• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cockrum X-Men - Phoenix!

23 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

Just posted another great cover I recently picked up. This is one of my favorites from that first run, and the only to feature his 4 most famous creations: Nightcrawler, Storm, Colossus and Phoenix! I particuarly like Phoenix's pose on this better than the 101 cover, although of course that cover is historic and beyond memorable! Cockrum only did 10 issues before he started sharing the art chores with Byrne with issue 108. In my opinion, this is one of his top covers from that early run, and I'm quite glad to have it!

So, for your viewing pleasure... X-Men 105.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=738474&GSub=110759

Hari

Stunning piece Hari!!

Congrats

I agree with Stephen. Great cover, and you'll forgive me, but I've just got to say Cockrums inks are just silky smooth. That guy could ink (and draw pretty well too).

Scott

Agreed, Scott! Cockrum was best when he inked himself, which is why those first-run covers are so nice. He was so underappreciated.

A fantastic cover from a supremely memorable run of covers...100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, they're all great! The inking on this one is especially nice.

Congrats, Hari!

Dan

It's amazing where these pieces pop up and how they trade hands... I never see anything of this quality outside of H-Auctions on any of the typical websites that sell art, conventions, eBay... or maybe I'm not looking in the right areas...

I confess I hadn't seen this particular cover before, despite having a pretty good run of X-Men issues. I love Dave Cockrum's art on the series, and this is a stellar example of why. Perfect in every aspect from the character poses and the layout, down to the inking. This makes me want to go back and read that issue.

:o That is ridiculously impressive! And here I was thinking perhaps this post would have a commission / pinup piece! Congrats!

Interestingly, the first pin-up piece I got from Dave was back in 1983 when I was 12 years old and met him at a comic book store. There were no commissions at that time, just free sketches :) Unfortunately I don't know what happened to that piece, but it indeed was of the Phoenix.

Hari

A fantastic cover from a supremely memorable run of covers...100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, they're all great! The inking on this one is especially nice.

Congrats, Hari!

Dan

Agreed! My faves from the run are 98, 100, 101, and 105. Would also love to know where the 95 is, but of course that's Kane/Cockrum.