• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Spiderman as iconic as Superman?

194 posts in this topic

This is ALSO demonstrated, folks, by the far more rare GA books that are NOT Action #1, but which sell for tiny fractions of what Action #1 does. They become essentially uncollectable, so people give up on ever owning one.

That's true. It's also true that none of the GA comics you refer to contain the first printed appearance of a character anywhere the near the same level as Spider-Man. The only character that is on the same level, that has a first appearance scarcity on par with Superman's, is Batman. That book has managed to maintain its value relatively well I would say.

And no, I wasn't drunk when I wrote it, and if this is the most not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy sentences you've ever read on these boards..have you ever read them?

lol

Hyperbole. You have used it yourself from time to time. :cloud9:

Hyperbole.

:cloud9:

When you can't win on merit, dazzle 'em with hyperbole...

:insane:

I think people can relate to Spidey a lot more. Too be honest I am 38 years old and I have seen a lot more of Spiderman in my lifetime then Superman. Superman is my dads character, spidey is more popular with my generation. Spiderman also has a kick butt rogues gallery.

Kinda like how my son says Ben-10 is his character while Spider-man is mine !

;)

ben10.jpg

I believe it is. If Action 1 and AF15 were the same era book and had the same supply across all grades - AF15 would be worth more, IMO, at each grade.

Ergo, it has greater demand

Oh come ON.

Not you too, Bronty!

This is utter lunacy!

The very fact that they are NOT the same era is why Action #1 trumps AF #15 all day long. If there were the same number of copies, in the same grades, Action #1 would still beat AF #15.

Action #1 is, and has been for 50+ years, THE comic to own, the one that sets apart great collections from every other collection.

I like Spider-Man better. If I had 100K burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy the best AF 15 I could before I'd buy an Action 1.

Superman is Elvis walking into Sun Studios in 1954; Spider-Man is the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show ten years later.

Mikey, you soooo pegged it with this analogy! Didn't want it going unnoticed so bump it!

(worship)

Superman is Elvis walking into Sun Studios in 1954; Spider-Man is the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show ten years later.

Then Wolverine is Metallica the day they released "Master of Puppets"? :headbang:

X-23 is the free concert by Rage Against the Machine outside the 2000 Democratic National Convention...it was raw mayhem...LAPD was afraid...

If I had 100K burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy the best AF 15 I could before I'd buy an Action 1.

I'd buy gem encrusted toilet seats, and have the best hookers on the planet set lines up for me with 24k gold razors and with platinum straws....

Nail on head, folks.

(thumbs u

I've been thinking about this all week. It's a really great analogy. (thumbs u