• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please check your early Actions, Bats and Supes

24 posts in this topic

Hey guys, wanted to ask you GA guys to do me a favor please. If any of you have early Action Comics, Batmans, Supermans or any other WWII era superhero books could you please check to see if you have this stamp on the back cover?

ht19b-1.jpg

If any of you are interested, you can read the story here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4640673&Board=4&fpart=all&gonew=1#UNREAD

If not, long story short, i got in touch with father Charles maher and he said he sold over 500 GA books in 1970 and most of them had these stamps. The books were mainly very early Action, Superman and Batmans(although mine is a Human Torch). I'd REALLY like to locate some more of these books if possible so i figure with all the GA gems you guys in here have, you could hopefully dig up 1 or 2 of them.

If any of you could help out and check your early issues, i would REALLY appreciate it! If you find 1, PLEASE post a pic here or PM me (thumbs u

That was a cool story, Jason. I personally have never seen that stamp before, but will be sure to keep my eyes out for it in the future.

There was another priest who collected comics - the Church Wonder Womans if I recall correctly.

Cool, thanks!

The books were clearly sold to a dealer so they should still be around. Unless the whole story was phony which I have no reason whatsoever to think based on my conversation with him, I figure at least 1 of you guys either have or have seen this stamp on one of your GA superhero books. I'd REALLY like to locate more of these books now that Ive talked to him and heard the story.

Nobody?

Hmmm, thats disappointing. I was fairly confident 1 of you guys might have one or at least remember seeing one. Nobody recognizes that stamp or remembers ever seeing one?

Actually I have seen it once, years ago on a book I worked on. I looked through all my scans but cant find it, nor do I remember what book it was. :( I want to say it was an early Superman book, but am not 100% sure.

But I do remember that shade of blue quite well, as well as the name Charles.

Not much help other then passing along that I have seen it before.

Nobody?

Hmmm, thats disappointing. I was fairly confident 1 of you guys might have one or at least remember seeing one. Nobody recognizes that stamp or remembers ever seeing one?

Goes to show that, despite all seeming appearances here where we share scans every day, some books are buried deep in collection of folks that are not online or don't care to share or simply not on this site. They are out there ... but where?

Actually I have seen it once, years ago on a book I worked on. I looked through all my scans but cant find it, nor do I remember what book it was. :( I want to say it was an early Superman book, but am not 100% sure.

hey, at least thats something!

I'd love to see a scan but its nice knowing someone else has at least seen 1 so they are out there somewhere.

I am pretty sure I have (or have or had) a Timely, either a late number Torch or Marvel Mystery, with that stamp. Sorry I haven't had a chance to check as of yet.

I am pretty sure I have (or have or had) a Timely, either a late number Torch or Marvel Mystery, with that stamp. Sorry I haven't had a chance to check as of yet.

Sweet!!!

If you could check whenever you get a chance, I would REALLY appreciate it!

If you find it, PLEASE post it here or PM me. Thanks! (worship)

Sweet!!!

If you could check whenever you get a chance, I would REALLY appreciate it!

If you find it, PLEASE post it here or PM me. Thanks! (worship)

(thumbs u

Might have been my Batman 2, which then went to CGC and then to Canada...and I think was sold again...because it looks familiar to me, too.

I remember the WW story, Steve Ritter told me that was why all the Mile High WW's are lower grade, a Monk collected them and he walked around with them in a Paper bag.

Might have been my Batman 2, which then went to CGC and then to Canada...and I think was sold again...because it looks familiar to me, too.

I remember the WW story, Steve Ritter told me that was why all the Mile High WW's are lower grade, a Monk collected them and he walked around with them in a Paper bag.

I dont suppose theres any chance you have an old scan of that book stored somewhere? :wishluck:

Nope, I just pulled up your scans and the BC had some pencil scribbles and an "R".

But no stamp.

I thought you were onto something when you mentioned it though.

Bummer. :(

Nobody?

Goes to show that, despite all seeming appearances here where we share scans every day, some books are buried deep in collection of folks that are not online or don't care to share or simply not on this site. They are out there ... but where?

Or they are in boxes with backing boards and you have to pull each one out to look, lol...and are not sure where to start;) None so far in my Actions, but as I go through them, I'll look...I'm still on A.

Have you trolled through the Heritage archives?

No, i didnt think of that. For some reason, ive never used Heritage and have only used WW, CC and clink for my auctions since i got back in 6 months ago. I never go on their site so it didnt occur to me even though ive heard people talking about their archive photos.

I'll definitely start going thru their photos and see if i can find anything!

Do they have back cover scans in their archives?