• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT So what's the point of derailing a thread?

98 posts in this topic

The whole episode makes me think twice about investing any time into what seems like a credible discussion or a solid debate. it's not worth the energy in the end if it just gets flushed down the toilet. You can't prevent anyone from sabotaging a thread, Who cares? It comes with the territory. It's far worse to censor a forum over a few hissy fits.

The thread may be gone but many of us read it and took notice. The thread

performed a valuable service to the community and alerted me to the practice

of removing restoration for profit and the opinions of certain board members.

Did anybody save that thread?If so I would like to read it

I think it's normally fairly apparent to see the difference between derailments that are caused by some posters being less serious about the topic at hand and derailments that are caused by posters who are deliberately trying to change the subject because they don't want the discussion to continue.

The latter is usually quite blatant.

Also...what you consider rudeness is not viewed the same by others, especially in "new media" such as internet message boards. No one needs an invitation to join any thread, for any reason, or none at all. Everyone here has the same rights and priveleges as every other member in good standing. So, what you view as rude, others view as simply taking part.

Thoughtful points. (thumbs u

But I sense the construction of strawmen in the small excerpt quoted above. :shy: I don't see anyone arguing for the need for invitations to participate nor do I see anyone seeking to abbreviate anyone's rights or privileges. If I am correct in concluding that you see "new media" as a democratizing force, in that access is open to anyone, anywhere, with an Internet connection, I would agree. But, if again, I might play the part of Devil's advocate --- if what we sometimes witness in Comics General is simply a factor of the "new media", why is conversation so different, for example, in Comics Gold? Surely the same factors are in play? As you can see, I don't subscribe fully to the idea that the medium is the message. I believe that the participants make a defining difference.

. There are certainly people here that should have their freakin fingers broken so they can't post anymore. lol

hm

One thing: EVERYONE has an agenda...some are just a lot less nefarious than others... ;)

My agenda is to eliminate ALL posts using the word "nefarious" Beware !! :sumo:

This is a reasonable topic for discussion.

Derailing threads can serve a useful purpose. One such purpose is to lighten up conversation, especially if it doesn't permanently sidetrack the thread.

OTOH, if the thread moves from an enlightening discussion of business ethics to one of personal animus or libelous insinuations targeting one individual, then derailing tactics can help put the breaks on a train wreck.

I would suggest that attacking someone's personal life has no place on a comic discussion board and anyone who chooses to use such tactics are in fact completely responsible for closure and removal of threads. Just my 2c

Yep, no matter what animosity there is between board members, making comments that involve family members is a very low place to go. The board member who did that in the deleted thread should have been given a strike IMHO.

Yes. Well said, David and Garry.

Also...what you consider rudeness is not viewed the same by others, especially in "new media" such as internet message boards. No one needs an invitation to join any thread, for any reason, or none at all. Everyone here has the same rights and priveleges as every other member in good standing. So, what you view as rude, others view as simply taking part.

Thoughtful points. (thumbs u

But I sense the construction of strawmen in the small excerpt quoted above. :shy: I don't see anyone arguing for the need for invitations to participate nor do I see anyone seeking to abbreviate anyone's rights or privileges.

Nor am I suggesting you are. But you characterized such behavior as "rudeness", and isn't it implied with such a characterization that said behavior should be ended, or at least curtailed, if only by the ones perpetrating said "rudeness"? In other words, those who you feel are being rude should, in order to not be rude, not make posts others would or might consider "derailing"...?

My point is simply this: far from being rude, I am suggesting that these folks are simply doing what they have the freedom to do, and aren't being rude by generally accepted standards for doing so.

If I am correct in concluding that you see "new media" as a democratizing force, in that access is open to anyone, anywhere, with an Internet connection, I would agree. But, if again, I might play the part of Devil's advocate --- if what we sometimes witness in Comics General is simply a factor of the "new media", why is conversation so different, for example, in Comics Gold? Surely the same factors are in play? As you can see, I don't subscribe fully to the idea that the medium is the message. I believe that the participants make a defining difference.

There are a number of reasons why the atmosphere is different in Gold, many of which have to do with age and maturity levels, many of which have to do with subject matter, but Gold is not immune to derailments, either. There's a whole thread dedicated to derailing....it's called "Ask Gator"... ;)

If it makes a difference, the atmosphere in Silver, Bronze, Copper, and to a lesser extent, Modern, is the same as in Gold. Topics generally remain very much on-topic, precisely because they are in genre specific categories.

. There are certainly people here that should have their freakin fingers broken so they can't post anymore. lol

hm

One thing: EVERYONE has an agenda...some are just a lot less nefarious than others... ;)

My agenda is to eliminate ALL posts using the word "nefarious" Beware !! :sumo:

:eek:

What I want to know is if the British are coming?

Did I dream it up, or was there talk last night about some sort of secret UK tangent that gathers together, drinks beer and plots havoc against evil comic doers?

Nah, that sounds absolutely silly, I musta been loopy.

Apparently they gather in dimly lit pubs and snugs and drink warm beer and plan how they will be mean to the U.S. collectors.

Dan

That is completely incorrect. :o

We drink cold beer. :makepoint:

I just look at the photos.

34079_120671801310665_100001035360831_130192_1898283_n.jpg

(thumbs u That looks like a wee bit more than a pint!

What I want to know is if the British are coming?

Did I dream it up, or was there talk last night about some sort of secret UK tangent that gathers together, drinks beer and plots havoc against evil comic doers?

Nah, that sounds absolutely silly, I musta been loopy.

Apparently they gather in dimly lit pubs and snugs and drink warm beer and plan how they will be mean to the U.S. collectors.

Dan

That is completely incorrect. :o

We drink cold beer. :makepoint:

I just look at the photos.

34079_120671801310665_100001035360831_130192_1898283_n.jpg

(thumbs u That looks like a wee bit more than a pint!

Looks like a pint to me..... and a dark one at that :applause:

Thanks for the support guys (I may need it to get home, ...hic!). :insane:

Yes, each measured a full British pint; every last drop! The pub was one of many where we stopped to imbibe while my wife and I toured the UK last year. Either the pub name or the brewery label is on the glass. I should've taken notes, but was preoccupied. I'm rather fond of darker brews (stouts and porters, especially).

Here's another from a pub in Glasgow...

36126_120677997976712_100001035360831_130214_3606244_n.jpg

Have you ever tried Hop'nsteins Monster ??

No, but I tried Frankenstein's sister.

:roflmao:

I hope thats not a "wife" joke Dave....

If it is..... mums the word :grin: