• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller's C2E2 2011 Report (Pics and Scans)

225 posts in this topic

I sold a nice EC at the convention which was stickered at $500.00 for $225.00. Now, this is not my normal practice, but the book was formerly a VF, but somewhere along the way with handling, the staple had popped. The customer pointed this out, but still really liked the book, and we came to a price that he was happy with, and I salvaged what I could out of it.

That`s not really a good example of a dealer giving a discount. That`s more an example of a dealer grading and pricing a book incorrectly and then pricing the book more accurately upon having the defect pointed out to him.

Actually, it is just what I said. The book was priced and graded correctly when I priced it. At some point someone probably looked at the book and the staple popped.

Maybe you should stick to commenting on things which you know something about.

Lighten up, Francis.

Whether the book was graded inaccurately at the time you first graded it, or the defect happened after you had graded it, the point is that it was not the correct grade and price anymore by the time the buyer wanted to buy it.

The point of my post is that your "magnanimous" movement on the price wasn`t because of typical buyer-seller give and take, but because the book wasn`t the same grade you had originally assigned to it. I wasn`t criticizing your grading. :foryou:

If buyers are offering me 10% of my asking price I am saying Yes every time.

hm

:takeit::baiting:

And he'll give you the best donut you ever ate.

:sorry:

What? You make the best donuts?

hm

One of Bob's clients gave him a pack of donuts that 3 people said were the best donuts they ever had. When I went by he was all out. Maybe next time.

hm

One of Bob's clients gave him a pack of donuts that 3 people said were the best donuts they ever had. When I went by he was all out. Maybe next time.

:mad:

hm

I ate one. I probably should have had my picture taken with it, it was the absolute greatest donut ever. Except one I had made fresh while on an estate in Texas.

I ate one. I probably should have had my picture taken with it, it was the absolute greatest donut ever. Except one I had made fresh while on an estate in Texas.
Duh! I think it goes without saying that an estate donut trumps all others, including large house donuts.

hm

The way you, Bob and Jeff were describing it... I knew I missed something really good. Maybe next time at WW Chicago

Duh! I think it goes without saying that an estate donut trumps all others, including large house donuts.

What made it great is that it was made by the owner of the estate. Got up in the morning, he made them fresh, fried them himself. They were amazing. He also had his own ice cream shop, a large train that ran around his property, a zoo, a cathedral, etc. But he made d--n good donuts.

What made it great is that it was made by the owner of the estate. Got up in the morning, he made them fresh, fried them himself. They were amazing. He also had his own ice cream shop, a large train that ran around his property, a zoo, a cathedral, etc. But he made d--n good donuts.

That there is a Flying-Doughnut! Pics?

Was the owner of the "estate" named Walt by any chance?

Was the owner of the "estate" named Walt by any chance?

Nah.... Mark....

I sold a nice EC at the convention which was stickered at $500.00 for $225.00. Now, this is not my normal practice, but the book was formerly a VF, but somewhere along the way with handling, the staple had popped. The customer pointed this out, but still really liked the book, and we came to a price that he was happy with, and I salvaged what I could out of it.

That`s not really a good example of a dealer giving a discount. That`s more an example of a dealer grading and pricing a book incorrectly and then pricing the book more accurately upon having the defect pointed out to him.

Actually, it is just what I said. The book was priced and graded correctly when I priced it. At some point someone probably looked at the book and the staple popped.

Maybe you should stick to commenting on things which you know something about.

Lighten up, Francis.

Whether the book was graded inaccurately at the time you first graded it, or the defect happened after you had graded it, the point is that it was not the correct grade and price anymore by the time the buyer wanted to buy it.

The point of my post is that your "magnanimous" movement on the price wasn`t because of typical buyer-seller give and take, but because the book wasn`t the same grade you had originally assigned to it. I wasn`t criticizing your grading. :foryou:

Francis? I thought it was Colonel Sanders...lol

I dislike haggling, but participate in it because....well.... because that is the industry (hobby) standard way of doing business. I too, would prefer that someone just ask what their bottom line is and I either buy it or I don't.

But that is not the way this hobby works. Comic books are collectibles. They are not food, soap or fuel. Therefore, they are worth "what you can get for them".

Sometimes a seller needs to raise cash and you get a book cheaper today than you would get the same book from the same seller tomorrow or yesterday. Financial circumstances can change daily, and this applies to buyers also. Most of the time I wouldn't think of paying $800.00 for a Batman 227 8.5. But catch me at the right time and I will.

It is fluctuations of money and mood. Worries about the future and outlooks on the brightness of the future.

It changes like the wind.

Having said all of that. I still feel that books are generally overpriced and over valued. This can't go on IMO. ESPECIALLY for books that are not silver or golden age books. This modern stuff pricing is WAY off base, and the copper prices are too, but maybe "WAY' does not fit them as well.

But....they are collectibles, and collectibles are ONLY worth what you can get for them. No more. But some owners won't sell for what they can get for them. They would rather hold on to certain books because of two reasons. They put to much into them when they obtained them (guessed wrong), or they believe in the age old belief that "there is a fool born every minute", and one will be along any day now.

I have played the fool a few times. But I have never "played" a fool when selling. It just goes against my personal honor and integrity. Afterall, it is only money. It comes and it goes. But my honor and integrity (read: reputation) can't come and go.

Can it?