• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the ? Dr. Bart Hamilton is the Green Goblin?

32 posts in this topic

2/24/11
... ASM 176 is still the issue I consider my first òff the newstand ASM....

Earlier in the year, I scooped this up from Silver Surfer in a sales thread here.

A176TwinCities.jpg

:cloud9:

The Bart Hamilton GG story-line was my first real exposure to the world of comics as a kid. I had just started 4th grade and ASM 176 was on the stands. I don't know what inspired me, but I purchased it and got hooked. Luckily, the spinner rack at the local U-Tote-Em still had ASM 174 and 175 so I was able to pick up those to catch up to the storyline.

Agreed, that Ross Andru-drawn Goblin face scared the jeepers out of me. And the "crazy" looks on the faces Andru would draw with the beedy eyes -- very memorable.

I was in grade 7 picking on the kids in grade 4. :acclaim:

The end of issue 179 caught me off guard where Harry (!) escapes. I missed the Punisher/Hitman issues, so I mail ordered them from Robert Crestohl or Max Seeley after this storyline was over.

I was in grade 7 picking on the kids in grade 4. :acclaim:

The end of issue 179 caught me off guard where Harry (!) escapes. I missed the Punisher/Hitman issues, so I mail ordered them from Robert Crestohl or Max Seeley after this storyline was over.

I ordered all my back issues from Max Seeley. I got sharp copies of issues like 141, 142, 146, 149 from him. I also got a sweet copy of 176 too.

Too bad I wasnt big into preservation in the day.

Too bad I wasnt big into preservation in the day.

:roflmao: But can you beat my 4th grade self unbinding the comic to remove the advertisement pages because they got in the way, and then re-binding the truncated book with fresh staples?

Ross Andru was always my favorite Spidey artist.

Not my #1 but he's high on my list. Loved his use of angles & unnatural body movements.

The length and consistency of Andru's run should place him just behind 1. Ditko and 1a) Romita.

The second tier seems to just be Gil Kane & he was great on the book but Andru is the forgotten artist of the 1-200 era. :(

When rereading the Omnibus I was surprised how much of the Romita run was breakdowns with Don Heck pencils.....I think Romita gets so much credit because he created marketable Spidey.

The length and consistency of Andru's run should place him just behind 1. Ditko and 1a) Romita.

The second tier seems to just be Gil Kane & he was great on the book but Andru is the forgotten artist of the 1-200 era. :(

And let's not forget Keith Pollard to book-end the last 20 issues or so of the 1-200 erea. As a little kid I enjoyed how he drew the "eyes" on Spidey's mask. More important, Pollard provided the visual creation of one certain feline in the Spidey mythos.

And let's not forget Keith Pollard to book-end the last 20 issues or so of the 1-200 erea. As a little kid I enjoyed how he drew the "eyes" on Spidey's mask. More important, Pollard provided the visual creation of one certain feline in the Spidey mythos.

I don't put him in with the earlier guys with only doing 12 or so issues, but the Black Cat might help his argument. I liked his 194 cover better than Milgrom's.

tumblr_matom0By1x1r93mfqo1_500.jpg

I was excited with Pollard's first issue (186), the cover was Diko-ish and at the time I didn't like the Ditko stuff. My favourites from Pollard's run were 192//193.

Ross Andru was always my favorite Spidey artist.

Not my #1 but he's high on my list. Loved his use of angles & unnatural body movements.

Yeah, his drawings of Spidey swinging through the air (or falling) could almost give you vertigo. Together with his under appreciated authentic rendering of New York City, it was really memorable work.

I still prefer the Giaocia inked pre-149 stuff, but overall I think he probably has the longest, most un-appreciated run on the book.

When rereading the Omnibus I was surprised how much of the Romita run was breakdowns with Don Heck pencils.....I think Romita gets so much credit because he created marketable Spidey.

1968 was the year he did the 52 and 64 page Spectacular Spider-man 'magazine sized' issues, which probably explains the 9 issues Heck helped out with on the regular title, followed by the Jim Mooney inked issues (some of my favorites).

Romita definitely created the look. So much so that he continued to do the covers well into the Andru run of the book.

Pollard was a quality artist on the book who probably suffers from the same thing the second half of Andru's run does, Marvel going into a bland safe-story mode after dealing with the negative response of the Gwen Stacey death/clone.

There's some decent stuff here and there in that run, but for me, the stories didn't really quite kick in again until Roger Stern took over in the 200's.

My Bronze age ended with Amazing Spider-Man 185, which was Ross Andru's last issue. I never really enjoyed Pollard and I definitely noticed a huge drop off in art quality, well at least to my 12 year old eyes. As time has went by, I can appreciate Pollard more, but alas, he will never hold that special spot that Andru did.