• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA mid grade run

11 posts in this topic

If it's a reading collection, art and story-wise Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four give more bang for the comic dollar.

Just my opinion, but after the first dozen and a half issues, the X-Men veer off into pedestrian territory -- good period pieces but not in the same league as a Lee/Ditko or Lee/Romita Spider-Man or a first 50 issues Lee/Kirby FF.

There's a consistency of excellence in the flagship titles.

I firmly believe that the prices of nice mid-grade copies of such books -- as the two random examples illustrated below -- represents money very, very well spent.

Of course I might be prejudice. :sumo:

ASM31FDec65.jpg

FF47FFeb66.jpg

After you get past the first 10, the FF isn't too horribly expensive.....but for something like this which won't be cheap even in Fine, I'd get the run I most want. Or you could do what I do, and get the ones from each run that you consider to be the coolest. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

After you get past the first 10, the FF isn't too horribly expensive.....but for something like this which won't be cheap even in Fine, I'd get the run I most want. Or you could do what I do, and get the ones from each run that you consider to be the coolest. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1

I "mainly" collect Avengers and Xmen but always try to pick up issues from other titles here and there that I think are cool and I find a good deal on. If you keep doing that for awhile, your main run(s) will be pretty set but you'll also have a bunch of other nice runs in the works that you can concentrate on after you finish off your main run (thumbs u

I haven't read through X-Men entirely yet. Just skimmed some early issues but I did read FF 1-126 and ASM 1-127 in the last two years and they are incredible. A few average issues in there but overall the stories were so well done (Stan Lee at his best) and the art amazing! Seriously you can't go wrong with the first 100+ issues of FF or ASM.

I also read through all of the Daredevil books form 1-500 (present). Took me 2 1/2 years to do it but it was worth it. I got to follow a single unique character through half a century of comic styles, fads, and storytelling. There were some clunkers in there but it simply woke me up to the really good stuff when that came along and there were PLENTY of great issues blocks in Daredevil.

X-men may have been the most character driven of all the Marvel books in the mid 60's....ahead of it's time....but nothing touches FF and ASM.....although when I was buying em off the stands in the 60's, I may have enjoyed Avengers most of all....Roy was really trying to make a name for himself. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a frien of jesus) (thumbs u

Hello,

Looking to build a mid grade run but not sure which would be the less expensive between x-men, spider-man or fantastic four.

Welcome to the boards Dinner.

Xmen cheapest

FF next

ASM most expensive

Perhaps you should read a few reprints and pick the set you enjoy the most.

Hello,

Looking to build a mid grade run but not sure which would be the less expensive between x-men, spider-man or fantastic four.

Welcome to the boards Dinner.

Xmen cheapest

FF next

ASM most expensive

Perhaps you should read a few reprints and pick the set you enjoy the most.

I dunno about ASM being more expensive then FF.( unless u include AF15)

The early issues of FF and ASM are comparable in price but ASM has lots of minor keys throughout the series that make it more expensive to collect. Outside of FF #48-50 (Silver Surfer/Galactus saga) there isn't much post #12 or so that demands a premium. The same can't be said for ASM, it's filled with lots of little key issues.