• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT So what's the point of derailing a thread?

98 posts in this topic

It's not usually funny.

But it seems contagious.

Is it a response to being faced with information or opinion that is uncomfortable to think about?

Perhaps information so uncomfortable that we don't want others to think about it either?

I am not sure we do ourselves any favours when we censor ourselves and others by derailing complex topics.

Funny books is a great hobby with a myriad of intellectual links to aesthetics, morality and ethics, social issues, economics and business, and politics.

We respect our CGC host's polite requests to avoid politics and intemperate insults or threats. We should. We are all pretty thankful this forum of expression ...

-- but I am wondering if thread derailing is an unfortunate form of self-moderation that is akin to ridicule and intimidation.

True.

There are lots of people that will think over ideas without necessarily posting a reply.

In the case of this thread, the number of views may turn out to be more significant than the level of debate.

Yeah - I was wondering if for some reason divad wanted that thread gone, so started in on the personal attacks. :shrug:

I also find this disconcerting.

Unfortunately the more often a thread is derailed, the more likely it is to go *poof* along with all the good information in it.

Really

It seems that using the word "REALLY" winds up accomplishing the same thing.

Yeah - I was wondering if for some reason divad wanted that thread gone, so started in on the personal attacks. :shrug:

How come we never hear about personal defences ?? I mean c'mon ..... lets join the real world ! Lets play some dodge ball ! If somebody says something against you.....man up and defend yourself . Having a mod do it is so liberal :devil:

Thanks.

There are lots of people that will think over ideas without necessarily posting a reply.

The number of views is probably more important than any debate (or lack of debate). (thumbs u

I see no problem in debatable viewpoints and do feel that the mod gods shut down threads too quickly at times,but do see their viewpoint as well.I mean why would they want to mess around with all of us bozos on their time off,or have to monitor us every second.I'm sure that gets old real fast.Derailing sometimes adds a little levity into a tense situation,maybe it's our own defense mechanism keeping us from having to deal with the problem?Thoughts. hm

... maybe it's our own defense mechanism keeping us from having to deal with the problem?Thoughts. hm

This is a good point. It could be an instinctive response and not a thought out decision to end a discussion for others.

... maybe it's our own defense mechanism keeping us from having to deal with the problem?Thoughts. hm

This is a good point. It could be an instinctive response and not a thought out decision to end a discussion for others.

We have a message board that is different from other messageboards,most of us have met each other and broken bread and hung out,gone to Cons together.Maybe we subconsciously want to protect other board members. hm

The whole episode makes me think twice about investing any time into what seems like a credible discussion or a solid debate. it's not worth the energy in the end if it just gets flushed down the toilet. You can't prevent anyone from sabotaging a thread, Who cares? It comes with the territory. It's far worse to censor a forum over a few hissy fits.

I can understand a lock if things are out of control, but to remove it makes no sense. The real point of the argument is then hidden to due to the douchbaggery of Divad.

At least I know what he is about now.

Well.... there is The Water Cooler, where things seem to be a bit more relaxed and a real conversation can take place