• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Stressful Last Day of the Comiclink Auction

80 posts in this topic

I'd rather not blurt out the title and issue because it will be easy to associate it with me, but let's just say it was a scarce early Timely. I'm not going to fault Comiclink although I verbally expressed my disappointment. It was the one and only time I consigned. As I said, and no doubt about it...next time I'll add a reserve.

My selling on CL experience was similar to yours. I lost a fair amount on a few GA books that I consigned there. And these were key issues. So, next time I'll use a reserve for sure.

SA seems to do very well on CL though

I've never understood why Heritage does better with GA than CL. Are GA collectors so old school that they have to have a physical catalog? I don't see any other difference. Both companies are highly visible in the hobby.

And that might just be the difference. Heritage does a lot of cross-over promotions with their other clientele, the card guys, the coin guys, the vintage movie collectable guys, etc. I wonder how many of their comic sales actually go to collectors who really aren't "in the hobby" so much as folks from other hobbies who receive the comic catalgoues, see something cool and decide they want it.

I regularly receive promtional material for Heritage's coin auctions, and I've never purchased a collectable coin in my life, from Heritage or anywhere else. That doesn't mean that other folks might not do a little "crossing over" if the right opportunity presented itself.

Both clink and Heritage have a huge presence in the industry but if you ask me it islike walmart versus Macy's. Heritage gets more press coverage. They have 100x better scans than Clink including back and edge scans. I think some of this plays into the differencebetween the two

Heritage gets more press coverage

Heritage and Comic Connect have way better marketing at this point. Think of all the mainstream coverage each has garnered in the past year. This is largely about selling the story behind specific offerings. If you look at Heritage's press releases you'll see what I mean there.

Also, Heritage's website is pretty much the gold standard for auction sites. If you're serious about getting into vintage comics you're going to end up there in short order based on the research value initially.

No doubt GA does better on Heritage. I wonder if the additional fees make it a wash or if people still realize more cash on Heritage.

For some sellers, the difference between Heritage`s and Comiclink`s fees isn`t that big.

Also, Heritage's website is pretty much the gold standard for auction sites. If you're serious about getting into vintage comics you're going to end up there in short order based on the research value initially.

What's not to like about 10 year-old design, no tracking capability, smaller scans, and no archive? :sumo:

What's not to like about 10 year-old design, no tracking capability, smaller scans, and no archive? :sumo:

I recently showed a book on the Comiclink website to a buddy of mine, who codes mid-level commercial websites as a side business, and he just about doubled over in laughter, not from the prices people were paying for comics, but that they were buying them off a website that looked, in his words, like a "bad Russian hack-job". He couldn't believe the presentation and layout. I guess I just overlooked it, but honestly, it is exceedingly dated and lacks the basic functionality of not only a Heritage, but just about any other website where serious money is transacted.

What's exceedingly ironic though, is that with every C-link order I receive, I get one of those thick, four color, "Why Comiclink is the best place to consign your comics" pamphlets. Those things can't be cheap to produce, but unless you're a new customer, they are likely all but worthless and I end up throwing them away. In an age where everyone and everything is going digital, I would think the resources spent on expensive glossy marketing materials would be better allocated toward improving website functionality and design, but what do I know?

I would bet that four color brochure is 1.25 minimum. I have a website and a remodel is easier said than done when you are talking about functianality and appearance.

IMHO- Heritage is just as bad. If I was designing one there would be a database with about 10 search fields so every CGC comic could be a unique sku. That part of it would not be hard.

How cool would it be to have a want list notification on a CGC Serial number if you were interested in a particular copy of a book.

Clink and Mile High both have web pages that haven't been updated since the 1990s. So much can be done with database manegement nowadays and neither one seems to care a lick.

I like Heritage's site. Worldwide needs a field to exclude books that have already sold. Metro's site is fair but kind of blah. Same with Pedigree.

I don't like the way either Pedigree or ComicConnect let you track auctions, especially when it is down to crunch time. On Pedigree, if you are on the individual book page and refresh on a book you are winning, even if your bid is beated, it still says you are winning. I lost a book like that in the very first Pedigree auction and told Doug about it but it's never been fixed.

As far as not getting your price on CLink with 24 hours to go, seems pretty standard. You've gotta wait till the last six seconds most of the time to see if you hit the jackpot or got busted.

Heritage and Comic Connect have way better marketing at this point. Think of all the mainstream coverage each has garnered in the past year. This is largely about selling the story behind specific offerings. If you look at Heritage's press releases you'll see what I mean there.

And I get my Heritage winnings shipped extrememly fast, and often have them before I've even gotten an invoice! Their service rocks. :headbang:

And I get my Heritage winnings shipped extrememly fast, and often have them before I've even gotten an invoice! Their service rocks. :headbang:

Yeah, it's hard to argue with their results. Everything is packed very professionally, shipped fast, and often on open invoice. Unless they did something to screw it up, I'll be buying from them for the rest of my days.

Heritage's payment system also kills CLink. You can pay electronically in almost any fashion you want and you get a 1% discount for doing an eCheck. It's maybe not the biggest thing in the world but every little bit helps.

When I listed it I was resigned to the possibility that it could go for $400 (it's a western so no big multiples) but I was hoping for $500.

I'm just not sold on CL for GA.

It is at $436 with 30 minutes to go. Just curious what price will "sell" you on CL?

When I listed it I was resigned to the possibility that it could go for $400 (it's a western so no big multiples) but I was hoping for $500.

It is at $436 with 30 minutes to go. Just curious what price will "sell" you on CL?

anything over $500 no doubt, but he'd really sing their praises if it goes for $3,517.81.

I wouldn't worry, Gary. A lot of people wait for the last day to bid.

In my case I hope they forget to. :wishluck:

lol! I hope you got it! It's a beauty!

I wish I wasn't so smart though. I thought the book would go for $400. It goes for $436 and I net $392 - just about what I figured.

I turned down $400 for it so Comiclink cost me $8. :sumo:

Just once I'd like to have a huge win in an auction - where a $400 book goes for $3,517.81. I read about these things, but it never happens to me. :P

But I'm not complaining, but all the worrying isn't worth it. Better to sell here on the boards...

Richard, at this stage of my collecting/dealing career, I just don't want to take a bath on a book. Since, for the most part, I'm not dealing in uber-high-grade, expensive books, the chances of me taking a bath are about nil. But, I hate leaving money on the table. Selling a $400 for $200 would certainly irritate me.

But I'm not complaining, but all the worrying isn't worth it. Better to sell here on the boards...

I don't understand why more sellers don't take a shot on the Boards. It doesn't cost anything !?!

I don't understand why more sellers don't take a shot on the Boards. It doesn't cost anything !?!

I've been doing great lately on the boards. I love NO FEES!