• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll: Should a separate forum be created for discussing grading issues?

Should Architect create a separate forum for grading issues?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Should Architect create a separate forum for grading issues?

38 posts in this topic

IMO, the current setup is fine. You can divide this board up into 100 catagories, but that's not going to stop people from posting topics or posts that are more realated to another forum.
You don't think the posters are currently doing a good job of posting in the forums best suited to the topic they wish to discuss? I'd say that they do everywhere except the "Comics General" forum, which gets a lot of threads better-suited for the other forums because people want their thread to be read and they know it's the one the largest number of people read.

Separate forums are obviously never "fool-proof" since individuals are free to do whatever they want, but most semi-intelligent individuals realize the efficency inherent in separating content. If CGC's web site isn't the best place to start a dedicated discussion on grading, I can't imagine where a better place would be.

There you go (although I am not sure if Germans actually fart)! Stop wasting our time with grading quizzes and get to the beef. I say FF and his pals take their comics related chats elsewhere.

> Here's an example of lack of cover gloss yeilding a FN. I ganerally agree, but the lack of wear resulted in my pre-grade of an 8.0.

That's actually a very interesting scan (so I'll forgive you for interrupting this time - just don't do it again mad.gif ). I recently bought a set of 1930s file copies at Sotheby's auction that were graded (not by CGC) in the VG/FN range. Technically, those books were VF/NM but AACG(?? - I forget what Sotheby's grading committee is called) were extremely strict because the books were a little faded (though no more so than any other 1930s comic). I was ecstatic - most dealers would have graded much higher. I'll see if I can post some pics... IMO, taking cover gloss into account is one of the hardest aspects of grading. I'd love to see other examples of how CGC has dealt with this.

Technically, those books were VF/NM but AACG(?? - I forget what Sotheby's grading committee is called) were extremely strict because the books were a little faded (though no more so than any other 1930s comic).... IMO, taking cover gloss into account is one of the hardest aspects of grading.

I truly hate to ask this cause it looks like I am an anal stickler - no - scratch that - too open to comment - no - scratch "too open" too - mmmmm....because it looks like I am being overly concerned with semantics ... BUT (you DID know there was a BUT, no...errr...scratch that too - no, don't scratch that - I mean ignore that...anyway)

(gosh it is hard to express yourself on the internet)

There should be a distinction between gloss and fading. They are not inclusive. You can have high gloss with certain colors (reds and those DC blues) being faded. You can conversly have a lack of gloss but still good color.

So what do you actually see as the "problem" Sotheby's has with these books? Lack of gloss or lack of color? And remember - gloss is not necessarily a part of those 30's books. Some of them simply did not HAVE hi-gloss covers. smile.gif

And PLEASE post sopme scans - to see nice 30's books is ALWAYS a treat! Congratulations on scoring what sounds like some really good values!

pov:

I'll post some scans on FF's new board to show you what I'm talking about; work is crazy right now but as soon as I get a chance...

Btw., thanks for the great tips on restoration that you posted a few months ago (which Arch moved to the new board); I missed them at the time. Read with great interest.