• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Twin Cities Pedigree shaping up..........

219 posts in this topic

"Second best SA pedigree behind the Pacific Coasts"

How soon they forget...

The Massachusetts pedigree had complete high grade runs of all Marvel titles, with high grade examples of every early key, along with high grade runs of DCs that went all the way back to 1960, plus high grade Gold Keys and magazines. All of the collection had outstanding page quality.

How soon they forget...

The Massachusetts pedigree had complete high grade runs of all Marvel titles, with high grade examples of every early key, along with high grade runs of DCs that went all the way back to 1960, plus high grade Gold Keys and magazines. All of the collection had outstanding page quality.

I heard most of the FF's went early on....do you have any details about condition of the first 15 ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Pacific Coast doesn't even eclipse Curator :baiting:

You're probably right, but since most of Curator got spread to the wind before it was designated a pedigree, we'll never know. :(

Curator is still #1 for me, plus it has to boast still the best pedigree story I have ever heard. lol

When you sell your collection, that collection story will put the Curator story to shame.

lol

I don't know what you mean by this, but I'm going to choose to believe it means he went halfway through the procedure, realized that half-and-half is superior, and then decided to stop there. hm

did CUrator have all the marvel titles?

i only hear of curator spidey, ff and some xmen??

The Curator original owner was shopping his collection using several venues including a local comic shop, which is where most of the books were sold through. Harley bought a bunch, and John Hauser bought a bunch after meeting the original owner at a convention. Hauser knew Brulato, so he sold most of them directly to him; I believe it was just the Spideys, X-Men, and Tales of Suspense, but it may also have been another title or two. All of the other titles were gone by the time Hauser got to them. FF #1 was sold to one person, and FF #2 to #100 was sold to a single person who is a very famous comic book creator and presumably still owns them given that no FF Curators have been seen by CGC. When CGC opened up operations a few years later, Brulato had them slabbed as a pedigree.

Hauser was told by the original owner that it was a complete or nearly-complete collection of Marvels and DCs. The OO was a collector and actively attended cons and also had an extensive second-hand Golden Age collection as well, but the Silver books were all purchased by him off the stands.

When you hear stories like that you ask why. Why did someone buy every book sold back in the 60s. Why did they decide to keep them in mint condition. How did they survive 30-60 years without deterioration?

It is really remarkable that a few men did this and we reap the rewards of their OCD.

Hauser was told by the original owner that it was a complete or nearly-complete collection of Marvels and DCs. The OO was a collector and actively attended cons and also had an extensive second-hand Golden Age collection as well, but the Silver books were all purchased by him off the stands.

John Hauser still had some Curator modern/copper books left the last time I saw him in Chicago.

(thumbs u

How soon they forget...

I heard most of the FF's went early on....do you have any details about condition of the first 15 ? GOD BLESS...

Marnin still has most of the early FFs. They are raw. The FF #5 is a 9.2. The #12 is a 9.2/9.4. I don't remember most of the others since it's been about 4 or 5 years since I've seen them. Beautiful copies.

The two early Mass FFs that have been slabbed that I know about are the #3 (a 9.2) and the #14 (a 9.0 sitting in my collection). Marnin graded the FF1 a NM- or NM, if memory serves me, and listed it at the exorbitant price (heh) of $20,000.

Thanks for alll the info, guys. I know it's lame, but I judge pedigrees by the state of the FF run. Over the years, most of the Original Owner collections I've seen are weaker in that area for some reason. It's nice to know about the Mass FF's. GOD BLESS....

How soon they forget...

meh, it's just marketing. "5th best SA pedigree behind Pacific Coast, White Mountain, Curator, and Mass collections" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Hi Jimbo --

As a huge FF fan, I tend to do the same somewhat (i.e., judge a pedigree by the FF's ) given that the title goes back to late 1961 and some early issues (1-20) are ridiculously tough in 9.0 and up (I think the census still backs me up on that one). I'm excited to see some of these Twin Cities copies come up, though, and am looking forward to Heritage posting the images.

As a native Minnesotan (Duluth), I would very much like one for my collection as well. We'll see...

Dan

When you hear stories like that you ask why. Why did someone buy every book sold back in the 60s. Why did they decide to keep them in mint condition. How did they survive 30-60 years without deterioration?

It is really remarkable that a few men did this and we reap the rewards of their OCD.

Hauser says the Curator original owner bought them due to speculation and/or just collecting--he was a collector in the 50s/60s and just bought all the new stuff coming out and tried to keep it in nice shape because he had a sense they could increase in value. He kept them in a vault in his museum he worked as a curator for, hence the pedigree's name. He was forced to remove them from the vault which is part of his motivation for selling them when he did.

I haven't had the oppurtunity to see a lot of pedigrees. One of my regret was not jumping on the WM copy of FF 16 that was up on the boards for 1250 a while back. At that time I had never seen a White Mountain in person and had no idea how fantastic the gloss and suppleness of the cover stock was. The book actually sat there for over a day, but I passed as I already had an incredible 9.0. Rich has it now and I doubt it's evergoing anywhere. Another one was the WM coy of ASM 15 in 8.5 for $850 on Clink for weeks....I can only imagine what that was like out of the slab. GOD BLESS...

Holy mess.

JCASBE7L1CAK3O2EMCAA1RJNYCAMOEVDKCATM0N2CCA7YCUM1CAH1EV02CAKY81L4CA7CLYHOCAT98BAHCAYVQBGYCAFAI53LCAQS5TIFCAJTACDHCAHKYAD9CAO9PLZ5CAU7FHXMCA0.jpg

ghth.jpg

These books are suburb. ;)

I am assuming their will be hundreds more from this new "Twin Cities" pedigree collection to make CGC give it pedigree status. Guess we will just have to wait and see.