• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cincinnati Comic Expo 9/17/11 - Infantino, Delbo, Moore

69 posts in this topic

header.jpg

The Cincinnati Comic Expo staff is going to be releasing a monthly newsletter.The newsletter will titled the Cincinnati XPress, your take home source for the Cincinnati Comic Expo. The newsletter will be available for pick-up at your favorite Cincinnati area comic store or you can download it off our website located here:

http://cincinnaticomicexpo.com/cincinnati-comic-expo-newsletter.php

The newsletter will feature interviews with comic creators attending the Expo as well as fun tips to look for to make the most of your experience at the upcoming show. Besides show information, we will have events and a schedule of comic related movie premieres. Right now we have several awesome interviews in the "can" and are mapping out the next 6 issues leading up to the Expo. Last month was out first release and April's looks to be a large step over that one.

The Cincinnati X-Press will be your one stop piece for everything to the Cincinnati Comic Expo. Give us feedback and let us know what you think. Also let us know what you would like to see or read more about.

CincinnatiComicExpo300RGBsmarto_w_logo.jpg

March 29, 2011

Luke Smarto Delivers the First Poster Art for the Cincinnati Comic Expo!

Luke Smarto is the artist behind the Cincinnati Comic Expo's first released poster image. Many of you have already seen his image put on postcards at various comic shops and shows throughout the Southwest Ohio region. That same image will be available on posters, sponsored by Antonelli College, at the 2011 Cincinnati Comic Expo. The poster will be one of 3 to the public for FREE!

The Cincinnati Comic Expo was able to catch Luke in between shows for him to answer some questions for us.

CCE - What gave you the idea for the first image for the 2011 Cincinnati Comic Expo? How was it working with Andrew Satterfield (director of the Cincinnati Comic Expo, who invited Luke to commission the first piece)? How much of a vision did he give and then let your artistic interpretation takeover?

Luke Smarto - The origin of the poster actually started as a commission piece for Andrew's daughter. The idea of doing a superhero ice cream social next to the fountain was his idea. I'm actually drawing a blank but I want to say the idea for using the image as a poster as well came about around the same time. Originally the scope was maybe 3 to 6 characters...but I really wanted to go big with the idea. I tried, literally, to fit in as many characters as I could and most importantly have them interacting; after all, comics are a storytelling medium. So in a way, if this was to be used as a "cover" for the Cincinnati Comic Expo, I felt like it should be something that should have to pull an audience in. Although a poster with 3 or 4 central characters could be just as effective, I really wanted to relay a feeling that your watching a fun event happening. I had a lot of freedom to add who I wanted, but again, since this started as a commission I wanted to make sure I incorporated some key characters that Andrew wanted and specific outfits they should be in. For example, Wonder Girl in the classic red outfit.

CCE - You have many characters on there. Was this an easy task to complete with so many focal points?

LS - As far as focal points, my aim was for there to be groups of interactions, such as the bottom right. we have Catwoman being true to form and stealing Invisible Woman's ice cream as she's distracted by Spider-Woman gasping at her ice cream falling out if it's cone. Then, behind her we have Zatanna casting a spell to catch the ice cream in mid-fall. In fact, almost every interaction can be read left to right, just like a comic page. Furthermore, I tried to arrange the groups of characters in triangles or pyramids in order to draw the viewer’s attention into the various interactions. not only among groups but also you can draw a focal point from Harley, then to Wonder Woman, then to the fountain/banner, then down to Invisible Woman, and finally to Spider-Woman. The use of multiple triangles and pyramids to give "multiple view points" within a composition is really something I admire most about the paintings of (Paul) Cezanne. I appreciate and admire so many different comic book artists but the idea of the modern comic book is in its infancy when placed within art history. Cezanne used a limited palette and often depicted objects in a tilted manner to give them movement. This combined with his use of shadow and ambiguous angles is what influenced and some would argue created post modern art.

CCE - A majority of your illustrations seem to be females or women. What is your draw or attraction to draw them over other superheroes?

LS - That actually came about my junior year of high school a long (long) time ago. Myself and two other friends would always draw mini-comics in art class and print them at the end of the semester. I had NO idea how to draw a woman. They were the stereotypical dudes with two misplaced lumps on there chest. So, I had just decided I was going to learn to draw women well and not feel like such a complete screw up. At the time, my two greatest comic book influences were at the time were Dave Stevens (The Rocketeer) and Mark Schultz (Xenozoic Tales). I also began really getting into all things vintage and pulp, so it really was a logical progression from there. The poster for the Expo however gave me a unique opportunity to sort of scale back the cheesecake and make something that could be enjoyed in particular by kids. It was a lot easier to do as some of my friends may think. (Ha!) In general, I just like using curves in figure design!

CCE - Are there any characters you left off that you would have liked to included?

LS - I do really wish I could have added more independent characters. Atom Eve in the upper right was really the only non-"Big Two" character. It would have been fun to add some deep cuts for the comic book folks like Joe Lombard (Madman), Cassie Hack (Hack/Slash), or Major Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell), but I had to keep the image generally accessible to a non-comic book audience. Then, once we get them to the show we can spring the trap and introduce them to a wide range of books and characters.

CCE - What other pieces or commissions are you currently working on? If someone wanted a custom commission, how do they get in contact with you or look at example of your work?

LS - I'm currently working on a bunch of trading card projects, past sets have included such comic properties as The Pro and Hack/Slash. I'm also working on a new story that will be an online comic. The current plan is to have the pages start posting late May or early June. You can always keep tabs on my art as well find commission information at http://kidantipathy.deviantart.com/. I'll also be posting a link to the webcomic as soon as it becomes available via the aforementioned site.

Be sure to check out Luke Smarto and his newest works at the 2011 Cincinnati Comic Expo.

March 29, 2011

We are thrilled to announce that Mitch & Elizabeth Breitweiser will be attending the Cincinnati Comic Expo!

Mitchell-Breitweiser-banner.jpg

Mitch Breitweiser

Since 2005, Mitch has been penciling, inking, and painting his way through dozens of Marvel comic books and covers. Mitch has left a lasting impression with his Captain America books including 2010's Captain America: Patriot Mini Series and the resent Captain America 615.1.

Elizabeth Breitweiser

A painter and former art teacher, Bettie Breitweiser came to the attention of Marvel editorial after coloring some of her husband's work. She's since paired her nuanced color palette to many of Marvel's greatest characters and creators, including Gabriel Hardman on HULK, and Butch Guice on Captain America.

SAMPLES OF THEIR WORK!

th_mitchell.jpgth_mitchell2.jpgth_mitchell3.jpgth_mitchell4.jpgth_mitchell5.jpgth_mitchell6.jpgth_mitchell7.jpgth_mitchell9.jpgth_mitchell8.jpg

Who’s Coming to the CCE as of April 1, 2011! Many More Names To Be Announced!

(Below is a partial list containing some of the awesome individuals attending our show. )

GUEST OF HONOR

Carmine Infantino

FEATURED GUESTS

David Aikins

Daryl Banks

Katie Cook

Elizabeth Breitweiser

Mith Breitweiser

Jose Delbo

Sean McKeever

Tony Moore

Dara Naraghi

Luke Smarto

Thom Zahler

ATTENDING CREATORS

Eric Adams

Andy Bennett

Josh Blair

Troy Boyle

Sean Forney

Rodney Fyke

Todd Goodman

WJ Grapes

Alex Heberling

Ricky Henry

Max Ink

Mike Maydak

Paul McCall

Rick McCollum

Kevin Meinert

Chris Pritchard

Joe Slucher

Jenny M. Stead

Scott Story

Brent Wood

MEDIA OUTLETS

Comic Related

Jonja.net

VENDOR’S

Cincinnati Bricks

Charles Bond Comics

Clifton Comics and Games

Comic Book World

Comics 2 Games

North Coast Nostalgia

Queen City Comics

Rockin Rooster Comics and Games

Super-Fly Comics & Games

The Dudes Comics

Up Up and Away Comics

Antonelli College

Yottaquest

April 1, 2011

In 1975 four comic book artists/fine illustrator/painters communed in a small artists’ loft in Manhattan's Chelsea district. The place was named, “The Studio”. The artists were Barry Windsor-Smith, Jeff Jones, Michael William Kaluta and Bernie Wrightson.

The Cincinnati Comic Expo would like to announce this once in a lifetime reunion of “The Studio” at their event on September 17, 2011. This will be the unseen event of 2011!

April Fools.

How about Charles Paul Wilson III, Crissie Zullo or Jenny Frison?

April 1, 2011

In 1975 four comic book artists/fine illustrator/painters communed in a small artists’ loft in Manhattan's Chelsea district. The place was named, “The Studio”. The artists were Barry Windsor-Smith, Jeff Jones, Michael William Kaluta and Bernie Wrightson.

The Cincinnati Comic Expo would like to announce this once in a lifetime reunion of “The Studio” at their event on September 17, 2011. This will be the unseen event of 2011!

That is quite a coupe to get that lot together. Congrats! I was going to be there anyway but my daughter is now totally psyched to see Bernie again.

At the risk of repeating a question that has probably already been asked, is CGC going to have represntation at the expo?

April 1, 2011

April Fools.

My daughter is now pretty unhappy. Can't believe I fell for it and passed it on to her. She doesn't want to come anymore and says you guys are butt-heads.

April 1, 2011

April Fools.

My daughter is now pretty unhappy. Can't believe I fell for it and passed it on to her. She doesn't want to come anymore and says you guys are butt-heads.

doh!

April 1, 2011

In 1975 four comic book artists/fine illustrator/painters communed in a small artists loft in Manhattan's Chelsea district. The place was named, The Studio. The artists were Barry Windsor-Smith, Jeff Jones, Michael William Kaluta and Bernie Wrightson.

The Cincinnati Comic Expo would like to announce this once in a lifetime reunion of The Studio at their event on September 17, 2011. This will be the unseen event of 2011!

April Fools.

doh!

April 1, 2011

In 1975 four comic book artists/fine illustrator/painters communed in a small artists loft in Manhattan's Chelsea district. The place was named, The Studio. The artists were Barry Windsor-Smith, Jeff Jones, Michael William Kaluta and Bernie Wrightson.

The Cincinnati Comic Expo would like to announce this once in a lifetime reunion of The Studio at their event on September 17, 2011. This will be the unseen event of 2011!

April Fools.

:whatev:

April 1, 2011

April Fools.

doh!

April 1, 2011

April Fools.

:whatev:

I talked to Jenny at C2E2. She appeared very interested. It may be possible that we have Seeley, Norton and her at the show. Just waiting on return e-mails.

April 9, 2011

The talented Chris Sprouse will be attending the Cincinnati Comic Expo!

Chris-Sprouse-banner.jpg

Chris Sprouse is best known for his work as the artist and co-creator (with Alan Moore) of the DC Comics series Tom Strong. His work Tom Strong earned the artist two Eisner awards and was a career highlight.

That career has now spanned two decades, with Sprouse working on numerous projects over the years for most of the major publishers in the industry.

He's drawn Legionnaires, Batman, Global Frequency, Ex Machina, Midnighter, and various Justice League books for DC, as well as pencilling X-Men and Spider-Man covers and interiors for Marvel Comics. With Terry Austin writing and inking, Sprouse also drew the comics adaptation of the Star Wars novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye for Dark Horse Comics in 1995. Chris then teamed up with Alan Moore for the first time on Supreme for Maximum Press, went on to illustrate Warren Ellis' WildC.A.T.S./Aliens crossover for Wildstorm Productions, before settling down for several years drawing the Tom Strong series. In 2004, Sprouse again worked with Ellis, designing and drawing the science fiction graphic novel Ocean, which earned the penciller a third Eisner nomination.

Most recently, Sprouse drew the first issue of the top-selling, Grant Morrison penned Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne series, before returning to Tom Strong for the Tom Strong and the Robots of Doom mini-series.

Currently, the artist is working on a brand new Tom Strong mini-series, Tom Strong and the Planet of Peril.

SAMPLES OF WORK!

th_sprouse1.jpgth_sprouse2.jpgth_sprouse3.jpgth_sprouse4.jpgth_sprouse5.pngth_sprouse6.jpgth_sprouse7.jpgth_sprouse8.jpgth_SprouseMMcoversmall.jpg

header.jpg

APRIL EDITION IS NOW AVAILABLE

The Cincinnati Comic Expo staff is happy to report that the April edition of the Cincinnati Xpress is now available on our website. This month’s newsletter features an interview with Luke Smarto and hits on events happening at the Expo! A limited number of the newsletters will be available for pick-up at your favorite Cincinnati area comic store beginning next week. If your shop is out of the print edition you can download it off our website located here: http://cincinnaticomicexpo.com/cincinnati-comic-expo-newsletter.php

The Cincinnati XPress is your one stop piece for everything to the Cincinnati Comic Expo. As always, give us feedback and let us know what you think.

Butch-Guice-banner4.jpg

April 21, 2011

The CCE is excited to announce that the talented Jackson “Butch” Guice will be making a rare appearance at our event on 9/17/11!

Guice was born in Chattanooga, TN and grew up in Asheville. He broke into the comics industry in 1980 with Marvel's Micronauts series. Since then his he has worked for such comic book giants as DC and Marvel, as well as independent publisher Dark Horse. He has taken on some of the world’s most recognizable comic book titles in his work, including X-Factor, Birds of Prey, Iron Man, Flash and the biggest hero of them all, Superman. Guice also collaborated with industry luminaries Ed Brubaker and Bryan Hitch on Marvel’s major publishing event, Captain America Reborn. You can currently catch Mr. Guice's work in Captain America.

Butch will be signing from 10:00am to 1:00pm only. He will then join our Captain America Retrospective panel as a featured speaker. The panel also features Timely artist Allen Bellman, Marvel artist Mitch Breitweiser and Marvel colorist Elizabeth Breitweiser. This panel cannot be missed as it brings together Captain America artists from the 1940's to the present.

SAMPLES OF BUTCH'S WORK!

th_guice21.jpgth_guice20.jpgth_guice19.jpgth_guice18.jpgth_guice17.jpgth_guice16.jpgth_guice15.jpgth_guice14.jpg

th_guice12.jpgth_guice11.jpgth_guice10.jpgth_guice9.jpgth_guice8.jpgth_guice7.jpgth_guice6.jpgth_guice5.jpg

th_guice4.jpgth_guice3.jpgth_guice2.jpgth_guice1.jpgth_action711.jpgth_action685.jpgth_action686.jpgth_action700.jpg