• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U.S. presidents on funny book covers...

57 posts in this topic

Man I miss Reagan

88ec0d05a5e947312ec5f816035651cd_xl.jpg

If a peanut farmer from the South making the U.S. president was a bit mind-bending, then a Hollywood actor from the Golden State was equally or more so.

It's the 100-year anniversary of Ronald Reagan's birth. I've heard and seen a lot about this anniversary.

When I was in high school, in '81-85, I just knew that a Reagan mask was pretty essential if you wanted to put on a mask. :shrug: Of course, the Nixon mask was there first. As far as political persuasions, I always remember what the writer Stanley Crouch once said about politics: "I'm not so concerned with whether the cow comes from the right or left side of the pasture; I'm just concerned with whether or not the milk is sour."

scan.jpg

Mystic #4 is an FDR cover, not Teddy Roosevelt:

mystic4a.jpg

FDR also appeared on Real Heroes #1 and #4.

There were lots of presidents on the covers of Real Life. Woodrow Wilson on #2, Andrew Jackson on #3, Theodore Roosevelt on #4, and the jackpot on #6 with FDR and Grant on the same cover. Eisenhower was on #12 and Zachary Taylor on #29.

reallife3.jpg

Thanks to all who've posted. :foryou: I've learned a lot and enjoyed it.

I've edited my page 1 intro to reflect an extended list of kudos to those who contributed both here, and originally in mica's thread. Also, I've begun to edit page 1 to reflect a working list of books in chronological order.

Time to crank it up again...

Whether you're a great critic or great proponet of The Great Society, you have to chuckle at this one: Lyndon Baines Johnson channeling Michelangelo & Superman! (notions of divinity, super-heroes, and the Commander-in-Chief--now that's hybrid Americana :lol:)

If you want to get a good handle on LBJ, check out Robert Caro's books on him (at least from what I can gather).

1177449-greatsociety.jpg

Here's an underground rated X by the Puritan Fascists. :lol:

Who's the fellow on the far left? :shrug:

We see Nixon in the middle and a truly demonic looking Billy Graham, who, incidentally, really can't be made out to be a political culprit. He met with pretty much every president since who knows when. If he's a political offender, he's definitely an equal opportunity kinda guy. But my understanding is that his sermons were pretty much devoid of politics and focused on the Gospel. Some critics within the Church have said his sermons were too simplistic and not nuanced enough (even a select few nutjob theories have asserted that Graham is the Anti-Christ :roflmao:), but Graham definitely didn't go the way of Pat Robertson or the late Jerry Falwell, as far as politics. My memory of Graham is, say, from the '80s and forward, so I observed a much more mellow fellow. However, I've seen some clips of him preaching from the '50s and '60s, and he was definitely on the fiery side. :whatthe:

Wonder what Graham thought when Watergate and all the president's men was fully revealed. "Even the president of the United States must sometimes have to stand naked," growled a young Bob Dylan long before Watergate. Billy Graham could pretty much fit that metaphor into a sermon. :preach:

hbf_1_c.jpg