• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics you remember seeing on a spinner rack as a kid!

48 posts in this topic

Later I got every All Star as they

came out (up to #53? <50-57>) and remember some specifically 18, 23, 27, 33, included.

I also remember getting All American 61 (Solomon Grundy) when it came out.

l wasn't a kid any more, except at heart, but I was walking down Bourbon St. in the French Quarter in New Orleans with my wife in the early 1970's when I was stopped in my tracks. Right next to my eyes in a tall spinner was a copy of Mickey Mouse Four Color 16, the Phantom Blot. This had always been one of my favorite comics, a bonafide grail, and to have it appear unexpectedly right next to me was truly amazing. It turns out that Roger Nelson, a long time collector turned dealer, had just opened a store and had put the spinner in front with some great comics in it to attract attention. He sure attracted my attention.

Great stuff!

(thumbs u

I was on a family vacation in South Lake Tahoe, and I went grocery shopping with my parents at what I think was a Safeway. The had a spinner rack full of comics, and one in particular jumped out at me, Hulk 372. It had that amazing Dale Keown cover with the Green Hulk splitting the Banner/Grey Hulk face in half. The insides were even more savage, as the Green Hulk first appeared in the issue and shed the bloody Banner husk from his body. Good stuff right there!

It had that amazing Dale Keown cover with the Green Hulk splitting the Banner/Grey Hulk face in half. The insides were even more savage, as the Green Hulk first appeared in the issue and shed the bloody Banner husk from his body. Good stuff right there!

:o

If you say so, but it certainly doesn't sound like something that would appeal to me.

(shrug)

Something else I remembered after reading this thread again. When I started collecting, summer 77, I found the following books on a spinner rack while I was at the seaside...

- World's Finest 158

- Batman 181

- Justice League 45

Out of interest, I checked the dates on these and they are all from June 1966. hm Were they maybe originally from a multi-pack? Anyhow, I bought them - couldn't turn down some decade-old American comic books for 10p each. :)

Captain America #199 - that haunted me for years, because Cap was (is!) my favorite and I had been following the Madbomb saga since #193, which was an ETERNITY for a nine-year old kid. I didn't have enough allowance money left to grab the #199 and when we went back to the drug store the next week, it was gone.

I have several copies now.

Star Wars #1 both .30 & .35 of course I bought the .30 ones doh! , Whitman 3-packs of pretty much everything out there at the time (I was cheap), DC and Marvel Treasuries, Howard the Duck #1, Machine Man #1 (Was my favorite of the late 70's).