• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do you think all the OA is tucked away?

9 posts in this topic

Looking through CAF and marvelling at all the amazing pieces folks have posted, I have often wondered, where is all the great gold, silver, bronze, and copper stuff at. Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of stuff posted, but it still represents a small fraction of the total material that is available. Do you think there are a lot of old time collectors that are no longer active in the hobby that have some gems tucked away or are a lot of folks that are active only posting a small percent of what they have?

Looking through CAF and marvelling at all the amazing pieces folks have posted, I have often wondered, where is all the great gold, silver, bronze, and copper stuff at. Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of stuff posted, but it still represents a small fraction of the total material that is available. Do you think there are a lot of old time collectors that are no longer active in the hobby that have some gems tucked away or are a lot of folks that are active only posting a small percent of what they have?

Well, seeing as your CAF gallery has a mere two pieces, I'm guessing you've answered your question yourself in part, as clearly you have stuff you're not posting :baiting:

Well, seeing as your CAF gallery has a mere two pieces, I'm guessing you've answered your question yourself in part, as clearly you have stuff you're not posting :baiting:

Ouch, the truth does hurt!

True, I turned off most of my stuff for the time being...

"The Game is to be SOLD... not TOLD" - - most collectors I know are satisfied simply owning the pieces they have and don't really brag or display their possessions and share with the world what they hold. They figure "what do they have to gain and what to they have to lose" - with most, who have collections of high value not wanting unwanted attention in fear of theft/crime, I speculate.

This always makes me wonder, has anyone EVER been robbed of their original comic art?

Not talking about having a portfolio swiped at a con or had a random piece taken off the wall at home at the same time as losing their flatscreen, jewelry, silverware and dog.

I mean anyone know of an obvious break-in and mostly/only comic art taken? The kind of focused robbery that always gets suggested, but I've never heard about in 2 decades of being in the world of comic art collectors.

I've been told by people that should know, that MOST clever professional thieves steer clear of art (talking "fine" art here) as it's too hard to sell, being one of a kind and all. Those that do it anyway have to use a fence of some kind to sell the pieces or be inclined to own them indefinitely. Very rarely happens. But I've not heard a single instance of it happening with comic art. Hoping someone can enlighten me as to whether it's genuinely happened before with comic art pieces, or if it's one of those paranoid comic nerd fears that someone really wants to steal our comics. :)

-e.

As you've surmised, a percentage of the older work will be in collections but not displayed or widely discussed while other work may have been lost or destroyed over the years by people who didn't know the value of the original work.

I've been collecting for around 24 years and I've always enjoyed displaying my collection. It's fun to show off one's acquisitions and it generates discussion with other collectors/fans who share the hobby and taste in work by fave artists.

I certainly don't subscribe to the theory that the act of displaying one's collection results in some sort of devaluation of the artwork! A flawed or specious argument at best :) Best,

Royd

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=111

But I've not heard a single instance of it happening with comic art. Hoping someone can enlighten me as to whether it's genuinely happened before with comic art pieces, or if it's one of those paranoid comic nerd fears that someone really wants to steal our comics. :)

-e.

Excellent question, I feel far more concerned about loosing art due to disaster (fire, flood, etc.) than robbery. Like Royd, I don't believe that displaying art devalues it. Besides, having a gallery has done wonders for finding people with similar interests. Plus I use my CAF gallery to record art that I current have or used to own.

To address the original question, I'm leaning towards the second option, that a lot of folks are not posting their collections.

Unlike high grade comic collections, I am doubtful that magnificent art collections will suddenly surface after an older generation passes away. Pedigree comic book collections were completed by going to the news stand and picking out the best available copies. Because of the uniqueness of comic art, collecting requires that the person attended shows in New York, or purchased art from dealers/Artists though mail order. It would have been harder to obtain a premium collection without building some relationships with dealers and other collectors.

I think a lot of active folks are holding back.

2c

-Anthony

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=2209