• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Twin Cities Pedigree shaping up..........

219 posts in this topic

Ahem...the point was that Heritage's scans do not always represent the colors accurately. If your monitor converts Heritage's scan in a fashion that reflects reality, it is probably time to get a new monitor coz it's about to blow.

I don't disagree with your point about Heritage, I just thought the anecdote about your (much better than Heritage's) scan looking 20% brighter on my LCD versus my laptop would nicely illustrate the point FF and I have been trying to make in this thread.

One thing I notice, these Twin Cities have the RICHEST magenta strike I've ever seen....like they were printed yesterday. The Magenta is the first to go when exposed to sunlight. VERY sharp books to me....not at all bothered by the overspray. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Heritage scanning process "pushes" the magenta. There's nothing special about that color on these books, which do appear to be fresh copies even if they aren't Curator uber-white.

I think he is refering to the color of the cover stock. Many SA books have a little ink/oil transfer from the interior inks to the covers causing the cover stock to turn a light, uniform grey/tan. It's the reason beautiful blue cover books like JIM #83 turn grey rather than a bright blue. So even thought the book is structurally super higher grade, the transfer takes away from the cover whites and the brightness of the rest of the book.

I could be wrong (and I don't mean to take away from anything that this collection has to offer as it's a stunning collection so far) but I believe it is caused by a slightly warmer storage condition that allows the interior inks to break down and bleed.

I guess everbody has their peeves. I never even noticed it until it was pointed out.

And the plastic of a slab also visually greys the colours of a book.

Hmm. That I had not noticed.

The combination of the color of the inner well and slab add a grayish dulling tint to the color.

It's impossible. The differences between the quality of the scanners, the scanner settings, image manipulation and the calibration of the monitor you're viewing the content on all change the scanned image from reality. On an exceptionally high end system that's well-calibrated you might be able to make a scan that looks "true" on your closed system, but send it to anyone else with a different monitor and monitor calibration settings (which they probably don't even have,) and you'll get an entirely different result.

Very well said and I agree entirely! I just didn't want to be arrogant by failing to give the whiteness and color speculators the benefit of the doubt that they have a truly prodigal way of somehow deriving real-world colors from scans. (worship)

The color temperature of the light source and reflections off of surrounding objects will also impact the color that you see.

Heritage's scans are hit-or-miss as far as colors. Here is a Heritage scan followed by my scan. My scan accurately shows the colors.

dude, that's almost as bad as robojo33 on altering the colors. smh :tonofbricks:

my guess?

image > adjustments >auto levels

Auto brightness and Auto color. Run with the batch macro, probably.

Eh. What can you do? All I do is look for the number in the upper left and make sure there isn't any rust on the staples

In my opinion, book for book the Curators have the nicest look. In the past, Brulato mentioned to me that he has matched up many Pacific Coast marvels against the Curators, and while technically the Pacific coast are as nice and in some cases a 9.8 to a 9.6 (Amazing Spiderman #6), the Curators are another level up in paper quality and ink reflectivity, but (Brulato would still keep the higher grade).

That being said, the Curators were sold over a few years even before Hauser first got in there (FF Curators have not been graded) and because the Pacific Coast collection is much more vast, the Pacific Coast would be #1. What is your opinion (drdonaldblake).

The twin cities collection almost look the like the Curators, with the overspray on some, and both from Minneapoils/St.Paul.

It's pretty fun to watch the collection grow...Heritage knows how to build the drama. I just hope all the collective pockets out there can handle this volume... :makepoint:

And the hits keep coming! Overspray aside, some brilliant books.

TCASM9.jpg

TCJIM86.jpg

TCST110.jpg

TCX-Men4.jpg