• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do you collect comics ?

70 posts in this topic

10 reasons I love comics

(but haven't collected really since I lost all of them..sorry to say)

1 Green Lantern is cool (well until the movie comes out..sucks and ruins his rep but Mart was awesome)

2 Dc go go checks are awesome

3 all my friends collect comics I feel peer pressure

4 If I didn't collect comics cons would be boring

5 I have been known to flip books but only ones I buy so ridiculously cheap it is unbelievable (like getting a B&B 28 for $10 and selling it for over $500)

6 I appreciate good comic art (pronounced I-hate-rob-leifeld)

7 Comic book people mostly rock, mostly

8 dressing up as comic book characters and not knowing who the character is ..is like wearing a Tshirt of a band you never listened too

9 in a related reason I wear lots of comic book Tshirts and like to know what I am wearing

10 I really love nerds..but not the smelly kind..

10 reasons I love comics

(but haven't collected really since I lost all of them..sorry to say)

1 Green Lantern is cool (well until the movie comes out..sucks and ruins his rep but Mart was awesome)

2 Dc go go checks are awesome

3 all my friends collect comics I feel peer pressure

4 If I didn't collect comics cons would be boring

5 I have been known to flip books but only ones I buy so ridiculously cheap it is unbelievable (like getting a B&B 28 for $10 and selling it for over $500)

6 I appreciate good comic art (pronounced I-hate-rob-leifeld)

7 Comic book people mostly rock, mostly

8 dressing up as comic book characters and not knowing who the character is ..is like wearing a Tshirt of a band you never listened too

9 in a related reason I wear lots of comic book Tshirts and like to know what I am wearing

10 I really love nerds..but not the smelly kind..

The extremely rare quad post!

Edit* Wait... maybe it's my browser, now there are only 2.

Sometimes when you get older, the drive of life becomes more and more intense. You become more and more concerned with the "now" and become disconnected from your past.

Comic books are links to a simpler time.

+1

When I was a kid, I LOVED reading comic books!

I LOVED going to the supermarket with my dad when he was buying smokes and would buy me a book!

I LOVED going to my LCS and staring at all the books I dreamed of having but couldn't afford on $2 a week allowance!

I LOVED looking thru the official handbook of the marvel universe and dreaming of owning the 1st appearance of my favorite hero/villains!

Collecting now reminds me of those times and being a kid without a care in the world! Collecting/reading/staring at my books might be the only thing in my life that has ZERO stress and relaxes me (thumbs u

when I get serious, when I finally understand the ins and outs of this business, I'd like to stop maxing out my 401k and start pouring all that money into silver age marvel comics.

The idea being that when I retire, rather than dying slowly collecting my money, I can make an occupation of selling my comics and that should keep me occupied and keep me from dying of boredom in my old age.

I still love to read them. I don't collect many new issues, but there's tons of back issues to buy and read and I'm always getting turned on to something "new". I buy mostly HG because I really think it's neat to hold and read a book that's over 30 years old, but looks like it just came off the rack :cloud9:

To talk to the sweaty lotharios on these boards.

I am not sweaty..nor a lothario

You're more of a sweety Im thinkin :hi:

I've been struggling with CGC comics. Excited when I buy them but when the package arrives and I rip it open I have a 'is that it' feeling. As much as I appreciate the professional grading and restoration check, comics in slabs seem to have no soul.

I also struggle with Modern comics. Many of the characters have changed and modern art seems colder to me. They also don't connect me to the past which is the primary reason I collect comics.

I still love comics. Walking Dead and Captain America are great books and worthy moderns. For back issues I've started picking up well written books rather than focusing on shiny high grade covers.

To talk to the sweaty lotharios on these boards.

I am not sweaty..nor a lothario

You're more of a sweety Im thinkin :hi:

You are a gentleman wordsmith.

And Cheri, never would I call such an upstanding woman sweaty!

Recently I've lost interest in slabbed comics. I now see them strictly as a commodity. I began to wonder why I collect comics. I no longer find most stories interesting. I stopped collecting moderns almost a year ago now because I wasn't even reading them. Just buying them and leaving them in the bags from the store and putting them in a closet.

I still love the artwork and love seeing the original comics but is it really necessary to own them all. I often find that after selling a comic I don't really miss it at all. When I own it I think I will miss it but than after selling I think "whats to miss?" "its a ing comic book"

Do you miss your comics after selling them ?

What drives you to collect ? Are you a hoarder ? hobbyist ? flipper ? investor ? or some other label I can't think of.

:popcorn:

You're 99% of the way to no longer being a comic collector. Those were my exact thoughts when I stopped 8 years ago. If they don't interest you, move on. (thumbs u Collect something else or do something else with the time and money. You can still talk about 'em - I've been on this board nearly a decade despite really not collecting anymore the entire time.

Sometimes when you get older, the drive of life becomes more and more intense. You become more and more concerned with the "now" and become disconnected from your past.

Comic books are links to a simpler time.

+1

When I was a kid, I LOVED reading comic books!

I LOVED going to the supermarket with my dad when he was buying smokes and would buy me a book!

I LOVED going to my LCS and staring at all the books I dreamed of having but couldn't afford on $2 a week allowance!

I LOVED looking thru the official handbook of the marvel universe and dreaming of owning the 1st appearance of my favorite hero/villains!

Collecting now reminds me of those times and being a kid without a care in the world! Collecting/reading/staring at my books might be the only thing in my life that has ZERO stress and relaxes me (thumbs u

What a great post! (thumbs u

Also, pretty much everything Cimm said I could repeat - but won't. The art, the search for books...

But here is something else for me...

... When I was about 13, I first was presented with an Overstreet guide. I learned that Action #1 and books like it were worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars. I was astounded by the concept that key books were worth so much money. My family was not well-off and I could hardly imagine ever having the wealth to afford spending hundreds of dollars on a rare comic book. I imagined that a person who could do such a thing would have to be some kind of millionaire. So, high-end collectors, became in my mind, the epitome of wealth and success. (you can stop laughing now, I was young.)

I've never really shaken the association of success and the ability to own the rarest and most valuable key comic books. So, now that I've had some success in my career, I own some fairly nice books and it brings me joy to be able own them. It's my reward to myself. If my fortune were say, $50 million, you would see me own a book with a man holding a car over his head.

I caught the comic collecting bug from my dad very early, first with Batman and then with Archie.

I don't really know why it appeals to me so much, either. Collecting comics comes as naturally as breathing almost.