there is something "better" about reading a comic where only one or part of each panel is visible at a time. It really enhances the storytelling of the whole thing...plays out much more like a movie as you are reading it.

They had Chew #1 an Morning Glories #1 as freebie downloads. I understand all the hype, loved them both. Purhchased Chew #2 for 1.99, great read as well.

The only problem is this empty feeling I have now that I have read the books...a feeling coming from the lack of a hard copy in a pretty little bag and board in my collectiondrawer...sigh.

You know what would be really cool, if when ever you purchase a hard copy you also got a free digital copy or some kind of coupon that allows you to download a free digital copy off their websites. Similar to what some DVDs are offering, you purchase a DVD and a Digital version is included for free.

But it's a real cool format, I see this taking off. I would buy, but I think the price point is too high. If they offered downloads for .99, I think it would take off like wild fire.

I agree. The 1.99 is the cheapest I have seen and even that has really kept me from buying more than what I have. I can get the same books through mailordercomics.com for about the same price and have a hard copy to sell on ebay or here on the boards later to recoup most of my expenses.

.99 would make the choice a lot easier.

How are splash pages handled? Or pages with overlapping panels? For example, like Emily Strange.

with the comixology comic viewer there are two ways of viewing a comic.

You can view it like a normal comic where you flip pages, in this format you can double click to zoom in/out and then use the cursor to scroll left/right and up/down, similar to a PDF file.

There is also a guided view where the panels pop up in sequence of the dialogue or in the case of a full page splash, you'll first see the full splash and then you'll have the viewer zoom in to specific parts of importance or order of the dialogue as you click next.

I just got an iPhone, too, but seriously? A comic on that little thing? Maybe I'll give it a try, but it just doesn't feel right.

Give it a try Reno, you will be surprised how nicely it works. Like I said, I actually think it enhances the effect of the storytelling.

As is the case with CHEW, I wouldn't want to drop the money to read the comic from the beginning but this is a nice cheap way to pick the series, get caught up, and then I could just order the hard copies once I'm all up to speed.

I noticed, when I was browsing, they had some silver age stuff. I just checked DD, but they had issues 1-8 for 2.99 a piece I think. I recently bought a DD #7 and didn't want to mess with it anymore than I had to, but I wanted to read it sooo badly. Now I can and I don't have to touch the book. Very Nice!

I also saw Invincible TPB for 9.99 and 6.99 a piece.

By the way Reno, I also downloaded the Nook app, and reading books on that thing isn't as bad as you might think either.

You know what would be really cool, if when ever you purchase a hard copy you also got a free digital copy or some kind of coupon that allows you to download a free digital copy off their websites. Similar to what some DVDs are offering, you purchase a DVD and a Digital version is included for free.

But it's a real cool format, I see this taking off. I would buy, but I think the price point is too high. If they offered downloads for .99, I think it would take off like wild fire.

Yeah it would be cool if you could use the barcode on the book, and then get the digital copy as well for free. I know the iPhone can be used as a barcode scanner...although I don't know how well it works.