• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comics in the guide are undervalued?

103 posts in this topic

Underpriced in Overstreet

Seven Seas #6

I'd argue that Seven Seas 3-6 are all underpriced in Overstreet whereas #2 is overpriced. They're about as easy to find as AF 15s. No opinion on #1.

Seven Seas #6

I'd argue that Seven Seas 3-6 are all underpriced in Overstreet whereas #2 is overpriced. They're about as easy to find as AF 15s. No opinion on #1.

I would agree, but #6 seems to go for more of a premium than the other 3.

Seven Seas #6

If a very HG copy of 3-6 was offered it would be very interesting to see the hammer price. For 4 or 6 perhaps very high multiples of guide.

I've thought about bidding on #1s and #2s for the sake of completeness, but they shouldn't come close to commanding their asking prices (and rarely get it).

Fair enough. But I will buy any and all copies of More Fun 31, Tec 15 and New Adventure 26 at full Overstreet guide price if anyone would like to sell. Seriously.

Yes, I would most definitely pay a premium for a book featuring an ad for a major character before their first appearance.

Based upon my prior experience in the marketplace, most dealers and other collectors would also be willing to pay a premium for these issues relative to the surrounding issues.

The guess the real question is how much of a premium?

Regarding the original post, there's a difference between "underappreciated" and "undervalued". The Phantom probably fits in the first category more than the second.

Unfortunately, I believe you are dead-on accurate here.

Especially considering that I have the Church copy of Ace Comics #11 and there is absolutely no way that I would ever get anywhere close to $10K for this book. I would probably be lucky to get $2K for this book. doh!

The same goes for Funnies on Parade and all of the other early newsprint comics. Definitely "underappreciated", but this probably is really another term for "overvalued" in the guide. :cry:

"Is there any data that shows that any comic book with an ad for anything within enhances the value of it?

I've got the May, 1938 Detective Comics and the December, 1937 More Fun Comics (ad for DC#1). I'm just not convinced this is a reason to juice up the market value of a comic. I view it as seller hyperbole."

How can you call it hyperbole? Action 1 is the most valuable comic in the world because of the first appearance of Superman, but there he is a month earlier in an ad that pictures the iconic Action 1 cover, in a book that sells for less than a fraction of Action 1.

The ad appeared in three May 1938 comics, (More Fun 31, Detective 15 and New Adventure Comics 26). I think all three are tremendously undervalued. The only one Overstreet really calls out is New Adventure.

but it is just an advert...there were tons of action 1 adverts out there at the time (fliers to newstands, in a few other monthly comics, etc)...doesn't make them desirable or valuable... I wouldn't put any more value in mf31 than it already has ...just my 2c

I would (and have) paid extra for it. A printed ad featuring Superman that predates Action 1 is cool...and cool is worth money. I know I am not alone in this. (shrug)

Me too. It's the first printed/published/released appearance of the most important character in comics. That's the main reason I bought a Tec #15.

Why did a Gobbledygook #1 just sell for $13,500? 1st printed appearance of the Turtles.

Does this mean Human Torch #2 should be worth more? After all it has the first printed appearance of Captain America in an ad for Cap #1 a full month before its release.

I guess it all comes down to what somebody is willing to pay, right? Obviously, someone thought that Gobbledygook was worth the premium for that reason.

In my opinion, the 1st ever printed app. of Superman is slightly different than the 1st app. of Cap in that Superman defines the start of an era or an age that previously didn't exist.

Regarding the original post, there's a difference between "underappreciated" and "undervalued". The Phantom probably fits in the first category more than the second.

Unfortunately, I believe you are dead-on accurate here.

Especially considering that I have the Church copy of Ace Comics #11 and there is absolutely no way that I would ever get anywhere close to $10K for this book. I would probably be lucky to get $2K for this book. doh!

The same goes for Funnies on Parade and all of the other early newsprint comics. Definitely "underappreciated", but this probably is really another term for "overvalued" in the guide. :cry:

:o Can we see the Church Ace 11? :wishluck:

Here's my copy

AceComics11CGCVF-75.jpg

"Is there any data that shows that any comic book with an ad for anything within enhances the value of it?

I've got the May, 1938 Detective Comics and the December, 1937 More Fun Comics (ad for DC#1). I'm just not convinced this is a reason to juice up the market value of a comic. I view it as seller hyperbole."

How can you call it hyperbole? Action 1 is the most valuable comic in the world because of the first appearance of Superman, but there he is a month earlier in an ad that pictures the iconic Action 1 cover, in a book that sells for less than a fraction of Action 1.

The ad appeared in three May 1938 comics, (More Fun 31, Detective 15 and New Adventure Comics 26). I think all three are tremendously undervalued. The only one Overstreet really calls out is New Adventure.

but it is just an advert...there were tons of action 1 adverts out there at the time (fliers to newstands, in a few other monthly comics, etc)...doesn't make them desirable or valuable... I wouldn't put any more value in mf31 than it already has ...just my 2c

I would (and have) paid extra for it. A printed ad featuring Superman that predates Action 1 is cool...and cool is worth money. I know I am not alone in this. (shrug)

Me too. It's the first printed/published/released appearance of the most important character in comics. That's the main reason I bought a Tec #15.

Why did a Gobbledygook #1 just sell for $13,500? 1st printed appearance of the Turtles.

Does this mean Human Torch #2 should be worth more? After all it has the first printed appearance of Captain America in an ad for Cap #1 a full month before its release.

ht2.jpg

Yes, I sure think so. I wasn't even aware of that. (For shame, I know)

Isn't it also the first Timely cover by Schomburg? I have sold that issue twice and regretted it both times.

Isn't it also the first Timely cover by Schomburg? I have sold that issue twice and regretted it both times.

That honor would probably go to Marvel Mystery #3 (3/1940) rather than Human Torch #2 (Winter/1940).

(thumbs u

If it's in the top tier of my all-time, would-crawl-naked-through-glass wantlist, then it's overvalued in Overstreet. Totally overvalued and due for a precipitous drop in value, like, tomorrow. (Starting with that piece of #@$%^&* Seven Seas #4, a toxic asset soon to become the Enron stock of the comics world.)

If I already have a copy and am considering auctioning it at any point in the forseeable future, then it's undervalued in Overstreet -- WAY undervalued. (In fact, I consider it "The Action Comics #1 of ______." For example, "White Princess of the Jungle #1 is the Action Comics #1 of Avon jungle comics.")

Some very interesting topics. Let me start by saying that one thing I like about comic collecting is that the hobby is still evolving. There are first appearances, cameos, ad appearances, etc, etc, that even expert collectors don’t know about. So just because a comic isn’t worth a lot now doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t be more appreciated someday. Or vice-versa. A classic example is More Fun #31. It contains the first published image of Superman. That’s a fact. Argue about what it’s worth all you want. But heck yeah, I’d say it’s currently undervalued. You might say “well it’s a technicality, it’s an ad, you’re nitpicking”….but I might say that’s exactly what serious collectors do. They nitpick!!! 9.0, 9.2, 9.4, 9.6. 9.8 – that’s nitpicking. I will nitpick even further, and say if you check the original copyright records, More Fun #31 came out a few weeks before the other 3 Action #1 ads. I actually have the info somewhere, I could dig it up if you want me to.

As for the Ace #11, it would be extremely undervalued if not for the fact that The Phantom did not first appear in comics. He was on the radio, and also in comic strips I believe. Same for a comic like King Comics #1 – first comic appearances of great characters, but they had appeared in other media before. You can’t always get this info easily – not even the Overstreet Guide is clear on many, many things. But that’s what I like – finding out new things. And maybe acquiring some undervalued comics in the process.

Seven Seas #6

I would put #1 in the same category as #2. :foryou:

Seven Seas #6

I think #4 is the issue that is under-valued the most of this run, with #6 a close second. (thumbs u

Seven Seas #6

Speaking of Seven Seas #6...there is currently a copy available online...CGC 5.0 with an asking price of around $1150.00 (Just remembering this from the top of my head). So that would be an asking price that is about 6.5 X Guide. Of course it hasn't sold yet....but I think it's close to what this book has been going for. Impossible to find in high grade...I shudder to think what a 9.0 copy would go for if one ever became available??? hm

That honor would probably go to Marvel Mystery #3 (3/1940) rather than Human Torch #2 (Winter/1940).

(thumbs u

Daring Mystery #1 has a Schomburg cover and is dated Jan. 1940 (of course MMC #3 is also dated Jan 1940 :baiting: )

Seven Seas #6

Speaking of Seven Seas #6...there is currently a copy available online...CGC 5.0 with an asking price of around $1150.00 (Just remembering this from the top of my head). So that would be an asking price that is about 6.5 X Guide. Of course it hasn't sold yet....but I think it's close to what this book has been going for. Impossible to find in high grade...I shudder to think what a 9.0 copy would go for if one ever became available??? hm

Yeah,

I remember winning an Ebay auction and paying around $650 for my 6.0 copy about 7 years ago. At the time I thought it was crazy money for that book, but it does seem to be fairly scarce.

Seven Seas #6

I always felt that 4 was the most desirable, but hard to say given how rarely they show up.