• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Silver Age Annuals Overlooked in OSPG?

92 posts in this topic

Annual reprint mania didnt really start in earnest until 1969. Up through 1968, the annuals for the big guns (ASM, FF, Hulk and Thor at least) featured all new material or extensive new material with a reprint or two.

Superman Annuals #1-8

Batman Annuals #1-7

Flash Annual #1

Superboy Annual #1

Etc.

All reprints...........

And....

I would be very surprised if a single Marvel annual was "all new, no reprint" material.....yes, the Marvel annuals DID feature new stories, but unless I'm smoking weed, every single one of them had reprint material included.

And ST annual #1 was all reprint, too.

(I guess I didn't clarify "stuffed" well enough. My apologies. ;) )

Most Marvel annuals from the 60's had New Material (usually important events)...with some reprint material. A few were All-New with no reprint material. I personally feel they are under-rated, but that's just an opinion, and great for me since I am a consumer of these early Marvel Annuals. I prefer the 72 pg. GIANTS...which were last produced in 1966. The new material in these Annuals was usually top-notch, and was an important event in the Marvel mythos, or a 1st appearance. Always lots of bonus features too. I think they're great!!!!

The Early DC Annuals were much different, and featured almost exclusively reprint material. The Marvel Annual (though 8 pgs. smaller) were more classier. :headbang:

I never considered them to be part of the main title run and many others feel the same way

That is surprising to me. I consider any annual with even 1 non-reprint story to be needed for a "complete run". In my eyes, they are absolutely part of the main run.

And Fantastic Four annual 6 has not one single page of reprints. Neither does annual 5, a hugely overlooked comic that features The Silver Surfer's first solo story.

Or ASM Annual #1....72 pgs. of perfection by Steve Ditko (no reprints and essential to the Spidey mythos)....what about those Amazing Splash Page fight scenes with the Sinister Six!!!!! In 1964, it didn't get better than that. The regular comic never featured Splash page fight scenes. So I feel they were Bonus deluxe issues beyond the regular issue possibilities.

I never considered them to be part of the main title run and many others feel the same way

That is surprising to me. I consider any annual with even 1 non-reprint story to be needed for a "complete run". In my eyes, they are absolutely part of the main run.

And Fantastic Four annual 6 has not one single page of reprints. Neither does annual 5, a hugely overlooked comic that features The Silver Surfer's first solo story.

Or ASM Annual #1....72 pgs. of perfection by Steve Ditko (no reprints and essential to the Spidey mythos)....what about those Amazing Splash Page fight scenes with the Sinister Six!!!!! In 1964, it didn't get better than that. The regular comic never featured Splash page fight scenes. So I feel they were Bonus deluxe issues beyond the regular issue possibilities.

(thumbs u

I love the early Spidey annuals 1-5. They have original stories that are not found anywhere else, pin-ups and other special features. Most collectors don't fully appreciate them. I don't care much for the later Annuals that just consist of reprints.

Annual 1 - Sinister 6 gauntlet on enemies

Annual 2 - Doctor Strange

Annual 3 - On tryout to join the Avengers by battling the Hulk

Annual 4 - Teams with the Torch to battle Mysterio

Annual 5 - The story of Peter Parker's parents.

The FF annuals are similar. FF 3 has the big wedding!

Yup, I forgot about some of these but yes these are all great reads and should be in every Spidey collectors collection. :cloud9:

I love the early Spidey annuals 1-5. They have original stories that are not found anywhere else, pin-ups and other special features. Most collectors don't fully appreciate them. I don't care much for the later Annuals that just consist of reprints.

Yup, I forgot about some of these but yes these are all great reads and should be in every Spidey collectors collection. :cloud9:

The first six FF annuals each had something new to offer;

Annual 1 - Subby finds his long-lost race and we're introduced to Lady Dorma and Warlord Krang.

Annual 2 - The full (or at least, a more detailed) origin of Dr. Doom.

Annual 3 - The wedding of Reed and Sue, with a "who's who" gallery of guest appearances, including Stan Lee and Jack Kirby themselves at the end!

Annual 4 - The 1st appearance of the GA Human Torch in the SA.

Annual 5 - Contains the first solo story on the Silver Surfer.

Annual 6 - The birth of Franklin Richards. Probably also the 1st appearance of the Negative Zone?

Being a Thor fan, I must also mention:

Journey Into Mystery Annual 1 - 1st appearance of Hercules (that alternate cameo in Avengers 10 doesn't count).

Thor Annual 2 - Awesome story featuring the Destroyer.

Are Silver Age Annuals Overlooked in OSPG?

Particularly Annual #1's. I mean look at Superman,Flash, ASM or Batman Annual#1's they guide for so low relative to the regular number 1s. The average collector can't afford to get the regular number 1 issues and must settle for the 1st annual.

Aren't they too cheap in OSPG especially being squarebounds? Demand is lacking too despite the already low prices!

Thoughts?

I think the number of available copies is somewhat low because of a lower demand, both from when new and now by collectors to sell. They take a back seat to other issues, but I think they are out there.

The pricing is close to the similar age regular series books. Multiply the issue # by twelve and compare them to that issue of the regular series books. The census figures are lower, that would suggest that the prices should be higher, but the demand is still different for annuals.

Annuals are in low demand, even for popular titles. I've owned Spidey Annual 1 and FF Annual 1 both in 9.0 and average prices haven't gone up much at all the last decade.

....but what COOL comics. GOD BLESS...

-jimba friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1,000

Annual 1 - Subby finds his long-lost race and we're introduced to Lady Dorma and Warlord Krang.

Annual 3 - The wedding of Reed and Sue, with a "who's who" gallery of guest appearances, including Stan Lee and Jack Kirby themselves at the end!

Annual 6 - The birth of Franklin Richards. Probably also the 1st appearance of the Negative Zone?

Journey Into Mystery Annual 1 - 1st appearance of Hercules (that alternate cameo in Avengers 10 doesn't count).

YES, the 60's annuals are superb. I collect the ASM, FF and Thor 60's annuals as I feel they are an essential part of the collection

Superman Annuals 1 and 2 have classic covers. Sure theyre reprints but they are very early Annuals that lead the way for the rest. And Stan and Jack outdid DC by featuring all new stories... further differentiating Marvel from DC

YES, the 60's annuals are superb. I collect the ASM, FF and Thor 60's annuals as I feel they are an essential part of the collection

Back in the day, they were the year's most eagerly awaited event....all for a quarter. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks for the info. :)

(Yes, I was clearly smoking weed, but not *too* much.)

Annual reprint mania didnt really start in earnest until 1969. Up through 1968, the annuals for the big guns (ASM, FF, Hulk and Thor at least) featured all new material or extensive new material with a reprint or two.

Superman Annuals #1-8

Batman Annuals #1-7

Flash Annual #1

Superboy Annual #1

Etc.

All reprints...........

And....

I would be very surprised if a single Marvel annual was "all new, no reprint" material.....yes, the Marvel annuals DID feature new stories, but unless I'm smoking weed, every single one of them had reprint material included.

And ST annual #1 was all reprint, too.

(I guess I didn't clarify "stuffed" well enough. My apologies. ;) )

No, what you failed to clarify is if you have any more weed...

and some of those annuals, while mostly reprint material, had some cool pin ups (like the 2nd Flash annual- 80 page giant #4- which had that great Infantino/Anderson Rogues Gallery pin up)

lol

Mostly? They're ALL reprint! Ok, so they feature new covers, too...does that count?

;)

Secret Origins is really underrated.

I thought about adding Secret Origins to my list, but since it's a conglomeration reprint, and there was no Secret Origins regular title, I left it out.

I still love it, though. One of the very first important DC SA books I ever saw. Took me a long time to find one I was happy with.

For me, even the reprints are collectable. I'm not going to start collecting silver age Superman or Batman, but by picking up annuals on the cheap, I get a great sampling of those titles. They're both nice, attainable little runs.

I love the Annuals, and I have every DC annual (except Rudolph.) Superman #1-up, Batman #1-up, 80 Page (which only sorta counts), etc.

But that doesn't mean that they're not overpriced in the OPG. They're only really collected by the die hard completists...and die hard completists don't make up a large part of the hobby.