• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting newer OA - Pencils, Inks, or Both?

27 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Was noting how more and more original art is being produced by artists who are so far-flung that it's obviously simpler and cheaper to send around high-rez scans of the art in its various stages.

While I'm pleased that some Comic Companies are maintaining the inking role, more and more often this is resulting in dual sets of original art, the pencils held by the penciller and the inked pages (hopefully printed on comic stock before physical inks) held by the inker.

I know it's almost meaningless to toss out the word 'value' when one is referring to collectibles, but still. Which is better to collect, the pencils, or the inks, or is it best to [font:Impact]#shudder#[/font] attempt to assemble both when possible? :pullhair:

(Or maybe it's best to try to avoid collecting newer art) :sorry:

Discuss?

Andrew

I had the same thought when I was looking at a cover a few months back. I thought it was a great deal for a great pencilled cover but, I was SO glad I didn't pull the trigger when the inked version popped up on Ebay a few days later. Both the penciller and inker seem to have priced the piece more reasonably (it was a Superman cover featuring big blue in full flight) than I would've otherwise expected. Which I guess means that they recognize that there is an inherent decrease in value to a page that is inked over blue lines, or the pencillers case, not the final published piece.

I think if I had the choice, I'd go for the pencils.

If its a matter between buying the pencils of the original artist, or buying the inks over blue line of the original pencils, then its pencils hands down. I haven't run into this problem very often though, most of the art I buy or have bought were always penciled and inked, and if not by the same artist, then the inks were done straight over the original pencils.

I have pieces where I have the pencils on one board and the inks over blue line on another. I'm glad I have both, but for me, I'm a traditionalist. I would much rather have original inks on original pencils. I've been offered pencils only, and it's not as attractive to me.

I am afraid that seeing pencils and inks on the same board is heading to the same place where pages with words went - and that's sad.

Ron

I am afraid that seeing pencils and inks on the same board is heading to the same place where pages with words went - and that's sad.

Ron

I agree, but I don't think it's all bad. Imagine if it was always done that way and to be able to see original Kirby, Ditko, or Adams pencils.

Darren

I don't buy much new OA as most of it has multiple pieces for each page. I prefer ink over original pencils. Main reason I have moved almost exclusively to covers and commissions.

Given the choice, I will always lean towards pages that have been inked over original pencils. While I have seen some great work done in only pencils, and I have a few pages of pencil art in my collection, I feel the inked pages just have a little nicer "finished" feel to them. That's why I'm finding myself moving towards picking up older art pages, despite there being some really good artists currently producing great art.

I prefer inked pages but when i know that most new stuff is inked on a copy, it makes me a little queasy about owning it. I dunno, it just feels cheap and dirty.

It's funny, I know how you feel. But for me, it's not cheap & dirty, it's a nagging incomplete feeling, like someone's 'pulled one over' on me. Plus maybe a traditionalist objection to now have to consider purchasing two pieces rather than one. I like supporting inkers as much as the next guy, but...

I think it feels to me like my policy on Original Color Guides: I'd consider picking up Color Guides pretty much only if I already owned the original art, too. Fun to make the set when you can:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=727909&GSub=51060

But otherwise I'd pass.

I have pieces where I have the pencils on one board and the inks over blue line on another. I'm glad I have both, but for me, I'm a traditionalist.

For me, I suppose the priority has to be the penciled pages, but a real consideration is whether or not the inker can be quickly contacted to put the set together. Depending on the page, not having the inks wrapped up might sour my feelings on the pencils.

Can't agree more. :sorry:

Andrew

In terms of investment, it is always better to go with pencils. The penciler sells the book. Rarely does an inker gain much notoriety.

I have to agree with claudio. I don't buy so much for investment but more for the creative angle. I love owning the idea that the penciler sat in his studio and put down on the board. I think inks present themselves better for show but I prefer to buy them if they are over the original pencils. More than half my collection is pencils and thought i love ink my heart just warms everytime I look at the true originals :cloud9:

A similar debate/discussion took place at Comicart-L a little while back with what appeared to be a majority of collectors preferring to purchase the original pencilled page rather than the original inks over a blue-line copy.

There was a vocal minority speaking out for the "published page" but my argument was that the penciller hasn't physically touched the inked page. No disrespect to the inker but my focus is (usually) the penciller and my desire is to acquire his/her original work - ergo the original pencils. There are inker exceptions such as Kevin Nowlan :)

Naturally, I would prefer to have pencils & inks on the same page but this method (of pencils and inks on separate pages) is becoming more commonplace as it (the e-mailing of high resolution scans between penciller, inker and company) speeds up the process and lessens the cost to the company - ie avoiding the cost and physical delivery times of FedEx.

Two artists whose original work I handle, Nicola Scott and Ardian Syaf both utilise this method because one lives in Australia and the other Indonesia while the inkers live in the USA and Spain. Both Nicola and Ardian's pencils are very tight and I really enjoy seeing the original pencils. Nicola employs delicate and detailed shading in her work which really shows through in her pencilled pages.

If interested in viewing their pencil pages (no, this isn't a plug but relevant to the discussion), feel free to check out their galleries at my CAF gallery -

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=111

Here are a couple of recent examples of pencil work by Nicola and Ardian:

Ardian -

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=639674&GSub=97500

Nicola -

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=713104&GSub=108331

As regards pricing of the pencilled pages, I recognise that these pages are not inked so I have made a conscious effort to price them appropriately. Interesting topic :) Best,

Royd

Well, okay.

I dipped a toe into 'Modern OA' a bit the past few months. Marvel had brought back the Micronauts again for two miniseries, this time as 'The Enigma Force.'

Only Marvel characters could be used or even mentioned, so no 'Baron Karza' 'Space Glider' 'Acroyear' or 'Time Traveller' etc. :tonofbricks:

Bug, Marionette, and Commander Rann are OK, though.

Shrug-worthy in my opinion. I don't think it was any coincidence that these minis appeared shortly after JJ Abrams announcement of his interest in a MICRONAUTS motion picture - Marvel's protecting its characters, even minor ones.

But, given the opportunity, I cherry-picked my favorite penciled pages, and was further able to directly contact both inkers, and wrap up the inks for the same pages.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=96943

I must concede a certain satisfaction of having these sets complete, :insane:

but it was certainly exhausting coordinating three artists. And expensive.

I think this will be my last dip in the 'Modern' OA pool. :kidaround:

Andrew