• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Britain (1976) Submission Questions

18 posts in this topic

I've got some really nice copies of Captain Britain #1-4 that I'm thinking about subbing

The mask is detached from #1 and the boomerang from #2. I'm guessing these would be GLODs? I have both the mask and boomerang unused. I know you can't sub loose items.

They look like fairly healthy prices even in qualified according to GPA. I think mine might have a good shot at higher than the 9.2 GLODs that are reflected in GPA.

So a couple of questions.

1. Are these submitted under the magazine tier or a comic tier?

2. For the first two issues - would you sub them knowing they would be graded as qualified incomplete?

I always liked the Captain Britain UK run! :applause: I have never seen a UK mag graded. (shrug) But I have never really looked either. Its smaller then a mag...but bigger then a comic. No idea what it would be graded under. Would you happen to have an extra Cap. Brit. #24? Its the only one I need for the set. And I also have some dupes to trade of some issues, if your looking to build a set. I would not grade them if they are incomplete. But thats just me.

Thanks, bro. No #24 that I found yet. I found a mess of UK comics that were sealed in some small paper sacks but I haven't opened those yet. I'll let you know.

And you're right it's hard to judge whether it would be worth it or not. Only one copy of #3 in the census. And very few of the others. Only 1 blue label #2.

Well at least you know slabbed copies are rare! lol I have alot of nice copies of books from that run. Been looking for a #24 for quite awhile now. I find one now and then but alot of times the paper airplane had been removed and I pass. If you find a #24 and it has the airplane....Let me know! :headbang:

I can't believe I detached the mask and boomerang. I really think I must have bought them already detached because here's a pic of the mask and boomerang that I kept unused in a comic bag. But who knows - been way too many years.

I'll let you know if I turn up a #24 with the plane.

Magazines029.jpg

Jeff...

There's an oversized HC collection in Previews this month.

'Captain Britain Vol. 1: Birth of a Legend'

reprints Captain Britain 1 to 39, Super Spider-Man and Captain Britain 231, 232 ($39-99)

Jeff...

There's an oversized HC collection in Previews this month.

'Captain Britain Vol. 1: Birth of a Legend'

reprints Captain Britain 1 to 39, Super Spider-Man and Captain Britain 231, 232 ($39-99)

Thanks Paul. I probably pick that up. I never read the four issues I have - they are printed on paper stock and I was always scared of damaging them :blush:

I hope they print the covers along with the stories.

I remember having the #1 and the mask - probably took it off myself doh!

(well I was only four)

So do you remember wearing it? :baiting:

So were these just glued in or were they attached in some other way. Mine don't look like they were torn out or had been perforated.

I think they were just glued in. I recently bought copies of #1 - #3 from a boardie who'd been the original owner. In the #1, it looks like the little piece attached to the mask was glued to the fun page. The glue had dried hard on the copy I bought and no longer holds the mask in place. Half the glue is in a line on the page in the book and the other half on the small piece attached to the mask.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if there are many copies that still have the glue in good enough condition to keep the mask / boomerang in place.

I remember having the #1 and the mask - probably took it off myself doh!

(well I was only four)

So do you remember wearing it? :baiting:

So were these just glued in or were they attached in some other way. Mine don't look like they were torn out or had been perforated.

I'm wearing it now (:

I think they were glued and as Loki said I doubt the glue still sticks after all these years!

I think they were just glued in. I recently bought copies of #1 - #3 from a boardie who'd been the original owner. In the #1, it looks like the little piece attached to the mask was glued to the fun page. The glue had dried hard on the copy I bought and no longer holds the mask in place. Half the glue is in a line on the page in the book and the other half on the small piece attached to the mask.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if there are many copies that still have the glue in good enough condition to keep the mask / boomerang in place.

I have a nice #1 as well. I bagged it and hadn't touched it since I bought it in the mid 80's. At the time, I'm sure the mask was attached. I opened it today, and it just fell out. I think you're right in that it was inserted in the "fun page" section. That's where mine fell out. I can't even find any glue residue in the book to figure out where exactly it was attached. (only glue is on the tab attached to the mask) .

I imagine the glue just dries up and gives out on these over time. Is there no way to avoid a qualified grade on this? Not sure I want to slab it anyway, but it's really a cool book and with the print stock, the ink is easily smeared. Just thinking about locking it up in a case...