• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hold onto your hats for the May Heritage auction....

377 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to also back-up Gene here. I certainly don't always see eye to eye with him on his viewpoints, although we tend to agree more than disagree on the type of art and style of writing we collect. I would (and did) take his opinions at face value, though, as I've never known him to have ulterior motives in this hobby, certainly not for a piece of art. Unlikely many who would do anything it takes to get that "Grail", Gene has often backed down and certainly wouldn't put art above his ethics. He keeps this hobby in perspective.

As for the two possibilities that are stated as likely behind-the-scenes motives, I would say that (a) if he's posting negatively about this art, and states he isn't going to bid/buy it, then I would believe him, and (b) he has more than enough money to be a player in the bidding and even the winning of this piece if he wanted to (just look at the thread on these boards about what he picked up in February alone... by my estimate, roughly 100K cash).

I've oftentimes poked fun at Gene for doing the "sky is falling" routine and then still buying like it's the "up and coming hot collectable", but I think that's just his lithium levels running low ;) As a doc, I can take care of that part (Gene, just let me know what pharmacy you use and I'll call in the refill!).

Sorry, Gene, couldn't resist!

Hari

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to also back-up Gene here. I certainly don't always see eye to eye with him on his viewpoints, although we tend to agree more than disagree on the type of art and style of writing we collect. I would (and did) take his opinions at face value, though, as I've never known him to have ulterior motives in this hobby, certainly not for a piece of art. Unlikely many who would do anything it takes to get that "Grail", Gene has often backed down and certainly wouldn't put art above his ethics. He keeps this hobby in perspective.

As for the two possibilities that are stated as likely behind-the-scenes motives, I would say that (a) if he's posting negatively about this art, and states he isn't going to bid/buy it, then I would believe him, and (b) he has more than enough money to be a player in the bidding and even the winning of this piece if he wanted to (just look at the thread on these boards about what he picked up in February alone... by my estimate, roughly 100K cash).

I've oftentimes poked fun at Gene for doing the "sky is falling" routine and then still buying like it's the "up and coming hot collectable", but I think that's just his lithium levels running low ;) As a doc, I can take care of that part (Gene, just let me know what pharmacy you use and I'll call in the refill!).

Sorry, Gene, couldn't resist!

Hari

+1 (especially about the lithium) :baiting:

I don't know Gene personally, but I must say I have always (and I do mean always) enjoyed reading his comments and opinions. I have never seen anything other than Gene being a stand up guy !
Same here! (thumbs u

I never said he wasn't a stand up guy. Gene, I have heard nothing but great things about you as a buyer and as an honest person to do business with.

We all have our motives for posting though. In my case, I'll admit I am priced out of buying great Miller pieces. I however already have a couple nice ones, so I would like to see this page sell for five hundred million dollars.

Gene's a smart guy, he knows what he is doing when he constructs a post. He has a motive, too.

I never said he wasn't a stand up guy. Gene, I have heard nothing but great things about you as a buyer and as an honest person to do business with.

We all have our motives for posting though. In my case, I'll admit I am priced out of buying great Miller pieces. I however already have a couple nice ones, so I would like to see this page sell for five hundred million dollars.

Gene's a smart guy, he knows what he is doing when he constructs a post. He has a motive, too.

I think you might be giving Gene a bit too much credit here. Do you really think him posting his honest opinion of this page is going to make it sell for $1 less than if he'd not said a word?

Some of us just post to make conversation. It doesn't have to be so nefarious.

Yes, his dream is for the world to melt down and all assets (whether OA, fine art or gold) to plunge down to nothing, so that he can hang the Mona Lisa in his bomb shelter while he strides like Mad Max amidst the ruins.

So what`s your point?

Are you saying that Gene`s the Robert Parker of the OA world? Does he have the power to make or break a piece of art? Will his criticism of Frank Miller cause legions of Miller fans to dump their Daredevils and Dark Knights like so much bad wine?

For $20, I prefer the TPB. In full color of course. With the remaining 100K, I prefer the Mercedes S Class.

Or a small house. :preach:

Thanks for the Perspective.

Andrew

Well heck, if we`re doing the perspective thing, how about buying an art book that contains a picture of Picasso`s "Garcon a la pipe" (not even the most expensive painting) and using the remaining $104,199,950 to buy a brand new Boeing 737-900ER (not sure if that price includes the engines or not) AND 10,500 ozs. of gold, which will still leave you with about $4 million.

Thanks for the testimonials and kind words of support from everyone. :blush: (thumbs u

At the end of the day, I'm here to make conversation and socialize with my friends and fellow collectors. If sometimes I say things that people disagree with, at least it helps further the discussion and stimulates everyone to reevaluate and sharpen their positions. I certainly have learned a lot from other Boardies myself through the frank interchange of information and ideas.

I never have any ulterior motives when posting here. I just speak my mind, or refrain from posting altogether if I think what I say may damage a potential sale or hurt someone's feelings. In this case, I am metaphysically certain that no one is going to bid a single penny less because of anything I say, so I felt comfortable posting my frank thoughts about the page, both good and bad (as have many others here), especially since I have never had, for even a millisecond, any intention of going after it.

I have several Miller pieces in my collection myself (not all of them are posted on my CAF site, incidentally). I also have a good relationship with Todd and Steve and Heritage generally. Why would I want to see this page do poorly (which it most certainly won't, anyway)? Nothing at all about what Jeff says makes any sense, and I'm glad that most people here can see that.

Gene

Thanks for the testimonials and kind words of support from everyone. :blush: (thumbs u

At the end of the day, I'm here to make conversation and socialize with my friends and fellow collectors. If sometimes I say things that people disagree with, at least it helps further the discussion and stimulates everyone to reevaluate and sharpen their positions. I certainly have learned a lot from other Boardies myself through the frank interchange of information and ideas.

I never have any ulterior motives when posting here. I just speak my mind, or refrain from posting altogether if I think what I say may damage a potential sale or hurt someone's feelings. In this case, I am metaphysically certain that no one is going to bid a single penny less because of anything I say, so I felt comfortable posting my frank thoughts about the page, both good and bad (as have many others here), especially since I have never had, for even a millisecond, any intention of going after it.

I have several Miller pieces in my collection myself (not all of them are posted on my CAF site, incidentally). I also have a good relationship with Todd and Steve and Heritage generally. Why would I want to see this page do poorly (which it most certainly won't, anyway)? Nothing at all about what Jeff says makes any sense, and I'm glad that most people here can see that.

Gene

Hey Gene, you are tops and my book, keep posting on this forum as I think everyone enjoys and valus your opinion and perspective. (thumbs u

For $20, I prefer the TPB. In full color of course. With the remaining 100K, I prefer the Mercedes S Class.

Andrew

Well heck, if we`re doing the perspective thing, how about buying an art book that contains a picture of Picasso`s "Garcon a la pipe" (not even the most expensive painting) and using the remaining $104,199,950 to buy a brand new Boeing 737-900ER (not sure if that price includes the engines or not) AND 10,500 ozs. of gold, which will still leave you with about $4 million.

......which can be divided equally between concubines and fast food. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Andrew

......which can be divided equally between concubines and fast food. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You could send the 737 to pick up the fast food for you.

Figure over 80% of the world does not care or follow American comics.

Considering there are 6.9B people in the world and 100,000 is a huge print run for a comic these days, I think that percentage is a bit low. ;)

On the subject of tiers, I figure in 20 years possibly only Watchmen will still of any significance, but the original art won't be except for the Sally Jupiter poster by James Jean. But this is just my opinion. Think about it, if the fans collecting were born in 1970 they will be 60yo in another 20 years and dealing with the current debt in the US or trying to retire, take vacations, live life before it is over. Similar thing happend with strip art, animation art, and is beginning to already happen with comic art.

Edwin

I really hope you're right. I'll be 52 in 20 years and if Watchmen/DKR art is seen as insignificant, I will be happy to wallpaper my house with it.

See, that's the hope that I have, too. These people who wander around predicting the demise of all sorts of things in comics just make me hope they're true.

I love the artform for the artform's sake. If I can buy the cover to DK #2 for $500 I will do it, and I'll be thrilled to.

It's win-win for guys like us.

Hi Gene,

Just reminding the board that your actions seldom match your words.

The piece is arguably the best interior of all 4 books, and was selected by Frank and DC marketing execs to be used for posters, buttons, ads, statues and more. There are 1,000 positive things you could write about it, yet you chose to compose a 3 paragraph trashing of it. You're a smart guy. There is a reason you did that.

I concede a couple of your points: No, Robin is not green, red, and yellow in the OA, and the sky is not blue in the OA either.

Jeff

Arguably the best?

I can think of at least 10 pages that are better.

Yes, his dream is for the world to melt down and all assets (whether OA, fine art or gold) to plunge down to nothing, so that he can hang the Mona Lisa in his bomb shelter while he strides like Mad Max amidst the ruins.

So what`s your point?

Are you saying that Gene`s the Robert Parker of the OA world? Does he have the power to make or break a piece of art? Will his criticism of Frank Miller cause legions of Miller fans to dump their Daredevils and Dark Knights like so much bad wine?

:wishluck:

Please, oh please, oh pleeeease....

I love this page, but I wouldn't pay the kind of money its projected to bring, simply because the price is inflated by artificial scarcity.

There's no lack of DKR pages in existance. They haven't been destroyed in a fire, lost over time, or even just naturally absorbed into the hobby. The average collector simply can't acquire a page because the vast majority is controlled by a very small number of individuals. While that certainly drives prices in the short term, I'd have a hard time sleeping at night knowing my $200K page could lose over half its value if one person decided to leave the hobby.

Figure over 80% of the world does not care or follow American comics.

Considering there are 6.9B people in the world and 100,000 is a huge print run for a comic these days, I think that percentage is a bit low. ;)

On the subject of tiers, I figure in 20 years possibly only Watchmen will still of any significance, but the original art won't be except for the Sally Jupiter poster by James Jean. But this is just my opinion. Think about it, if the fans collecting were born in 1970 they will be 60yo in another 20 years and dealing with the current debt in the US or trying to retire, take vacations, live life before it is over. Similar thing happend with strip art, animation art, and is beginning to already happen with comic art.

Edwin

I really hope you're right. I'll be 52 in 20 years and if Watchmen/DKR art is seen as insignificant, I will be happy to wallpaper my house with it.

See, that's the hope that I have, too. These people who wander around predicting the demise of all sorts of things in comics just make me hope they're true.

I love the artform for the artform's sake. If I can buy the cover to DK #2 for $500 I will do it, and I'll be thrilled to.

It's win-win for guys like us.

$500?? :insane: Come on RMA even if the hobby became a true nuclear wasteland you wouldn't be able to buy the cover to #2 for 500 bones. Even in the most apocalyptic scenario its still some five figure amount.

Same with unrestored action 1s and the like... they are never ever going to be ten bucks.