• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If YOU were single and met a beautiful woman.....

77 posts in this topic

Dude,

I think you should have tried to drop the hammer on the mom also.

27_laughing.gif I would have if she looked more like the daughter. The mom was fugly, so I figured that I better knock up the daughter before she looked like her mom devil.gif

Is he the sterotypical geek guy (i.e. comic shop guy on the Simpsons)

insane.gif

Or is he dashingly handsome, with rapier wit, and hung like a horsey? thumbsup2.gif

I think you hit the nail on the head, and that's probably a big reason why I've never been one to display my comic collecting on my chest. It just doesn't fit what I project, and this incongruity brings up looks that "something is not right", similar to those serial killer quotes:

"Yes, he's a good looking guy, tall, smart, fit, and plays sports ... but we never suspected he was a serial comic book collector."

One of my friends got a similar treatment when people saw him smoking. He looks like the All-American guy, lives clean otherwise, and people (even smokers) would literally gasp when he lit up a butt.

"You certainly don't look like a smoker"

I don't know exactly what that means... looks like a comic book collector?

believe me, I'm no adonis. But -- I wear a suit every day (cause I have to), dress reasonably well and don't wear tons of comic book apparel on a daily basis.

What does a comic book fan look like? They're not all like the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

When I meet DAM60 and delekkersette... I don't think, hey we get to all geek out and start wearing our Thor helmets and costumes... so... if I'm tall, fit and play sports and then reveal I collect comics, people will think something's horribly wrong? I haven't had it happen to me (and again, I'm no model) and most women I've met... even ones I haven't dated, just casual conversation, have always found it a little cool. Unless you go on and on like you're obsessed with it, it's rarely a problem.

When I met my girlfriend, I told her pretty early on that I collected comics. She'd never read one before. Because she is an aspiring writer in her spare time, I figured that she'd be interested in hearing about how challenging it is to write a good comic book story with tight pacing and character development, along with a beginning, middle, and end, all within 22 pages. I was right. She now likes to read comics with me, has written a basic plot for an Elektra story, and gets as excited about putting original comic art up on the walls as I am. She has never once said anything about it being dorky. It's all in how you present it to her.

As for your question about whether you'd tell the hot chick at the party that you are a comic dealer, I'd go the same route with honesty. If you love comics and can explain what you like about them to someone who knows nothing about them, the person will usually find it pretty interesting. If you are insecure about simply saying that you are a "comic dealer," you could say that you are a "rare comic dealer" or "rare collectibles dealer." Personally, I think this would sound a little lame (like you were making it sound cooler than it is -- kind of like someone who says "I am an administrative executive assistant, not a secretary!"), and would downplay the title and play up the specifics, which she's more likely to find interesting anyway.

For a final parting thought, women can smell insecurity and they do not like the odor. If you're a comic dealer, make no apologies, be proud of what you do, and explain why it's the coolest job in the world (which it is, aside from being a comics creator). If she has half a brain inside that pretty head, it should work out well for you. thumbsup2.gif

What does a comic book fan look like? They're not all like the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

It's all about perceptions, not reality.

We've been through this same song-and-dance a few times. I've dated tons of gals, but only met one or two that even read comics. Most allowed a grudging respect for my hobby, but I have never heard "Oh wow! You collect comics, that is soooo cool!".

I assume women like this exist, but I also assume I wasn't attracted to them.

I did meet a beautiful woman and she already thought that i was a boy masquerading in a man's suit. Finding out that I loved Batman and comics just confirmed it for. Now we have two boys she thanks her lucky stars that at 40 I am still just a boy.

(like you were making it sound cooler than it is -- kind of like someone who says "I am an administrative executive assistant, not a secretary!")

I think this is law here in D.C. Calling someone your secretary nowadays is a big 893naughty-thumb.gif Buncha uppity darn secretaries! tongue.gif

On a related note, how many of us on here are full time comic dealers AND single? Does eBay count you in or do you have to own a brick and mortar establishment (Gentlemen's in the case of our own LightHouse tongue.gif )?

One thing I've gotta keep in mind is that we're talking about 2004, not when I was out-and-about. With comic book movies, EBay, CGC comics selling for hundreds of thousands, it does not have the stigma it did in the mid to late-80's.

Different time, different generation, and who knows, you tell a gal you're a comic book dealer/collector today and she might start seeing dollar signs. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now that I think about it, it would be easy to score with a "I scammed a fanboy out of $2K for a copy of Amazing Spider-man 121!" comment.

Cue laughter.

While I derive only a small part of my income from comics,it is something I often bring up fairly early in conversation with new people,even the few really beautiful women I meet.Most people seem to be interested as long as you don't go super-fanboy.

I fly a couple of dozen times a year(much more than I attend parties) and most times this comes up.

Well, to start, their clothes are rarely cleaned and pressed. wink.gifgrin.gif

I would have loved to see just clean.... blush.gif

believe me, I'm no adonis. But -- I wear a suit every day (cause I have to), dress reasonably well and don't wear tons of comic book apparel on a daily basis.

Have you been to a comic con?

I think it is safe to say from my limited experience with Conventions, and comic shops.

A Fanboy has a distinctive look about him, and most of the time it is not flattering.

Greasy hair, bad skin, clothes to short, or outa style , whatever...( now mind you, not all of them are like this, Im just trying to conjour a typical geek image we all imagine when that word comes up)

But also on the flipside, I would think it safe to say a majority of the forumites here dont fit your average fanboy collector profile

.We could blend in with normal people quite easily if we need to , without anyone ever knowing that we could recite verbatim Captain America telling his Avengers to Assemble!

We are succesful, homeowners, married, and might actually go outside and see the sun once a month or two. 27_laughing.gif

So perhaps Redhook can help us out?, and conjour up a Typical Comic collector photo composite that might fit this thread?

flowerred.gif

But I digress, this is off topic.

Zeman

JC:

yeah, to be fair... I've never had one say... "you collect comics... that's sooo cool". But, I do think you've gotta keep in mind the era. With Spider Man, X-Men etc., it's not seen as quite as dorky as it once was.

Most of the girls who hear it for the first time are always curious as to why I stuck with it and then usually state how it's not any different from any of the other hobbies that other people have.

Have you been to a comic con?

I think it is safe to say from my limited experience with Conventions, and comic shops.

A Fanboy has a distinctive look about him, and most of the time it is not flattering.

yeah, yeah. but even at a comic con, I think the normal people generally still outweigh (slightly) the bizarre weirdos. I'll never forget at the first Wizard World East seeing the "thor" family... everyone from grandma (or was it pa) to the youngest kid all dressed in Thor outfits. One for the f----n ages.

Another thing to keep in mind is how you tell someone you collect comic books. If you ramble on about how cool characters are and how they became a super-hero, you might just alienate that person. However if you talk about without appearing to be the uber-geek then you just might interest that person into talking about it.

Setup: Let's say you make your living (maybe you really do) selling comic books. Either through Ebay, at conventions, as a private dealer or comic store owner.

So... you are at a party and meet a very beautiful, classy and sophisticated woman, she is single and being very flirtatious with you. You sit down and have a drink with her.

Question: Do you tell her how you make a living by selling comic books knowing that there is a very good possibility that she may instantly see "geek-boy" etched on your forehead?

Do you embellish it by telling her that you are a dealer of rare and antique books? Hey, THAT almost sounds dignified.

Or what do you say when telling her how you make a living?

Just curious.

-----Sid

Is this woman a lesbian? And why does she think I'm a boy? This woman sounds very confused. I think comics are the least of her problems.

-- Joanna