• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Silver Age Annuals Overlooked in OSPG?

92 posts in this topic

Particularly Annual #1's. I mean look at Superman,Flash, ASM or Batman Annual#1's they guide for so low relative to the regular number 1s. The average collector can't afford to get the regular number 1 issues and must settle for the 1st annual.

Aren't they too cheap in OSPG especially being squarebounds? Demand is lacking too despite the already low prices!

Thoughts?

Annuals are in low demand, even for popular titles. I've owned Spidey Annual 1 and FF Annual 1 both in 9.0 and average prices haven't gone up much at all the last decade.

Particularly Annual #1's. I mean look at Superman,Flash, ASM or Batman Annual#1's they guide for so low relative to the regular number 1s. The average collector can't afford to get the regular number 1 issues and must settle for the 1st annual.

Aren't they too cheap in OSPG especially being squarebounds? Demand is lacking too despite the already low prices!

Thoughts?

You've asked and answered.

Annuals are in low demand, even for popular titles. I've owned Spidey Annual 1 and FF Annual 1 both in 9.0 and average prices haven't gone up much at all the last decade.

....but what COOL comics. GOD BLESS...

-jimba friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thoughts?

It`s the SAGAT school of economics--lower demand somehow causes prices to rise!

Thoughts?

Damn right they are too cheap. But aren't we glad some comics are? SM Ann 1 is one of the prettiest annuals out there. Has all the bad ones on the cover (except the GG) and it has TONS of room for dollar growth. Hard to find with a nice white, square, tight, and ripple-spine free cover.

Yes, I have one. :banana:

Thoughts?

My point is that prices are so low already coupled with low demand equals aren't they overlooked by collectors? Supply flooded in the 60's-overprinted?

I thought this thread was going to go in the other direction. Annuals seem to be overpriced if you ask me. Specifically mid and low grade.

Sure an FF Annual 1 or ASM Annual 1 will sell for $80 as a VG all day but later annuals are just persona non grotta. Add in that quite a few of the late 60s are simply rewrapped Marvel Tales and you're lucky to get $10 for a VG.

So demand is off the cliff non existant so prices are low.

I thought this thread was going to go in the other direction. Annuals seem to be overpriced if you ask me. Specifically mid and low grade.

Sure an FF Annual 1 or ASM Annual 1 will sell for $80 as a VG all day but later annuals are just persona non grotta. Add in that quite a few of the late 60s are simply rewrapped Marvel Tales and you're lucky to get $10 for a VG.

So demand is off the cliff non existant so prices are low.

So its all about the number 1 and if its an annual then number 1 it has to be but at drastically reduced prices. Good point I'm with you as I am a fan of numero uno only. But I think in general there is room for growth on these.

persona non grotta.

Is that when someone isn't cool enough to be invited into the grotto....?

;)

And no, SA Annuals are NOT overlooked, they are overPRICED.

The vast majority of them are stuffed with reprints. That makes them about as desired as Collector's Item Classics.

Annual reprint mania didn’t really start in earnest until 1969. Up through 1968, the annuals for the big guns (ASM, FF, Hulk and Thor at least) featured all new material or extensive new material with a reprint or two.

Annual reprint mania didn’t really start in earnest until 1969. Up through 1968, the annuals for the big guns (ASM, FF, Hulk and Thor at least) featured all new material or extensive new material with a reprint or two.

FF Annual # 6 ( '68 )......birth of Franklin Richards and first appearance of Anhihilus. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Annual reprint mania didnt really start in earnest until 1969. Up through 1968, the annuals for the big guns (ASM, FF, Hulk and Thor at least) featured all new material or extensive new material with a reprint or two.

Superman Annuals #1-8

Batman Annuals #1-7

Flash Annual #1

Superboy Annual #1

Etc.

All reprints...........

And....

I would be very surprised if a single Marvel annual was "all new, no reprint" material.....yes, the Marvel annuals DID feature new stories, but unless I'm smoking weed, every single one of them had reprint material included.

And ST annual #1 was all reprint, too.

(I guess I didn't clarify "stuffed" well enough. My apologies. ;) )

The average collector can't afford to get the regular number 1 issues and must settle for the 1st annual.

Do other collectors really feel this way? That thought has never crossed my mind.

I've always seen annuals as more of a tool to try and get more people buying the regular series. Often times they are mostly, if not all, reprinted material and they never seem to be tied into the regular series. I've never even thought that one needed the annuals to be able to say "I have a complete run of ________".

It seems to me to be a case of low demand = low value.

Thoughts?

My point is that prices are so low already coupled with low demand equals aren't they overlooked by collectors? Supply flooded in the 60's-overprinted?

I don't think they're overpriced because I never considered them to be part of the main title run and many others feel the same way so I really don't see a sudden, pent-up demand to drive the price of Annuals upwards.

Room for growth? Surely it will be slow and steady.

I love the early Spidey annuals 1-5. They have original stories that are not found anywhere else, pin-ups and other special features. Most collectors don't fully appreciate them. I don't care much for the later Annuals that just consist of reprints.

Annual 1 - Sinister 6 gauntlet on enemies

Annual 2 - Doctor Strange

Annual 3 - On tryout to join the Avengers by battling the Hulk

Annual 4 - Teams with the Torch to battle Mysterio

Annual 5 - The story of Peter Parker's parents.

The FF annuals are similar. FF 3 has the big wedding!

I never considered them to be part of the main title run and many others feel the same way

That is surprising to me. I consider any annual with even 1 non-reprint story to be needed for a "complete run". In my eyes, they are absolutely part of the main run.

And Fantastic Four annual 6 has not one single page of reprints. Neither does annual 5, a hugely overlooked comic that features The Silver Surfer's first solo story.