• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know who this is?

70 posts in this topic

I know we had a discussion a few weeks ago about date stamps and some peoples dislike of them. Personally, i LOVE them. I was looking at one of my books today and wondered if anyone knows who this is? did he own a store or just a collector i'd like to know?

Obviously, based on the telephone number, it was stamped LONG ago but i would really love to know the story of the guy who stamped my book.

Charles E. Maher

??High Service Avenue

No. Providence, R.I

ht19b-1.jpg

Heres the front cover as well

ht19.jpg

I like them. On the back cover or interior. Not in the middle of the front cover.

Agreed. A front cover one isnt a deal breaker for me but obviously prefer back cover. The one on this book is almost perfect. Top back cover but a little tilted. If it was not tilted and had the date, i would actually pay extra for that. I love the name/address stamp.

It really gives some history to the book imo even if i dont know who the hell Charles Maher is (shrug)

Google! "Charles E. Maher, Providence, RI"...the first entry is a guy with that exact name who was ordained to the priesthood in 1960. He served in the Catholic Church until his retirement in 2001. This may well be the guy, and he may well still be alive. :whatthe:

Thats one of those Klondike 5-14587 kind of phone numbers,isnt that from the fifties when they had operators connect calls?

Thats what i figured. Before my time but i figured it's one of those phone numbers like you see in old movies when someone picks up the phone and tells the operator "connect me to West 7542 please".

Google! "Charles E. Maher, Providence, RI"...the first entry is a guy with that exact name who was ordained to the priesthood in 1960. He served in the Catholic Church until his retirement in 2001. This may well be the guy, and he may well still be alive. :whatthe:

I googled "Charles E Maher" and all it pulled up was some wannabe gangster looking kid in his 20's facebook page (shrug)

I was pretty sure it wasnt the same guy! lol

Apparenty adding "providence RI" makes a BIG difference. I'm going to try and contact him and ask him about the book (thumbs u

Thanks oakman (worship)

Assuming he retired at 65, that would make him born in 1936 and 9 years old when that book came out. It fits...

Assuming he retired at 65, that would make him born in 1936 and 9 years old when that book came out. It fits...

Only problem with that theory is that a 9 year old would most likely not have a stamp with his name on it. Unless he bought the book later and stamped it then. Also, why would an individual stamp his name on a comic book? It seems more like something a store or business would do???

Only problem with that theory is that a 9 year old would most likely not have a stamp with his name on it. Unless he bought the book later and stamped it then. Also, why would an individual stamp his name on a comic book? It seems more like something a store or business would do???

As a priest, he could have retired at 70-72 which would have made him about 14-16. Does seem a little odd but not out of the realm of possibility that a young teen would have a stamp with his name and address that he used on his books.

I googled "Charles E Maher" and all it pulled up was some wannabe gangster looking kid in his 20's facebook page (shrug)

Apparenty adding "providence RI" makes a BIG difference. I'm going to try and contact him and ask him about the book (thumbs u

Thanks oakman (worship)

I'm not oakman. :sorry:

:baiting:

As a priest, he could have retired at 70-72 which would have made him about 14-16. Does seem a little odd but not out of the realm of possibility that a young teen would have a stamp with his name and address that he used on his books.

Who knows. Maybe the priesthood calling included a certain amount of orderliness. I know my late granddad (no priest) imparted to me that you should date things. So, even to this day, I pretty much include dates on things. Maybe ol' Charles was given a handy dandy name/address stamp and went to town. :shrug:

If you get in touch with this guy, definitely keep us posted!

:popcorn:

I love date stamps or arrival markings.

This is even more appealing.

Fun mystery & fun CG thread.

:popcorn:

Thanks oakman (worship)

Oops, sorry about that man! :blush:

Thanks cloudofwit (worship)

Thanks oakman (worship)

Oops, sorry about that man! :blush:

Thanks cloudofwit (worship)

In this case, mistaken identity would prove fruitful. oakman29 owns a Hulk #1 and other SA keys, if I'm not mistaken. :think:

Who knows. Maybe the priesthood calling included a certain amount of orderliness. I know my late granddad (no priest) imparted to me that you should date things. So, even to this day, I pretty much include dates on things. Maybe ol' Charles was given a handy dandy name/address stamp and went to town. :shrug:

I'm definitely going to try and get in touch with the guy and will let you guys know the result.

Lets hope that i can:

A) get in touch with him

B) it is THE Charles E Maher and

C) he still is pretty sharp upstairs at his age and remembers collecting comics as a kid (thumbs u

What's the point really? Even if it is him...

I'm not really getting the point of contacting the guy. "I own a comic that has your stamp on it".

He responds "wow, that's neat"

Now what?

It's cool if you locate him but chances are he's too old to even remember.

I'm not really getting the point of contacting the guy. "I own a comic that has your stamp on it".

Now what?

You're probably right but to me it's cool to know where the book came from and a little bit of it's history. If it is him and he tells me something like "yeah, I bought that in RI when I was 10 at so and so store and stamped my name on it" and then tells me the story of when and why he sold it(maybe even for how much) to me, that is really cool.

In my eyes, it gives that plastic slab a little bit of history and personality. Not for everyone obviously but I think it's really cool (shrug)

Now what?

You're probably right but to me it's cool to know where the book came from and a little bit of it's history. If it is him and he tells me something like "yeah, I bought that in RI when I was 10 at so and so store and stamped my name on it" and then tells me the story of when and why he sold it(maybe even for how much) to me, that is really cool.

In my eyes, it gives that plastic slab a little bit of history and personality. Not for everyone obviously but I think it's really cool (shrug)

It is cool. Just read Jon's interview with Lamont Larson. Find out all you can, and get his reaction to knowing that comic book collectors think he's cool. Great blog material!

Now what?

It is cool. Just read Jon's interview with Lamont Larson. Find out all you can, and get his reaction to knowing that comic book collectors think he's cool. Great blog material!

I agree, totally cool. More often than not, they're impossible to find or dead already. I've done this a couple of times to no avail, but still enjoyed the sleuthing.