• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 13th to 15th

13th to 15th  

291 members have voted

1. 1. 13th to 15th

137 posts in this topic

I believe FF #5 deserves another round because Dr. Doom was the first true Marvel Universe villain, crossing swords with just about every Marvel hero over the course of the Silver Age.

He was also ripped off by George Lucas to create Darth Vader. :sumo:

I believe FF #5 deserves another round because Dr. Doom was the first true Marvel Universe villain, crossing swords with just about every Marvel hero over the course of the Silver Age.

You made Mole Man cry.

Jack

ASM #1 is hanging on by its fingernails. Now I regret voting for DD #1.

You think?!?! (I'm being facetious here)

I took my man crush outta the equation here for Matt and I was non-bias upon voting last evening. I voted DD off the island cause deep down inside, gulp, I felt Spidey #1 has more right to make it to the next round over DD.

But seeing it neck and neck now....Man I should have picked that nerd in a heart beat!!

well said.

Showcase 4 reimagined the GA Flash.

Showcase 22 did the same for Green Lantern.

Showcase 34 re introduced Atom

DC was onto something, mining their earlier successes for a new audience.

After a few heroes were reinvented, DC came up with Flash 123 and began the process by which ALL DCS GA characters would be re woven into "current" DC universe as regular characters. The actual original GA versions returned to life!

They appeared mostly in the annual JSA/JLA crossovers. But in later decades many would get their own titles.

Flash 123 was a very innovative book!

It was extraordinarily innovative, and very clever. I don't know if anything like it had been done in science fiction prior to this, but it was an exceptionally elegant way to re-introduce the GA DC stable into the SA DCU, and becamse a device used by both Marvel & DC (and even others) up to the present day.

The most brilliant ideas are the ones that look so obvious in hindsight.

well said.

Showcase 4 reimagined the GA Flash.

Showcase 22 did the same for Green Lantern.

Showcase 34 re introduced Atom

DC was onto something, mining their earlier successes for a new audience.

After a few heroes were reinvented, DC came up with Flash 123 and began the process by which ALL DCS GA characters would be re woven into "current" DC universe as regular characters. The actual original GA versions returned to life!

They appeared mostly in the annual JSA/JLA crossovers. But in later decades many would get their own titles.

Flash 123 was a very innovative book!

It was extraordinarily innovative, and very clever. I don't know if anything like it had been done in science fiction prior to this, but it was an exceptionally elegant way to re-introduce the GA DC stable into the SA DCU, and becamse a device used by both Marvel & DC (and even others) up to the present day.

The most brilliant ideas are the ones that look so obvious in hindsight.

Yep, and it still got voted out in the first round. doh!

Adventure #247 has definitely declined in stature along with the Legion. The other two Flash books really are only key if you are a Flash fan first, DC SA fan second. Unfortunately for some of us, both of those categories probably have fewer collectors than Daredevil...............

And very fortunate for most of the rest of us because the comparative lack of demand has kept prices more reasonable so that it's been possible for us to accumulate more books and higher grade books than we would otherwise have been able to afford. Hey Flash fans, forget about the Scarlet Speedster. Spidey's the rage with the in-crowd. So dump all those semi-moldy old Flash books and get with it! I'm willing to take those silly Flash and other DC books off your hands - cheap!

;)

ASM 1, FF 48, DD 1. The others should be higher on the list.

I had to put the Avengers down before DD, even though they were one of my must buy titles in the SA. I just don't buy the team group angle as significant considering team groups had been "garden variety" since the 40's. I'm stronger towards the JLA as significant due to the high sales figures that inspired the launching of the Marvel Universe. I always thought DD was fairly original, with the blind-man angle. I suppose my choices are tiered with first appearance and originality at the top. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I had to put the Avengers down before DD, even though they were one of my must buy titles in the SA. I just don't buy the team group angle as significant considering team groups had been "garden variety" since the 40's. I'm stronger towards the JLA as significant due to the high sales figures that inspired the launching of the Marvel Universe. I always thought DD was fairly original, with the blind-man angle. I suppose my choices are tiered with first appearance and originality at the top. GOD BLESS...

Was blindness really that original a concept? Dr Midnite had already semi-pioneered that concept in the 1940s, and didn`t Stan Lee get his idea from Zatoichi, the blind Japanese swordsman?

Was blindness really that original a concept? Dr Midnite had already semi-pioneered that concept in the 1940s, and didn`t Stan Lee get his idea from Zatoichi, the blind Japanese swordsman?

That reminds me of a good funny "B" movie, Blind Fury. It's a good once in a blue moon movie(comedy/action), with Rutger Hauer as a blind swordsman back from Vietnam.

.....yeah, Stan was goodat snagging old pulp concepts and such, and then "modernizing" them. Until the information you just provided I had thought it to be original. Still, more unique than a team of superheros. The Avengers are still one of Marvel's better sellers so the choice was not easy. I'm not really down on team books ether.....B&B 28 and Adventure 247 would have a good shot at making my top 5. I'm still not sure where I'd put Showcase 4, maybe not # 1. It is the "return" of new superheros to the stands....but the market was obviously already receptive, the publishers were just short sighted and dense lol GOD BLESS...