• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question re: what comics to get signed

19 posts in this topic

After collecting for quite some time, and then out of it for quite some time (15 years), I'm looking for some advice regarding what specific comics to get signed and graded at the upcoming Phoenix Comic Con. They have a great line up including Stan Lee, J.Scott Campbell, Lopresti, Kuhn, Tucci, Pulido, Laphem, Basuldua, van Sciver, Capullo, Fotos, Calafiore, Layman, Hama, McKone, Nat Jones, etc. See link for full list: http://www.phoenixcomicon.com/guests/category/comics. I think it would be a great opportunity to get some Marvel cover artists to sign along with Stan Lee, at $50 bucks a signature. I'm just not sure what specific issues would be worthwhile getting signed. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I know I plan on having some blank variants sketched by at least a few of them for grading. Looking forward to the FF #1 blank to have some DC characters done. Thanks.

WTTB

I'm guessing this will get repeated but you should get signed whatever you like. Key books are always popular choices, I like to get artist/creators first work signed. It's really what you think would look best in a yellow holder!

Agreed. Besides what issues I like for whatever reason (writer, cover artist, etc.), I'm at at loss for what the key issues may be. I know I'll have some Frazetta stuff signed with Fotos and Jones there. I also like several Campbell covers like Flash Rebirth 1, which would be good for a double sig with Lee. As far as key issues, I'm clueless. Would like to find out what several may be and have them signed by artist/writer and Lee if they're Marvel. I'll put together a list of what I have in mind and post it soon, just to see what people think. Re: key issues, feel free to educate this semi-newbie!

Too many books, too little time, not enough money! :cry:

I'm sure your first thought is to go crazy and sub everything, but you'll soon find out it can't be done! I would suggest you pick a catagory (fav character, artist, title, first appearance of, etc) and start from there.

Welcome to the boards!

I was in your boat in 2006-2007. I discovered SS and went CRAZY. I probably did 40% more than I should have the first time I got the opportunity to get some of my favorite creators. I did 15 Romitas, 20 Neal Adams etc. My advice is to choose examples of the work that are important to you, not what the world considers keys. If your favorite Romita books are romance and Creatures on the Loose, get those done, not ASM 39 and 129.

Assuming of course, that you are doing them to collect them, and not for re-sale. If they are for resale, get what the masses want; you will do better.

Get the highest grade done that fits your pocketbook. If you are going to do comics from your collection, be ready for a roller coaster ride. It takes a while to get adjusted to CGC-style grading. If you are doing Bronze, there are tremendous deals available on 9.4 and some 9.6 graded cgc books. it will likely be worth the investment. You may love your OO Avengers 150, but when it comes back 6.5, you will wish you had spent $30 on a CGC 9.4 and cracked it out for signing.

Have fun!!

I was in your boat in 2006-2007. I discovered SS and went CRAZY. I probably did 40% more than I should have the first time I got the opportunity to get some of my favorite creators. I did 15 Romitas, 20 Neal Adams etc. My advice is to choose examples of the work that are important to you, not what the world considers keys. If your favorite Romita books are romance and Creatures on the Loose, get those done, not ASM 39 and 129.

Assuming of course, that you are doing them to collect them, and not for re-sale. If they are for resale, get what the masses want; you will do better.

Get the highest grade done that fits your pocketbook. If you are going to do comics from your collection, be ready for a roller coaster ride. It takes a while to get adjusted to CGC-style grading. If you are doing Bronze, there are tremendous deals available on 9.4 and some 9.6 graded cgc books. it will likely be worth the investment. You may love your OO Avengers 150, but when it comes back 6.5, you will wish you had spent $30 on a CGC 9.4 and cracked it out for signing.

Have fun!!

I had books signed that a lot of other people wouldn't. I figured if I was going to get a book signed I generally tried to have the artist sign MY absolute favorite cover they did or favorite cover they did with a character I love. I am a big Kraven fan so I wanted Romita to sign either ASM 47 or Creatures son the Loose 32. I damaged ASM 47 taking it of a Universal Holder. doh! . I never felt quite right about having an artist sign a High Grade book from the Bronze age or earlier, so I found 9.6 Creatures on the Loose with a huge miswrap and had that signed. Why the hell did I have Todd Mcfarlane sign Spawn 2 and not issue 1? Because Spawn 2 is probably my favorite cover of the 90's it's neck and neck with Infinity Guantlet 1 by Perez which is a book I had Perez and Starlin do. Unfortunately people like Neal Adams have so many great covers it's hard to decide. My favorite NA cover might be Batman 221 just for the colors but I went with Batman 251 since I love the Joker. I had Rich Buckler sign Spectacular Spider-Man 119 just because i loved the lay out of the cover.

There were some artists I wanted more than 1 signature book from but nothing near 15-20. Probably more like 3 books. The only person I ever considered getting a run done by was Bill Sienkiewicz for his Moon Knight Issues from the teens to around issue 30. I did eventually sell most of the books I had. I probably didn't make out too bad considering the types of books I had done (non keys not super high grade) just because I sold a few years ago before Stan Lee had signed more books than he left raw ones out there.

If they are for you to treasure forever, set them all of the ones to choose from for a particular artist and weed it down one by one until you get the desired number for that artist or you will bankrupt yourself trying to get everything done.

You can't go wrong with getting keys signed. I would also recommend that if you have any favorite covers done by any of the artists in attendance then get them signed as well. Nothing better than seeing your favorite cover signed and in the nice pretty CGC case displayed nicely

Weeding it down slowly. Thanks for the advice. Will likely get a few J. Scott Campbell covers signed, van Sciver covers, 3 out 4 Haunts sigs and send away for the Kirkman sig to make it a homerun and some Spideys with Mcfarlane and Lee. Might as well get some Lady Death and Frazetta's as well. Wish there were some DC blanks to have sketches done.

Sketch possibilities include EVS, Tucci, JS Campbell, Capullo, Calafiore, McKone and Guillory. Jay Fotos and Nat Jones did the Frazetta comics, both will be there. I'd still like the DC blank. I guess nobody has had a Marvel blank burst into flames after putting a DC character on it.

Sketch possibilities include EVS, Tucci, JS Campbell, Capullo, Calafiore, McKone and Guillory. Jay Fotos and Nat Jones did the Frazetta comics, both will be there. I'd still like the DC blank. I guess nobody has had a Marvel blank burst into flames after putting a DC character on it.

EVS and it hasn't burnt up yet...

EthanVanSciver.jpg

Honestly, Billy Tucci is a VERY inexpensive sketch that looks beautiful. Get that AND an EVS or JSC or McKone. You can't go wrong with any of those artists really.