• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG vs. CGC See The Scans And Decide For Your Self

18 posts in this topic

CGC Grade:

CGCdkr3_9.2.jpg

Crack the slab and send to CGG in the CGC inner well.

CGG Grade:

CGGdkr3_8.5.jpg

Crack the slab and grade it my self. I give it an 8.5, what do you grade it?

dkr3_front.jpg

dkr3_back.jpg

Yes, CGG is incredibly tough on modern grading. I just received an order from them and I was surprised at how low some of my Modern books have been graded. Some 9.0s to 9.4s on books I honestly think CGC would have graded 9.4 to 9.8. Who is right? I don't know and I cannot complain, but it is an observation. I will not be sending CGG my Moderns because of this and for the pure reason that the more than likely higher grade by CGC, along with the clout of CGC will bring in a higher price when I sell the book. On the other hand, CGG is alot closer to CGC on the Bronze and before books. Noting this, and the cheaper and much quicker turnaround times I will continue to send Bronze/Silver to CGG and Modern to CGC. That's how I play it. Your DK #3 to me looks like a 9.0 +/-. -----Sid

Crack the slab and grade it my self. I give it an 8.5, what do you grade it?

I grade it an 8.0. SO... that means I'm a better grader because I'm a stricter grader? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifinsane.gif

No.

Well, I don't think it's as high as a 9.2, but that large a gap is pretty significant. They ARE tough on moderns, no doubt. I was very pleased to actually get some 9.8's back from CGG, but their modern toughness is something to consider.

I think that you and I have pretty much agreed on the grading issue.

The stack of issues I'm looking at today, that I recieved from you

yesterday are pretty much spot-on on the grading. The AS 135 is a little

nicer than your description, but .2 to .4 difference between two collectors

is probably about average. After looking at the scans above, I seriously

wish someone would put together a thread on how they percieve

CGC to downgrade an issue. I cannot actually tell how bad the comic

is, cripes, I'm wearing bi-focals on a 19 inch monitor, but if CGC is grading

this almost 1 total point higher,,,,well, I've got a pile of CGG Wolverine #1

sitting here with 9.6 on them.... maybe time for a submission....

Thanks for the good offerings on the Punisher stuff, already flipped some

of the stuff here at the barn this morning.

I think that you and I have pretty much agreed on the grading issue.

The stack of issues I'm looking at today, that I recieved from you

yesterday are pretty much spot-on on the grading. The AS 135 is a little

nicer than your description, but .2 to .4 difference between two collectors

is probably about average. After looking at the scans above, I seriously

wish someone would put together a thread on how they percieve

CGC to downgrade an issue. I cannot actually tell how bad the comic

is, cripes, I'm wearing bi-focals on a 19 inch monitor, but if CGC is grading

this almost 1 total point higher,,,,well, I've got a pile of CGG Wolverine #1

sitting here with 9.6 on them.... maybe time for a submission....

Thanks for the good offerings on the Punisher stuff, already flipped some

of the stuff here at the barn this morning.

Glad you liked the Punishers. Go ahead and flip away. I'm a flipper too. Everybody is a flipper unless the only thing they sell are new books bought off the stand. I was surprised that those books did not get more attention on Ebay. Maybe because I did not "supersize" the scans. That extra 75 cents (or the picture pack) can add up on inexpensive books. I shoulda sent a few of those mini-series books in to CGC though foreheadslap.gif.

Many people claim CGG is grading stricter on purpose to gain more respect. I don't believe that. The downside is that they will lose Modern submissions (like mine) because of this. Why would they do that on purpose? Their standards are just tighter. Perhaps not on every book, but it seems most Moderns. Also, why would a company gain more respect by grading too harshly anyway? Does not make me respect them more, just makes me think they are tougher graders is all. And that will reflect in who I send my submissions too. ----Sid

Why do you grade it 8.5?

timely

On the front cover there is a reading crease the entire length of the spine. On the back cover there are obvious scuff marks and a spine split on the bottom right corner. I think 9.0 would be a generous grade, but that 8.5 is more realistic.

What were the respective grader's notes on this book? I'm kinda curious to know what information was logged in each instance.

For my CGG "test set" I received an e-mail listing specifics for the books below 9.4 (which was 80% of them). And yes, I was shocked at how strictly they graded moderns.

Larry

Many people claim CGG is grading stricter on purpose to gain more respect. I don't believe that.

hi.gif

The downside is that they will lose Modern submissions (like mine) because of this.

When you have nothing to lose... smirk.gif

Why would they do that on purpose? Their standards are just tighter. Perhaps not on every book, but it seems most Moderns. Also, why would a company gain more respect by grading too harshly anyway? Does not make me respect them more,

just makes me think they are tougher graders is all.

And that will reflect in who I send my submissions too. ----Sid

You are a smart guy Sid...Take another look at your post and you'll see you answered yourself. I've spelled in out in our Marketplace thread (poor Richnerd sorry.gif

(poor Richnerd sorry.gif

flowerred.gifhi.gif

Like I said in the other thread I'm out no money on my test with CGG and CGC, my current auctions might not sell as high as they would in the CGC case but I'm getting some really good books for free from my LCS since they lost the bet. Plus this answered plenty of questions I had about who to go to on grading and what CGG's case the books come back in was like. I know for all my Cap. america collection that is for display on my wall and my Cap room I will send them to CGG as it wont cost as much!

thumbsup2.gifhi.gif

Still stirring the 893censored-thumb.gif