• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on latest Clink auction

35 posts in this topic

The auction was generally over priced. Would have liked to pick up one book but didn't want to over spend. Besides there is so much good stuff available on the market right now, I should be able to find a mini grail in the near future.

This seems like a good attitude to have.

It's easy to provide extra bells and whistles when you are taking 30% of the money instead of 10%. :D

Heritage has a link to gpa which is free for books they are selling

Comiclink won`t even let you see what books sold for previously on Comiclink! doh!

The auction was generally over priced. Would have liked to pick up one book but didn't want to over spend. Besides there is so much good stuff available on the market right now, I should be able to find a mini grail in the near future.

This seems like a good attitude to have.

Well I put in a bid that probably was a GPA high for a white paged Atlas Sub-Mariner issue and was the high bidder after internet bidding had closed. I didn't have time to do any floor bidding yesterday, but I was out bid. :cry: Now I'm getting a twitch to buy something after being shut out at Comiclink and Heritage. :ohnoez:

unfortunately, not only did I not pay attention, but I didn't bid this go around...meant too, but life keeps getting in the way...

Same here - didn't bid on a single GA book this time round.

Interesting that you two playas didn't participate and prices were stronger, yet in the past when you have bid prices have been soft. I sense a conspiracy hm

:whistle:

Is it possible to "short" comics??? hm

CLink needs a web update. Their sight is really atrocious and they should just consider it table stakes for the $$ they deal in.

Agree 100%...I was using the Heritage live mobile phone app yesterday, which was really amazing. Fun to watch the Archie #1 popping bids up all over the place, almost like being at the auction.

The tech and marketing tools definitely lends an air of professionalism to Heritage that CLink needs. They may not have the resources to produce a big catalog or advertise in Times Square, but at least the website should be revamped...it's a cluttered mess that looks like it was designed by a 10 year old who never cleans his room. Simplify the layout, make the checkout process less confusing, add item tracking (without having to bid), generate price reports for GPA, etc. Wouldn't take much effort....heck, I'd even do it in exchange for a few Rocky Mountain Batman's (thumbs u

It boils down to "you get what you pay for".

Heritage's site is awesome. The history they keep is awesome. The free GPA is awesome. The massive cut they take from the auction proceeds is not awesome.

Comiclink's site is terrible, but it does the basics, and they take a much smaller portion of the proceeds.

For run of the mill books, does Heritage get the 20% more or so that is needed to cover their extra fees? I doubt it.

For a lot of high quality GA material it probably makes sense to use Heritage, especially if you are a big seller that can get a better deal on the fees.

Do you shop at Walmart or Macy's? It generally depends on what your shopping for.

CLink needs a web update. Their sight is really atrocious and they should just consider it table stakes for the $$ they deal in.

Agree 100%...I was using the Heritage live mobile phone app yesterday, which was really amazing. Fun to watch the Archie #1 popping bids up all over the place, almost like being at the auction.

The tech and marketing tools definitely lends an air of professionalism to Heritage that CLink needs. They may not have the resources to produce a big catalog or advertise in Times Square, but at least the website should be revamped...it's a cluttered mess that looks like it was designed by a 10 year old who never cleans his room. Simplify the layout, make the checkout process less confusing, add item tracking (without having to bid), generate price reports for GPA, etc. Wouldn't take much effort....heck, I'd even do it in exchange for a few Rocky Mountain Batman's (thumbs u

I agree. There's no way to watch auctions (besides purposely putting in early bids). Much of the time when I bid on something, I sit and watch for a while to decide whether or not to "go for it." Without a watch option, I end up forgetting about the auction item -- unless it's such a standout that I end up making myself a bookmark for it.

Or is there a "watch" option I completely missed?

It boils down to "you get what you pay for".

Heritage's site is awesome. The history they keep is awesome. The free GPA is awesome. The massive cut they take from the auction proceeds is not awesome.

Comiclink's site is terrible, but it does the basics, and they take a much smaller portion of the proceeds.

For run of the mill books, does Heritage get the 20% more or so that is needed to cover their extra fees? I doubt it.

For a lot of high quality GA material it probably makes sense to use Heritage, especially if you are a big seller that can get a better deal on the fees.

Do you shop at Walmart or Macy's? It generally depends on what your shopping for.

There's a lot of truth to this...just by the nature of their commissions being so high, Heritage creates a void that someone needs to fill, and CLink seems to be it right now. They keep getting a great selection and crazy prices for high grade SA material....but still, it feels more like they're stocking a Wal-Mart with Nordstrom merchandise!

Comiclink won`t even let you see what books sold for previously on Comiclink! doh!

That's why you have to put in a bid on every item you want to follow. They usually start their auctions on a friday night and typically there is not a lot of action.

That's why you have to put in a bid on every item you want to follow. They usually start their auctions on a friday night and typically there is not a lot of action.

I know, and that`s what I used to do before they banned Asian customers. But it`s not very helpful for someone who`s new to their auctions and doesn`t have a personal database to access for some historical price info.

I know, and that`s what I used to do before they banned Asian customers. But it`s not very helpful for someone who`s new to their auctions and doesn`t have a personal database to access for some historical price info.

Why did they banned customers from Asia? Is this because of shipping?

I think it was because of frequent site hacks or rampant thrill bidding.

I think it was because of frequent site hacks or rampant thrill bidding.

Yeah, they just blocked out all ISPs from this part of the world because apparently some cyber-attacks on their site originated from out here. Their suggestion was I should use a proxy or VPN, which I don`t have access to at this time.

Why Comiclink handles this problem in such a blunt fashion, when I have never run into another e-commerce site that blocks me out (including any other comic book site), is beyond me. I guess it`s part of that whole outdated internet infrastructure issue that other people have been pointing out about Comiclink`s website.