• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If it looks to good to be true...

33 posts in this topic

it probably is.

Two automatic strikes against this person -- i) because of the use of "CGC" in their listing; ii) no specific reference made about whether the book is UNRESTORED.

AND YET, I'm seriously considering bidding on this book. Aside from what I've already said, the other unnerving thing about it is that it just looks TOO perfect.

I've asked the seller about whether the book is restored, and if a full refund will be offered in the event that I find out it is (planning on sending this in to get graded). I guess I'll base my final decision on their response.

What do you guys think?

BTW: I just noticed comicmankev and budplant both had a run-in with this seller. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The book does not look like a 9.4. Is that soiling in the white area in the upper right quadrant? Plus, the scan is too small to see fine detail.

it probably is.

Two automatic strikes against this person -- i) because of the use of "CGC" in their listing; ii) no specific reference made about whether the book is UNRESTORED.

AND YET, I'm seriously considering bidding on this book. Aside from what I've already said, the other unnerving thing about it is that it just looks TOO perfect.

I've asked the seller about whether the book is restored, and if a full refund will be offered in the event that I find out it is (planning on sending this in to get graded). I guess I'll base my final decision on their response.

What do you guys think?

BTW: I just noticed comicmankev and budplant both had a run-in with this seller. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why does the right side of the book looked curved?

Timely

Yeah, there's something freaky about that book.

I agree. The right side bows in directly across from the 15cent price. Can't tell if that's scanned or a camera picture. If its a picture, I know from experience that the book would bow OUT rather than in at the middle. It looks like you can see more of the pages where it bows in on the right. Also, is that a tear or just a significant color-breaking crease at the bottom on right leg?

it probably is.

What do you guys think?

In cases such as this where the scan looks decidedly dodgy (I'm leaning towards the Hammer special), yet you're still compelled to bid, it's always best to remember your initial instinctive reaction. Also you chose to seek input from your fellow Forumites which should tell you that it's a gamble.

On the other hand, he who dares wins - if the seller has a no quibble return policy, you have nothing to lose, except the return postage fee.

Geez, you guys are sharp. When I first looked at this book, I had no idea what you guys were talking about where the book was "bowed" or caved in on the center of the right edge. But now that I take a really good look, yeah, I can see it. Is it possible that there was a very slightly rounded trim job shaving out what may have been a problem somewhere on the center of the right edge? Geez, now I'm talking like the other conspiracy guys on these boards. ------Sid

Is that a crease or something on the left side near the middle on the back? The book definitely needs a cleaning on the back. Looks like an APPARENT 7.5 to me...with trimming. It just has that look, and I was thinking that before I read the post.

Actually what you are seeing looks more like an optical illusion.

Caused by 3 factors:

1. The comic is slightly angled towards the top right. Probably less than 1 degree.

2. The comic has a slight miswrap. Noticeable in the bottom left corner.

3. The cover of the comic overhangs the inner pages slightly and from the looks of the scan, the comic has been stored in a tight bag, with possibly an undersized backing board. Thus causing the overhang to slightly fold over.

If you examine the cover all along the right side, you'll notice that most of the edge has a slight fold over, with the area in question having folded over slightly more than the rest.

I think the combination of all 3 factors makes that area look much worse than it really is.

But, that's only my own theory. confused-smiley-013.gif

Even if it's not trimmed, I still don't think it's a 9.4.

Blunted corners. The whole right edge of the cover with that slight foldover. The left corner looking more and more like a slight spine roll,everytime I look at it.

8.5 max ... and that's asking for a miracle ... IMO. grin.gif

Even if it's not trimmed, I still don't think it's a 9.4.

Blunted corners. The whole right edge of the cover with that slight foldover. The left corner looking more and more like a slight spine roll,everytime I look at it.

8.5 max ... and that's asking for a miracle ... IMO. grin.gif

I concur. Miracles can happen...flowerred.gif

Well Kev did you resell it as a 9.6.......I just gots to know.

Yep looks like Comicmankev left him a negative because he disputed the grade, wonder what he has to say on the seller and his transaction 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Guaranteed Grade? 27_laughing.gif but he doesnt exactly go into how he guarantees it. This guys got some live ones - he's got em up to 250 for a raw DD 168, that he says is a 9.8. foreheadslap.gif I mean the the GL could come back PLOD 9.4 and he would still be in the clear as he never said anything about resto.

CW - tread lighty bro confused-smiley-013.gif

CW - tread lighty bro confused-smiley-013.gif

Will do jbud thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm still waiting on a larger view scan, and a response from the seller on my initial inquiry regarding restoration.

Optical illusion or not, that top right edge seems to REALLY be bending it like Beckham 893whatthe.gif

Hopefully the larger view images are of a higher-res quality. There are a few things I'm catching from the image that I'd like to confirm as being either defects, or scanner artifacts.

BTW: I could be wrong, but I think those images are scans. I'm not sure photos can be taken without producing either reflective overflash on the cover, or images far too dark to be of any use. There is also NO angular perspective -- the cover lays flat and square in the image.

All I did with the scan was crop in a little tighter in a rectangle. I leave you to draw your own conclusions. It's not an optical illusion, but as you know, books can come from the printer with strange cuts..........confused-smiley-013.gif

lantern.jpg