• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Silver Age Annuals Overlooked in OSPG?

92 posts in this topic

I agree about the ASM #1 annual, it's special. I miss this one, the only copy I've had so far. Tom likes it too I think.

9.0, White pages, and slight color touch.

asmannual1frontvfnm.jpg

I think it is the best Annual ever made...period!!!!! :headbang:

On a personal level, if someone told me that I would be exiled on a tropical island and could only bring 10 comics with you for the rest of your life, ASM Annual #1 would be one of the ten books I will be taking....but that's just me, and I have my personal reasons for the love.... :luhv:

But regardless of the biased feelings i might have, I don't see another Annual whether DC or whatever, equaling this Annual.... hm

We can talk about close second and thirds if you want to...?????

Ditto, I need to find another one and crack it out to reread it.

Is yours a NM-, I'm looking?

No, mine was 8.5....I sold it to Tortoise...but I need another copy now....and nothing less than 9.0 will do...prefer maybe a 9.2.... hm

Can't pick one up right now...I'm going on vacation in 3 days, and don't want to spend any money until I get back....I saw the Clink copy...just was not ready yet...

I am going to be very particular on this pick-up, looking for White Pages and a well-centered book with a White cover. No yellowing....as soon as I get back I will start save my pennies. hm

Actually I want a copy similar to your copy (thumbs u .....just no color touch. :P

I remember when you picked up that copy...I thought it was a 9.0.....and it turned out that it was a 9.0.....but i didn't know about the color touch..... (shrug)

Still a really nice book....

I'm glad to see some love on the ASM Annual #1. Now, I agree that most annuals don't realize high demand; however, THAT book is still considered a priority on nearly every ASM completionists hit list that I've ever talked to. It avoids the chop shop job of reprinting old stuff and packs in some significantly solid, foundational material in it. Must read, must have book and buying it at guide is a fair deal if anyone were to ask me.

2c

The Top Ten Silver Age Marvel Annuals!

1. Fantastic Four Annual #1

A sweeping epic that displayed how cool the format could be.

2. Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1

See the rave reviews earlier in this thread.

3.Strange Tales Annual #2

Really early Spidey appearance and fun read.

4. Fantastic Four Annual #6

My post, my pick. Complain if you want.

5. Fantastic Four Annual #3

The Entire Marvel Universe parties like it's 1965!

6. Journey Into Mystery Annual #1

Kirby needed the extra room for both Asgard and Olympus.

7. Strange Tales Annual #1 and Millie The Model Annual #1 (tie)

Being first matters!

9. Amazing Spider-Man Annual #2

Ditko's twin triumphs meet.

10. Journey Into Mystery Annual #2

A really great Destroyer story.

My top ten Marvel Annuals are not far off from yours!!!! Just a few minor differences!!!

My Top Ten:

1) Amazing Spiderman Annual #1 : 1st Sinister Six, origin, amazing splash fight scenes, no reprints.

2) Fantastic Four Annual #1 : The Sub-mariner finds his Lost race. 1st super-villian gallery.

3) Fantastic Four Annual #2 : Origin of Dr. Doom (1st Dr. Doom solo story), nice Dr. Doom feature story too...

4) Fantastic Four Annual #3 : Wedding of Reed & Sue...features cameos of almost everyone in the Marvel Universe...

5) Journey Into Mystery Annual #1 : 1st app. of Hercules, Asgard meets Olympus.

6) Amazing Spiderman Annnual #2 : Excellent Spidey/Dr. Strange tale by Steve Ditko...

7) Amazing Spiderman Annual #3 :Spidey vs the Hulk, and the Avengers.

8) Fantastic Four Annual #5 : 1st solo Silver Surfer story.

9) Strange Tales Annual #2 : Early Spiderman story (fourth app.).

10) Strange Tales Annual #1/Millie the Model Annual #1 : 1st Marvel Annuals.

Honorable mentions; Thor Annual #2, FF Annual #4, Marvel Tales Annual #1.

:grin:

Does anyone know the release dates of FF Annual #1 and Strange Tales Annuals #1 and #2?

I'm just curious where they land in the chronology of those series.

Thanks,

-John

Issue - Cover Month - (Newsstand)

Strange Tales Annual #1 - 1962 - (July 1962)

Apparently there is a copy with a handwritten arrival date of July 2. Other books that month were released on the 3rd and 10th. This annual contained fantasy story reprints.

Strange Tales Annual #2 - 1963 - (June 11th, 1963)

Fantastic Four Annual #1 - 1963 - (July 2nd, 1963)

Here are Spider-Man's first 12 appearances, incorporating the role of Strange Tales Annual #2, Fantastic Four Annual #1 and Strange Tales #115:

Amazing Fantasy #15 - August - (June 5, 1962)

Amazing Spider-Man #1 - March - (December 10, 1962)

Amazing Spider-Man #2 - May - (February 12th, 1963)

Amazing Spider-Man #3 - July - (April 9th, 1963)

Amazing Spider-Man #4 - September - (June 11th, 1963)

Amazing Spider-Man #5 - October - (July 9th, 1963)

Amazing Spider-Man #6 - November - (August 8th, 1963)

Amazing Spider-Man #7 - December - (September 10th, 1963)

Strange Tales #115 - December - (September 10th, 1963)

Amazing Spider-Man #8 - January - (October 8th, 1963)

Does anyone know the release dates of FF Annual #1 and Strange Tales Annuals #1 and #2?

Thanks,

-John

Apparently there is a copy with a handwritten arrival date of July 2. Other books that month were released on the 3rd and 10th. This annual contained fantasy story reprints.

Here are Spider-Man's first 12 appearances, incorporating the role of Strange Tales Annual #2, Fantastic Four Annual #1 and Strange Tales #115:

Great Info: Thanks!!!! (thumbs u

Opps!!! I was wrong on the ST Ann. #2 I thought it was the 4th app. it's actually tied for the 5th appearance). :P

edit: Rethinking this, I rememebr that ST Ann. #2 was the 4th app. in chronological order. That's why this number (4th app.) stuck in my head... :headbang:

Even though ASM #4 came out at the same time...the ST story was done before the story in ASM #4...someone correct me if I am wrong on this...????

I thought I would add this little tid-bit.....concerning the "1st Marvel (Silver Age) Annual"

You mentioned ST Ann. #1 with a penciled in date stamp (July 2th)....I know of a Millie the Model Ann. #1 with a date stamp of July 5th...

I think this reinforces that both Annuals were released at the same time during the Summer of 1962. So I think they are tied as "1st Marvel Annuals"). I'm sure I can find a copy of ST Ann. #1 with the July 5th date also...

Eggs has one (ST Ann. #1) with a date stamp on the back cover. I need to check it again the next time I see it... hm

Thanks,

-John

Great Info: Thanks!!!! (thumbs u

Opps!!! I was wrong on the ST Ann. #2 I thought it was the 4th app. it's actually tied for the 5th appearance). :P

edit: Rethinking this, I rememebr that ST Ann. #2 was the 4th app. in chronological order. That's why this number (4th app.) stuck in my head... :headbang:

Even though ASM #4 came out at the same time...the ST story was done before the story in ASM #4...someone correct me if I am wrong on this...????

I thought I would add this little tid-bit.....concerning the "1st Marvel (Silver Age) Annual"

You mentioned ST Ann. #1 with a penciled in date stamp (July 2th)....I know of a Millie the Model Ann. #1 with a date stamp of July 5th...

I think this reinforces that both Annuals were released at the same time during the Summer of 1962. So I think they are tied as "1st Marvel Annuals"). I'm sure I can find a copy of ST Ann. #1 with the July 5th date also...

Eggs has one (ST Ann. #1) with a date stamp on the back cover. I need to check it again the next time I see it... hm

There's a story code in ASM #4 (x-362) but I could not find a story code on the ST story. Without codes, I am not sure how one might conclude that one preceded the other.

There are also not any plotline overlaps that might help to externally order the stories.

It would be interesting if someone has a some sort of production order record but still I think that it would be an artificial distinction as both clearly had the same deadline for production.

I suppose that if one wished to split logical hairs, the 21 page Sandman story was probably started earlier than the 18 page Human Torch/Spider-man story if both were to meet the same deadline. Especially given that Kirby and Ayers* were speedy sons-of-a-gun.

*The Torch/Spider-Man story is an interesting one to re-visit. The inking is credited to Ditko but it is clearly Ayers. (Ditko's inking of Kirby was far more Ditko-nuanced as exampled by the earlier FF #13.)