• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Slabbing But Not Grading

9 posts in this topic

so folks,

would there be a market for this? ship your comics to CGC and for $15 - they'll slab it for ya. no grade.

better for the long term than mylars (?)

this service would be preferred for favorites (e.g. signed copies) that don't necessarily grade well - but have great sentimental value.

also better for books that display better than their grade (e.g. restored copies).

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I prefer mylars. The only reason I want a book in a CGC slab is for the grade and resto check.

I feel the same ,& if my book was high grade & I wanted to sell ,other than that Mylars for my Comics!!!

I prefer mylars. The only reason I want a book in a CGC slab is for the grade and resto check.

I feel the same ,& if my book was high grade & I wanted to sell ,other than that Mylars for my Comics!!!

That about sums it up for me. If I was going to slab it and have restoration check I might as well have them grade the comic in my opinion 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What if CGC offered resto check but no grade?

You miss my point. If given a choice between a CGC book and a book in a Mylar, excepting liquidity and price issues, I'd rather have the mylared book. I know CGC cases excite some people, but I'm not one of them. I like Mylars. Mylared books are much easier to store- they're lighter, less bulky; and I don't have to worry about replacing mylars every seven years like I do the CGC case. The only real benefit of the CGC case is the label with the grade.

What if CGC offered resto check but no grade?

You miss my point. If given a choice between a CGC book and a book in a Mylar, excepting liquidity and price issues, I'd rather have the mylared book. I know CGC cases excite some people, but I'm not one of them. I like Mylars. Mylared books are much easier to store- they're lighter, less bulky; and I don't have to worry about replacing mylars every seven years like I do the CGC case. The only real benefit of the CGC case is the label with the grade.

I know, I know, I got your point. I'm just throwing out a tangential thought. What if collectors who don't particularly care for 3rd party grading (which is a lot of them - slabfans are still a small but vocal minority) could still have experts validate restoration or lack thereof? Any value in that? How would that work?