• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hold onto your hats for the May Heritage auction....

377 posts in this topic

I have to say, for what it is it's pretty unimpressive.

I'm sure it will go for a ton, but artistically it does nothing for me. Nothing dramatic about it.

I can't believe someone said that aloud. (tsk)

I have said it aloud on the message board more than once. I hate both the story and art from DKR. I gave my copy of the TPB to a friend at college, as I knew I would never read it again. Different strokes for different folks. I was wondering the other night what will happen to things like DKR and Watchmen, as a lot of people with the big money to spend were growing up on this stuff and currently have the money to throw around today. I don't know if stuff like this or even ally of comic art will fare as well with a new generation that will inevitably come along.

New generatioins will collect what they like (and remember), but we 80s collectors will remain in the 80s. Whether prices go up or down is irrelevant to many of us, as the intrinsic value of the page remains the same from a nostalgic standpoint, and in fact may actually escalate as we get older. I'm looking forward to being 80 years old and holding my art from the 80s and feeling how priceless it is to me, regardless of whether the open market at that time calls it worthless. This is the nature of a hobby or keepsake; your concerns arise out of this being a collectible or investment.

Pieces from DKR and Watchmen transcend mere nostalgia. We`re not talking about some Sal Buscema Defenders piece that will only be truly loved by someone who was a kid in the 1970s. They are 2 of the most important comic series of all time and have historical significance that will keep them prized by collectors even after the 80s generation has passed on.

I'm sure it will go for a ton, but artistically it does nothing for me. Nothing dramatic about it.

I have said it aloud on the message board more than once. I hate both the story and art from DKR. I gave my copy of the TPB to a friend at college, as I knew I would never read it again. Different strokes for different folks. I was wondering the other night what will happen to things like DKR and Watchmen, as a lot of people with the big money to spend were growing up on this stuff and currently have the money to throw around today. I don't know if stuff like this or even ally of comic art will fare as well with a new generation that will inevitably come along.

New generatioins will collect what they like (and remember), but we 80s collectors will remain in the 80s. Whether prices go up or down is irrelevant to many of us, as the intrinsic value of the page remains the same from a nostalgic standpoint, and in fact may actually escalate as we get older. I'm looking forward to being 80 years old and holding my art from the 80s and feeling how priceless it is to me, regardless of whether the open market at that time calls it worthless. This is the nature of a hobby or keepsake; your concerns arise out of this being a collectible or investment.

Pieces from DKR and Watchmen transcend mere nostalgia. We`re not talking about some Sal Buscema Defenders piece that will only be truly loved by someone who was a kid in the 1970s. They are 2 of the most important comic series of all time and have historical significance that will keep them prized by collectors even after the 80s generation has passed on.

You can't be serious, I'm sure Walking Dead has more legs than Watchmen.

Neither of the 2 let alone Walking Dead will ever be of any great significance. It's all early Frank Miller hype.

Neither of the 2 let alone Walking Dead will ever be of any great significance. It's all early Frank Miller hype.

What exactly do you mean by "has more legs?" And you seriously think Watchmen doesn't have any significance? It's generally considered the greatest comic written, for 25 years or so now. I don't know if there even was any thought about what the greatest comic was before Watchmen, and I can't see it being displaced easily.

I'm too much of an OA novice to know how this translates into saleability of the art though.

What exactly do you mean by "has more legs?" And you seriously think Watchmen doesn't have any significance? It's generally considered the greatest comic written, for 25 years or so now. I don't know if there even was any thought about what the greatest comic was before Watchmen, and I can't see it being displaced easily.

I'm too much of an OA novice to know how this translates into saleability of the art though.

I liked Watchmen a lot more than DKR, but I don't know if newer generation raised on video games will shell out big bucks for black and white panel pages. The covers don't have the characters, and there really aren't even any splash pages featuring the characters. Even the big budget movie didn't do that well with public. Not really sure about the Walking Dead comment though it seems a bit shilly. Adlard's art probably won't fare well long term especially considering a lot of it is smaller scale than most art. Tony Moore's art will sustain better BUT unless you already have some it's over priced and Tony still has most of the earlier covers and if he were to ever let them go I don't think there would be much of a secondary market willing to pay those types of prices.

What exactly does Frank Miller have to do with Watchmen?

Key SA super heroes and GA superheroes will always be 1st tier sought after product. I personally feel Watchmen and Walking Dead are 4th tier product.

Um...wow...OK, so, just for kicks, what constitutes in your world as 2nd and 3rd tier if one of the most highly regarded books of all time (Watchmen) constitutes as 4th tier and being in the same class as a modern (albeit very good) and no where near as iconic series?

Key SA super heroes and GA superheroes will always be 1st tier sought after product. I personally feel Watchmen and Walking Dead are 4th tier product.

First time caller here......

hm Which Key SA super hero could you be referring to?

I am at a loss.

Also

If Watchmen is 4th tier, who makes up tiers 2 and 3?

I'll hang up and listen for my answer.

:popcorn:

Um...wow...OK, so, just for kicks, what constitutes in your world as 2nd and 3rd tier if one of the most highly regarded books of all time (Watchmen) constitutes as 4th tier and being in the same class as a modern (albeit very good) and no where near as iconic series?

Everybody knows that the first tier of Golden Age artwork begins and ends with Krazy Kat, right? ;)

I personally feel you lose all credibility by placing Watchmen and The Walking Dead in the same tier, regardles of what tier it is.

I personally feel you lose all credibility by placing Watchmen and The Walking Dead in the same tier, regardles of what tier it is.

lol, I never heard of Watchmen and when I did, seeing the movie was krap. Walking dead was okay but just another zombie movie. Resident Evil series was the best. If everyone thinks Watchmen and Walking Dead are so great. Show me the movies, Watchmen, 1 and done and Walking Dead is on a B list cable show. Most people don't have cable. hm

It just seems like there are very few people who keep or continue to collect this type of stuff past the age of 60. It seems like most will unload their stuff by retirement age even if they thought years ago they would keep it till the day they die.

I'm not sure you can say that just yet, as this is a young hobby still. You cannot predict what those in their 60s would do until you get the first "generation" of OA hobbyists reaching that age. The OA craziness started with those collecting 70s and then 80s art. I think you have to wait until that generation hits their 60s in age to see what happens. I actually suspect that some will sell (if they need the money), but many would just hold onto it. Personally, I can't see selling any of the "good stuff" unless I have duplicates.

Hari

Oh, I thought it already happened (shrug)

In the early 70s, original strip art held a relatively high value compared to original comic book art, and owning a Segar Thimble Theatre or a Foster, Raymond or Hogarth was the pinnacle of collecting.

Seems as though that generation of collectors aged, fell by the wayside, became disinterested.

And here we are, the majority in our late 30s -late 40s, collecting the superhero stuff.

I haven't been collecting as long as you, but I've already had substantial periods of disinterest where I've stopped collecting comics and OA. My breaks from collecting tend to increase in frequency and duration so perhaps there's more than a few among us that will sell well before our 60s. :o

Spider-man, X-men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Green Lantern, Captain America are some 1st tier

2nd tier - Incredible Hulk, The Flash

3rd tier - Daredevil, Conan the Barbarian

4th Tier - Moon Knight, Watchmen, Walking Dead.

imo

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman? :shrug:

But I see where you're coming from. You're talking about characters. Watchmen as a collection of characters may not be top tier, but those twelve issues are some of the most important particular issues ever, taken as a whole. As such, I don't see why OA from those issues wouldn't continue to be in high demand.

It just seems like there are very few people who keep or continue to collect this type of stuff past the age of 60. It seems like most will unload their stuff by retirement age even if they thought years ago they would keep it till the day they die.

I'm not sure you can say that just yet, as this is a young hobby still. You cannot predict what those in their 60s would do until you get the first "generation" of OA hobbyists reaching that age. The OA craziness started with those collecting 70s and then 80s art. I think you have to wait until that generation hits their 60s in age to see what happens. I actually suspect that some will sell (if they need the money), but many would just hold onto it. Personally, I can't see selling any of the "good stuff" unless I have duplicates.

Hari

Oh, I thought it already happened (shrug)

In the early 70s, original strip art held a relatively high value compared to original comic book art, and owning a Segar Thimble Theatre or a Foster, Raymond or Hogarth was the pinnacle of collecting.

Seems as though that generation of collectors aged, fell by the wayside, became disinterested.

And here we are, the majority in our late 30s -late 40s, collecting the superhero stuff.

I haven't been collecting as long as you, but I've already had substantial periods of disinterest where I've stopped collecting comics and OA. My breaks from collecting tend to increase in frequency and duration so perhaps there's more than a few among us that will sell well before our 60s. :o

Thanks for the comment. My opinion was just that... opinion. I am not sure you can relate the same sort of nostalgia to strip art, but again just my opinion. Part of the reason is that most strip art titles end when the primary artist/writer stops, and thus the connection to the collector dies over time as well (i.e. no new collectors or readers for that character, and what is available is stuck in a different era and loses touch with the modern reader, as in "is dated"). By contrast, comic characters are ongoing, with more and more stories that can continue to reflect the times and relate to the new collector. Thus, I am not sure that what happened to strip art will be mirrorred in comic art. Time will tell, of course.

Hari

Spider-man, X-men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Green Lantern, Captain America are some 1st tier

imo

I thought you said GA and SA are the first tier, yet you have Wolverine here? And, similarly, how then can Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman not be on the list? And, I would argue that the SA X-Men are irrelevant to most collectors these days, where the key characters were all created after 1975 (Wolverine, for one).

But, of course, it's good that people have different tiers or we'd all be collecting the same stuff!

imo

I thought you said GA and SA are the first tier, yet you have Wolverine here? And, similarly, how then can Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman not be on the list? And, I would argue that the SA X-Men are irrelevant to most collectors these days, where the key characters were all created after 1975 (Wolverine, for one).

But, of course, it's good that people have different tiers or we'd all be collecting the same stuff!

Most key characters are GA and SA, heck TMNT is copper but I would place them on 1st tier level because they are fun stuff and mega huge.

I was responding to the super key SA question. Of course Batman and Superman are mega 1st tier. I would place Wonder Woman 3rd tier with Aquaman.

imo

Frankly,

I've never heard of any seasoned art collector, investing serious money into the hobby, who collects by character alone.

That's something newer collectors tend to do. That's something I did early in my collecting life, but experience has taught that the artwork is only as good as the penciler's hand and the inker's brush.

Certain landmark stories or issues are landmark usually as a combination or art and story. Not simply because Batman, for example, is in the book.

There is incredibly crappy X-men art from the Silver Age, the same goes for every character on your list.

There are pages of Spider-man artwork that will never be sought after or valuable because they are just BAD, but truly well written, and well drawn stories will have a following and will be sought after not simply because of the character in them.

imo

Frankly,

I've never heard of any seasoned art collector, investing serious money into the hobby, who collects by character alone.

That's something newer collectors tend to do. That's something I did early in my collecting life, but experience has taught that the artwork is only as good as the penciler's hand and the inker's brush.

Certain landmark stories or issues are landmark usually as a combination or art and story. Not simply because Batman, for example, is in the book.

There is incredibly crappy X-men art from the Silver Age, the same goes for every character on your list.

There are pages of Spider-man artwork that will never be sought after or valuable because they are just BAD, but truly well written, and well drawn stories will have a following and will be sought after not simply because of the character in them.

Combine them and you get ... DKR!!!