• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Hill and Me!

38 posts in this topic

I recently saw Joe Hill at the Strongsville branch of the Cuyahoga County library. The room was FULL of his fans, young and old.

Joe was in Ohio to promote his novel "HORNS" and this was his last stop on the mini-tour. He entered the room wearing a pair of red illuminated devil horns. No pictures were permitted during his presentation so unfortunately, I did not get a picture of them. At the question and answer session at the end of his reading, those who asked him a question had to wear the horns while they were in front of the room.

Joe read his short story in the back of Horns entitled "The Devil on the Staircase". This story is NOT in the hardcover copy of Horns. It has an interesting presentation in that the words are written as if they were staircases on the pages (not for the entire story though).

DevilontheStaircase-1.jpg

I found out that not only is Locke & Key going to the screen (TV) but Horns is on the drawing board to be made into a movie. Evidently actor Shia LeBeouf has been chosen to play "Ig" - the main character and Joe confirmed that fact. He also confirmed that he listened to KISS during most of his writing of Horns.

He has another novel in the works which is in the 2nd draft. He would not give any details to the crowd on that one.

Joe commented on Locke & Key and said that it is a great cast and they've filmed the pilot. He commented that it's tough to get a TV show to go and that there will be approximately 60 pilots this year and only 12 will make it. He was fairly certain that Locke & Key would be one of them.

Two pics of the crowd:

Crowd2.jpg

Crowd1.jpg

Joe did take the opportunity to plug the local libraries and the reason that he chose a library as one of his reading/signing venues is because his Dad educated himself in libraries and stated that when people think they are doing a service to the community by cutting funding to places like this, they're selling you a line.

Some people brought VERY STRANGE things for Joe to sign:

Skeleton.jpg

AND this pic is my favorite OF COURSE!!! Joe is TALL but I'm only five foot nothing. He had to stoop way down so both of us appeared in the picture! lol

I'll treasure this forever!!! It was an awesome evening!

Joeandme.jpg

awesome stuff enjoyed the pics :) getting the keys signed is indeed a cool idea as well haha! That is funny you got the cgc cases signed I thought I was the only one that ever did that :D

awesome stuff enjoyed the pics :) getting the keys signed is indeed a cool idea as well haha! That is funny you got the cgc cases signed I thought I was the only one that ever did that :D

No CGC witness in sight so signing the slab was the next best thing... besides, Joe personalized them to me - I have pics of him signing them - and these actually now mean more to me than an SS ever could! :)

Yep I have the same with Neil Gaiman. Pictures and the chance of meeting the author while getting a personalized autograph is way better.

Nice pictures btw and thanks for sharing. :)

Very cool! :applause:

I am looking forward to the day when I get a chance to meet Joe Hill.

I recently procured a first printing of Joe Hill's first published work, the chapbook "Better than Home."

I will certainly be getting that puppy signed someday...

I also like getting creators to sign on the outside of slabs!

The keys are created and sold through Skelton Crew Studio. Go here:

The Keys

There are five available to date. The SDCC Ghost key was the first and available only at the 2009 Con. As you can see from the link, the Head key is sold out too. The Legacy edition of the Ghost Key and the Echo key are still available, with the Shadow key coming out soon! It appears that the Anywhere key will be available for sale again too (?)...

I recently procured a first printing of Joe Hill's first published work, the chapbook "Better than Home."

It never occurred to me to get a signature on the outside of a slab. Silly question, but do you provide your own pen/marker for this? I'm thinking you would need something special to stick to the plastic shell.

It never occurred to me to get a signature on the outside of a slab. Silly question, but do you provide your own pen/marker for this? I'm thinking you would need something special to stick to the plastic shell.

Joe was well prepared with a black and silver Sharpie, but I brought a silver Sharpie just in case (with the dark cover, the black Sharpie writing would have disappeared!). :)

Joe was well prepared with a black and silver Sharpie, but I brought a silver Sharpie just in case (with the dark cover, the black Sharpie writing would have disappeared!). :)

Cool. I wonder how long it will be before people start demanding larger SS slabs for their autographed blue label slabs? :grin: