• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the ? Dr. Bart Hamilton is the Green Goblin?

32 posts in this topic

Well, I'm sure my twelve-year old brain was probably thinking something along those lines when I got to the end of Amazing Spider-Man #179 back in 1978.

Marvel sure had me fooled into thinking that Harry Osborn was that one that had been tied up all this time in the warehouse. Those tricky devils.

Ok, overall I felt this was an average story line (176-180) at best. I never fully bought into the Goblin story lines, because the fights should have lasted about two minutes, even if Spider-Man were trying not to hurt his friend (or in this case, who Spider-Man thought was his friend).

I loved the drama with his Aunt in the hospital. I guess the cover of ASM #178 will stick with me for awhile, as it is one of the few comics I remember convincing my dad into buying for me.

I know we have discussed Ross Andru's art over here quite a bit, but I really loved Jim Mooney's inks on a few issues in this run. Always felt Jim was a very good inker.

Ok, anyone else have any fond memories of this story line to share?

I remember loving 176-180 as a kid. Any Spidey story arc with the Goblin was an "event". Don't know how they hold up now, but these bring back good memories. :luhv:

I loved that storyline as a kid, although I started suspecting that Bart was the GG early on (along with the "never show their faces" bit, it was that part about Bart thinking "So that's Peter Parker, not what I expected" in a previous issue - alarm bell city!) but I was not absolutely sure until the reveal.

I also remember being extremely disappointed with the art and pacing in the last issue - Andru was probably under a serious deadline with that last book, and it really shows. Read ASM 178, which flows extremely well, then compare it to 180 - not even in the same Zip Code. doh!

I loved that storyline as a kid, although I started suspecting that Bart was the GG early on (along with the "never show their faces" bit, it was that part about Bart thinking "So that's Peter Parker, not what I expected" in a previous issue - alarm bell city!) but I was not absolutely sure until the reveal.

I also remember being extremely disappointed with the art and pacing in the last issue - Andru was probably under a serious deadline with that last book, and it really shows. Read ASM 178, which flows extremely well, then compare it to 180 - not even in the same Zip Code. doh!

Yes, good point on the last issue not flowing as well. I just read these last night.

Anyone else think it was odd that the Green Goblin saves Spider-Man from the fall at Radio City Music Hall only to take him to that incinerator, to try to kill him. Just let him fall if you want him dead there Bart.

I loved the drama with his Aunt in the hospital. I guess the cover of ASM #178 will stick with me for awhile, as it is one of the few comics I remember convincing my dad into buying for me.

Really? I thought this was about the 100th time she was in the hospital at this point in Spider-Man's history. I wish someone had the balls to kill this person_without_enough_empathy and leave her dead for good. She stopped being a truly important character years ago and a an annoying redundant waste of time.

I remember loving 176-180 as a kid. Any Spidey story arc with the Goblin was an "event". Don't know how they hold up now, but these bring back good memories. :luhv:

That storyline is available in TPB for anyone who's looking to read it.

78784346568.1.GIF

Me, I think it makes a great bookend :grin:

78357032384.146.GIF78357032384.178.GIF

Me, I think it makes a great bookend :grin:

77906321824.146.GIF77906321824.178.GIF

Very similar indeed.

I think the Aunt May in the hospital thing was overplayed for sure, but in this arc I like how if Peter Parker didn't sign the papers for the operation, Aunt May was going to die.

Of course, Peter was a little busy with the Goblin at the time.

I think the Aunt May in the hospital thing was overplayed for sure, but in this arc I like how if Peter Parker didn't sign the papers for the operation, Aunt May was going to die.

Me too, and I really liked the end of ASM 178:

109664.jpg.6f886611839a21e490c8a9eef2962f3e.jpg

I enjoyed the story, though I read it for the first time as an adult and with foreknowledge (thanks to Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe) of the Green Goblin's identity. It seems obvious when you read it with the knowledge, but if I'd read the issues as a kid, it would have been a great twist.

Cool stuff.

I love those covers in that run, especially #179. When I was a kid I thought Andru drew the creepiest Goblin. Love that maniacal scowl on his face. Still kinda creeps me out.

Big-time!

I've never been a big fan of Andru's work on ASM but I agree. He drew a great GG.

109710.jpg.e574bdfbe8648966759c50560648c44f.jpg

Although I had already purchased around 15 or 20 of the 3 packs from Kmart prior to this storyline, ASM 176 is still the issue I consider my first òff the newstand ASM. Loved the storyline at the time.

My family had just moved & I made a new friend who had just quit buying a year earlier but he had about 20-30 issues of most Marvel ongoing sets. Well, my non-spiderman & non-avenger comics from those 3 packs filled out his other sets nicely and by the time 178 came out I had neat little 3-4 inch piles of ASM, MTU, PPTSS, Marvel Tales, Avengers & of course, Marvel Triple Actions.

I think I read Silvermane`s death (in Marvel Tales reprint) and his return within days of each other. :insane: