• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Men Yesterday

150 posts in this topic

I was wondering that myself. Might be the focus of the collector?

Not really! My favourites are actually underwater adventure covers -there just arent that many of them! There were many genres and sub-genres. I'll try to give a bit more breadth when I've scanned the next bunch. Having said which, WWII did seem to be the overwhelmingly favourite theme of a number of companies, though some attempted a slightly greater degree of realism than others! Once they hit on a winning formula they seem to have been loathe to change it. It didnt take them long to descend into self-parody.

Although the war was long over, there were still many man and women in ther late thirties, early forties for whom it had been the key experience of their lives - my father for instance. Somehow the creators of these mags managed to combine the most extreme imagery of the pre-war pulps with a cartoonish depiction of nazi atrocities. (Anyone who has seen Mad Men will understand the unselfconscious mysogyny of the sixties!)

Here are a few underwater covers by way of a change of pace. I especially like the Action for Men cover.

ActionforMenV126January1969.jpg

formenonly.jpg

boldmen.jpg

Love this one! Frank Capra made a film of this in 1933 starring Barbara Stanwyck and Nils Aster. It is an astonishing film and I highly recommend it. Sensual rather than sentimental, it is full of sublimated sexuality - a world away from It's a Wonderful Life!

bitterteaofgeneralyen.jpg