• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus #300 File copy

22 posts in this topic

INSTANT PEDIGREE! WOW! (why does this disturb me for some reason?)

Because CGG didn't do it?

No really...I was there and I'm not sure why they consider this to be a part of the pedigree collection - which is deserved for the other books that Dave set aside, but I guess because he did set these aside for his files (as he did with the other issues) it qualifies as an instant pedigree book.

Nice picture on the auction.... Peter, Paul and Mar....uh.... Mevvy.

And no, I didn't get one, so yes, I'm going to bid on a couple of these puppies. Heck, how many times do you get to bid on an auction where you are pictured!

Kev

I'd call it more of a "special designation" than a pedigree. The book is brand new. And yes, even a special designation bothers me. Isn't the "signature series" enough?

INSTANT PEDIGREE! WOW! (why does this disturb me for some reason?)

Fantasy,I have to agree with you. The word : Pedigree seems to be thrown around on too many collections nowadays. It's all hype IMO!!! Save it for a collection that deserves it.I think most board members would agree.

Fantasy,I have to agree with you. The word : Pedigree seems to be thrown around on too many collections nowadays. It's all hype IMO!!! Save it for a collection that deserves it.I think most board members would agree.

Please... give us in your well-thought out definition of a pedigree collection and explain why this collection does not meet it.

I'm only 25% in agreement with you on the 100 issue 300's, but how do Sim's other file copies NOT make the pedigree cut?

Kev

hey Kev.... why is Dave doing all this promotion with Paradise and not Now and Then? Did the store close when Harry passed away? Seems like Now and Then would be the logical store and I would guess Dave's sentimental favorite for the honor...

The new owner of Now & Then is just rebuilding the store, and is focused on improving the store itself in Kitchener. And he's not really convinced about the viability of CGC.

Also, Peter came to Dave with the idea of doing a signature series of issue 300 and during the course of their discussions Dave brought up selling his file copies.

They've been talking about this for some time - before Harry's passing - so I don't think Now & Then was considered.

Kev

This whole thing does so remind me of the "manufactured collectible" mania in the 80's that nearly destroyed the industry. I hope CGC doesn't go crazy getting involved with these kind of projects. It should not have been called a pedigree. The term pedigree is really getting misused and distorted here.

Matt Nelson's Article about Authentic Pedigrees

This whole thing does so remind me of the "manufactured collectible" mania in the 80's that nearly destroyed the industry. I hope CGC doesn't go crazy getting involved with these kind of projects. It should not have been called a pedigree. The term pedigree is really getting misused and distorted here.

That's not an answer. How does this differ from the Gaines File Copies which are a recognized pedigree?

Kev

Matt Nelson's Article about Authentic Pedigrees

I think you meant 90's. Anyway, in the press release for these books Dave Sim stated:

"By the time I started Cerebus, the story of Bill Gaines putting away twelve copies of each E.C. comic, fresh from the printer was pretty widespread in the collectibles market" says Sim. "I had no idea if it was an urban legend or not. I had heard that he put twenty of each away, so that's what I did." Sim laughs, "I'm glad I got that part wrong."

Point being, Dave based his File Copies on the Gaines File Copies, which were in fact one of the original 10 Pedigrees CGC was going to recognize when we opened. If you want to tell the hobby that the Gaines File Copies should not be a pedigree, good luck.

From our site: Pedigree- a comic book that originated in a famous collection. CGC recognizes these ten collections as being pedigrees; Mile High, Allentown, Denver, Bethlehem, White Mountain, Spokane, Larson, Gaines File Copies, San Francisco and Pennsylvania. (Obviously we need to update this)

Also from our site: A File Copy- a comic book that was originally from the publisher's file. Not all file copies are in perfect condition. Also, if a comic book has an arrival date, it cannot be a file copy, but it may have a copyright date.

In the press release it also states:

Peter Dixon, owner of Toronto's Paradise Comics store, will hand-pick the best 100 copies from an initial quantity of 500 which will be supplied by the long-time printer of Cerebus, Preney Print & Litho of Windsor, Canada.

"With Dave's cooperation, I've spoken with Kim Preney to specify what I will be looking for when selecting the top 100 copies such as: tightness, flatness, sharp trim at the top and bottom of the spine with no curl, roll or fraying. These are the distinctions that separate the top-graded CGC books from the second-tier grades,” said Peter Dixon.

These were not distributed. They were selected as per Dave's wishes, under his supervision. Had William Gaines wished have 100 of each final issue pulled for his file copies, then they still would be considered Gaines File Copies. Perhaps your rub is with Pedigrees themselves, in which case I cannot help you. Anyway, I hope this brief explanation helped.

My Bad kev and plitch. I misunderstood. The pedigree will consist of issue from #1 through #149 that Sims had preserved? No, I agree, legitimate pedigree. I apologize for starting a ruckus. My fault. sorry.gif