• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Men Yesterday

150 posts in this topic

Why do so many of these have a Nazi villain theme? WWII had been over for decades when these were published.

I never could grasp how the Nazi schwastika became so fetishised on these covers, but they definitely used it alot.

couple pages back Alanna posted 'falling figure' covs and asked for more- here's a classic on a classic book: 1954 Graphic #81 Cornell Woolrich anthology that features (among others) his first suspense yarn, from 1934, 'Death Sits in the Dentist's Chair'.

img475.jpg

couple pages back Alanna posted 'falling figure' covs and asked for more- here's a classic on a classic book: 1954 Graphic #81 Cornell Woolrich anthology that features (among others) his first suspense yarn, from 1934, 'Death Sits in the Dentist's Chair'.

img475.jpg

Looks like they should have named this book "DEADLY NIGHT FALL" hm

Why do so many of these have a Nazi villain theme? WWII had been over for decades when these were published.

I never could grasp how the Nazi schwastika became so fetishised on these covers, but they definitely used it alot.

Using the Nazis gave the publishers license to print whatever their fertile imaginations could invent. When Wertham shutdown Weird Mysteries and all the rest, the publisher Stanley P. Morse morphed into Stanley publications and took to publishing - an adult magazine Wertham couldnt effectively attack. Battle Cry. Standard war covers reigned for a time. Then other themes intruded - high adventure covers typified by blonde damsels in distress. At some point these themes merged. For a time, it was the men being tied up by nazi femmes fatales.

I'll post a sequence of Stanley pubs covers without further commentary to show the evolution over a period of about 10 years.