• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Swipes

308 posts in this topic

Boy does that illustrate how crappy Marvel's coloring had gotten by the Bronze Age.

I agree, the original TOS had a subdued cover (the men and tank) which was contrasted by the bright colors of Caps costume. The reprints however were colored with brighter colors than Caps costume. Not to mention having pink buildings in the background. Ugh.

How about a tribute/swipe from a non comic entity?

organic.jpg

Organic Gardening April 1993. And no, I doubt if this one is slab worthy.

And here's the info on the inside page. A real tribute to FF, by gardeners.

organic2.jpg

My posts keep getting "unusual"

Has anybody done the Thor/FF swipe? There are so many images on this thread that don't show up it's hard to get a handle on every possible swipe.

30929984076.12.gif87387731330.404.gif

mgc29.jpg

WOW! Thanks for posting the Bomber Comics #3 cover. That's my Horrific #2 you posted next to it, I believe (I recognize the crummy digital photo). I had absolutely no idea that the cover was an almost complete swipe of a book that came out ten years before. Unbelievable. And I thought it was a very original cover concept smile.gif

I like the Bomber Comics #3 cover, too... and will look to add one to my collection.

Scott Shaw has an article on the book here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/oddball/index.cgi?date=2002-04-26

It appears that it was an Iger book (as was Horrific #2) done for Farrell. Perhaps they even reused the earlier artwork that they had laying around and had the artist replace the man and boy with monsters. It could have been the same artist for all we know!

A Parody is still a cover swipe to me

You can define it any way you want, I won't stop you. And for the purposes of this thread, I really don't much care. I mean, I posted a bunch of Justice League homage covers here, so I'm obviously cool with the spirit of the thread.

That said, this is the definition of a swipe as I've always known it.

6-16: WHAT IS A "SWIPE"?

A "swipe" refers to an artist tracing panels or figures from a published

comic, making only minor changes, and passing the copied elements off as

original work. While most swipes are examples of artistic laziness, or

surrender to overwhelming deadline pressure, in the past, some editors have

directed artists working under them to swipe other artists (usually to

emulate a "hot" style).

Parody, homage and reprint all fall outside of this definition.