• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 13th to 15th

13th to 15th  

291 members have voted

1. 1. 13th to 15th

137 posts in this topic

I'm baffled at how anyone could be voting off ASM 1 already....

I`m equally baffled by how anyone could have voted off books like Adventure 247, Flash 123 and Flash 105 already.

I have to say that I lost a lot of interest in this exercise after Flash #123 went off so early. It is still fun, but the poll was clearly not about significance at that point.

My votes... ASM 1, FF 5, FF 48
Exactly the same for me. (thumbs u
Just having some fun by giving each character or group one chance only. :)

I was sorry to see The Legion / Adventure 247 exit so soon, and the introduction of the Multiverse concept into DC continuity should've carried Flash 123 much further. (shrug)

I`m equally baffled by how anyone could have voted off books like Adventure 247, Flash 123 and Flash 105 already.

I have to say that I lost a lot of interest in this exercise after Flash #123 went off so early. It is still fun, but the poll was clearly not about significance at that point.

I collect DC and Marvel keys,so don't get me wrong when I say this.Although very significant books in the whole scheme of things,Flash #105 & #123,really? 105 is an origin & 1st app. of Mirror Master,and 123 is a re intro of the Golden age Flash and 1st mention of Earth 2,I say nothing special,when it comes to the first appearances.I could see the argument for Adventure #247,but ASM #1 although not a 1st app. of Spider-man,set the tone for the whole Marvel Universe. 2c

My picks for this round: Avengers #1, Daredevil #1, Fantastic Four #48.

Avengers #1 - Sure it's the first amalgamated team of Marvel characters, but it was the inevitable Marvel doppelganger of the JLA.

Daredevil #1 - In my opinion, DD was a 2nd tier character even in the Silver Age.

FF #48 - Silver Surfer was the darling of the late Silver Age, but I also consider him to be a 2nd tier character. Galactus is a great villain, but for a long time he was just a "FF" villain rather than a "Marvel Universe" villain.

I know ASM #1 and FF #5 are getting a lot of votes, but I think they deserve to carry on for another round. ASM #1 for it's first crossover status (otherwise it would be the Marvel Group of Independant Characters rather than a "universe"). True FF #12 ties with it, but the addition of J. Jonah Jameson is worth giving ASM #1 the nod. I believe FF #5 deserves another round because Dr. Doom was the first true Marvel Universe villain, crossing swords with just about every Marvel hero over the course of the Silver Age.

lol

You Marvel Zombies are something else...

;)

Without Showcase #4, there is, ARGUABLY, no DC Silver Age. Without DC's Silver Age....and understand that every single major DC SA character, including even the Atom, was introduced and being published BEFORE FF #1 came out...there is arguably no Marvel Silver Age.

Showcase 4 is the key Silver Age book. Case closed.

:makepoint:

lol

;)

Without Showcase #4, there is, ARGUABLY, no DC Silver Age. Without DC's Silver Age....and understand that every single major DC SA character, including even the Atom, was introduced and being published BEFORE FF #1 came out...there is arguably no Marvel Silver Age.

:blahblah:

we shall have to wait till the end..............but somehow I don't think it will be no.1

lol

;)

The argument could be made that B&B #28 is the key SA book as well since it was Stan's inferior knock off of it that started the Marvel SA age...........

Adventure #247 has definitely declined in stature along with the Legion. The other two Flash books really are only key if you are a Flash fan first, DC SA fan second. Unfortunately for some of us, both of those categories probably have fewer collectors than Daredevil............... doh!:tonofbricks:

lol

;)

Showcase 4 is the key Silver Age book. Case closed debatable

fixed that for ya (thumbs u

lol

;)

I hold no illusions that AF #15 is, far and away, the most important Silver Age book ever published. It is. Spiderman succeeded so far above and beyond the rest of the SA, even FF, that it's just not really debatable with any sincerity. Spidey is #3 in the world. Only Supes and Bats are more popular.

But it would be nice if a great deal of you Marvel Zombies would take a much more objective view of the era. As has been said, over and over, it's absurd that Flash #123, which originated the concept that has steered large parts of the DCU for FIFTY YEARS is voted off before books like FF #48, which debuted a character that couldn't hold his own series, and essentially disappeared from the entire Marvel U for 10+ years. And I love the Surfer.

Broaden your horizons, gentlemen, and have a little perspective.

Adventure #247 has definitely declined in stature along with the Legion. The other two Flash books really are only key if you are a Flash fan first, DC SA fan second. Unfortunately for some of us, both of those categories probably have fewer collectors than Daredevil............... doh!:tonofbricks:

Flash 123's importance has nothing to do with the Barry or Jay. It's importance is that the two of them are together in the same book and it laid the foundation for 50 years of story telling in ALL titles that still continues today. I would say that is important.

lol

;)

I hold no illusions that AF #15 is, far and away, the most important Silver Age book ever published. It is. Sipderman succeeded so far above and beyond the rest of the SA, even FF, that it's just not really debatlable with any sincerity. Spidey is #3 in the world. Only Supes and Bats are more popular.

But it would be nice if a great deal of you Marvel Zombies would take a much more objective view of the era. As has been said, over and over, it's absurd that Flash #123, which originated the concept that has steered large parts of the DCU for FIFTY YEARS is voted off before books like FF #48, which debuted a character that couldn't hold his own series, and essentially disappeared from the entire Marvel U for 10+ years. And I love the Surfer.

I am not attempting to be provacative, but I think I have a fair question and I'm hoping to get an honest answer from our DC collecting bretheren.

You make a fair case and I understand that importance does not always translate to value. However, I am very curious as to why the throngs of DC collectors haven't elevated the value of this book beyond its current state. It has been argued here that it is quite significant and a key book, and I already stated my opinion that I just don't see it.

ammmm.... because there are not throngs of DC collectors. Even in this thread we are outnumbered 20-1. And despite that high grade copies still have sold from 10K-23K in auction and it does not even have a first appearance. I think that states its importance.

lol

;)

I hold no illusions that AF #15 is, far and away, the most important Silver Age book ever published. It is. Sipderman succeeded so far above and beyond the rest of the SA, even FF, that it's just not really debatlable with any sincerity. Spidey is #3 in the world. Only Supes and Bats are more popular.

I am not attempting to be provacative, but I think I have a fair question and I'm hoping to get an honest answer from our DC collecting bretheren.

You make a fair case and I understand that importance does not always translate to value. However, I am very curious as to why the throngs of DC collectors haven't elevated the value of this book beyond its current state. It has been argued here that it is quite significant and a key book, and I already stated my opinion that I just don't see it.

What precisely do you mean? I'll answer in a couple of different ways:

First, in pure apples for apples comparison, that is "Golden Age revival", its only real Marvel analogs are FF #4 and Avengers #4. Up until 2009, it did VERY well against Avengers #4, beating it on sub-per-sub, grade-per-grade basis. Cap's been HUGELY popular since then, and the book has understandably taken off.

FF #4 beats it, but not because it's Subby...but because it is FF #4.

Second, on a "19th issue of an established SA title", it beats every other SA book out there. Nothing even comes close. It is so important to the DCU, it stands head and shoulders abover every other SA series that exists that late in the series.

Third, I will compare it to GA Supes, Bats, and Cap. No one disputes that Cap is Timely's most important creation during the GA. Yet Cap #1 can't hold a candle to Action #1, 'Tec #27, and has a tough time pacing the other DC GA giants.

It takes Marvel Comics #1 to come close, and even that star has faded over the last decade.

So...for what Flash #123 IS, DC fans have stepped up, and have made it a clear, breakout book. But it's tough to compare it to Marvel SA because Marvel SA was much, much higher quality than DC. They were more original, they were more literary, they were more adult...and they rule the Silver Age.

Flash #123 will never be in the same league as AF #15. But for what it is, and the impact it had on DC, it is clearly one of the more important books of the period.

well said.

Showcase 4 reimagined the GA Flash.

Showcase 22 did the same for Green Lantern.

Showcase 34 re introduced Atom

DC was onto something, mining their earlier successes for a new audience.

After a few heroes were reinvented, DC came up with Flash 123 and began the process by which ALL DCS GA characters would be re woven into "current" DC universe as regular characters. The actual original GA versions returned to life!

They appeared mostly in the annual JSA/JLA crossovers. But in later decades many would get their own titles.

Flash 123 was a very innovative book!

Why do you say the value of the book isn't elevated? It was a $20K+ book in 9.4 recently. For a DC SA book, that IS elevated and one of the 10 most valuable SA DC books in that grade. Compared to Marvel, that's peanuts, but for a DC it's a lot.

There are only a few SA DC books capable of breaking the $100K barrier in 9.4 at this point in time: Showcase 4, Showcase 22 and B&B 28. There are also only a relatively small number of SA DC books capable of breaking the $20K barrier.

In any event, I fail to understand how value necessarily translates into importance. I would put GSX #1 and Hulk #181 in my Top 100 most important comics, but I don't think either, on a grade for grade basis, would be among the Top 100 most valuable comics.