• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If it looks to good to be true...

33 posts in this topic

A lot of opinions do lean toward the idea that it may have been trimmed, but I am not experienced enough to detect such a restoration. Based off what I can see in the images, assuming that it has not been trimmed I would say it would not do better than an 8.5. The cover is obviously dirty/stained in several areas front and back. The corners appear rounded and it looks like the cover is miswrapped on the bottom by about 1/8 of an inch (could that be what you are interpreting as the effect of trimming?) There also appears to be a thumbing fold or even worse, a small tear on the bottom margin of the front cover where GLs leg is. If it's a fold, it might grade as well as an 8.5, but if it's a small tear, maybe no better than a 7.0 or 7.5.

after reading a few more posts I see what you are talking about now. The outside margin does look very unusual.

IMO looks like its a slight miswrap, trimming, thats pretty hard to detect from a scan. Got some problems on the top right side - the corners are sharp, but then again, there could be reasons for that. I would seriously talk to Kev - and ask for a Higher res scan possibly a blow up of the right top corner.

As it stands the book looks in the VF/NM range and I wouldnt go over $350 with the info you have now.

There are alot of familiar Trolls in that bidding list lol10_5_133.gif

it probably is.

Two automatic strikes against this person -- i) because of the use of "CGC" in their listing; ii) no specific reference made about whether the book is UNRESTORED.

AND YET, I'm seriously considering bidding on this book. Aside from what I've already said, the other unnerving thing about it is that it just looks TOO perfect.

I've asked the seller about whether the book is restored, and if a full refund will be offered in the event that I find out it is (planning on sending this in to get graded). I guess I'll base my final decision on their response.

What do you guys think?

BTW: I just noticed comicmankev and budplant both had a run-in with this seller. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

we'll all be interested in hearing about the seller's refund policy and seeing a different scan if you get one. if it's not trimmed, it may be structurally sound based on what's visible on the smallish scan. but, it's pretty dirty all around and 9.4 seems like major wishful thinking.

now that comment left for comicmankev (after he left neg feedback) is hugely interesting. perhaps he will enlighten us. devil.gif

I'm not sure these images are going to be of any more help than the ones under the auction description, but I thought I'd post them anway as these are the ones the seller sent me. According to the seller, the book is not restored, but my question regarding refund if restoration is found at the point of grading was neither addressed or answered, despite the fact that I asked twice 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

442695-GL76_9.4_Sm.JPG

442698-GL76_9.4_Sm_back.jpg

442695-GL76_9.4_Sm.JPG.cc99c86ffeeae26fa23f60844d1e694f.JPG

Hiya CW, hope the weather in Toronto is good for you today. I copied the images you posted into photoshop to take a closer look at them and did my best of course to discount the compression artifacts that would appear from enlarging. I haven't really come up with anything new although I was curious about the mark halfway down the back cover near the left margin. Is it an ink or pencil mark and how does compare to the unusual cut on the front cover? Also, it doesn't appear that the back cover has the same angled edge as the front cover does.

Invalid item.

893whatthe.gif what happened??

Please be aware that auction:

2235187172 - Green Lantern # 76 NM 9.4 CGC Neal Adams High Grade!

in which you were a bidding participant, has been ended early by eBay for violating one or

more of our listing guidelines.

Because the auction was ended early, you as a bidder are not required to complete the

transaction. Since this is a listing violation, the seller is free to relist the item in the

proper format. Should you wish to do so, you are free to bid on the item again if it is

relisted.

If you care to review our listing guidelines for a better understanding of our auction

policies, they can be found at:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-ov.html

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have on our existing

policies.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)

eBay Inc