• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MegaCon 2011

78 posts in this topic

hello all...

Unfortunately for me, our Mega con started out really bad, but finished strong...

First, I had to drive to and back from Atlanta GA the Tuesday before leaving for Orlando...14 hours on the road, in a vehicle where the cruise control was not functioning, really did a number on my knee (blew up like a grapefruit and felt like it had been hit with a baseball bat)...

so needless to say, I was "excited" about having to drive 7 more hours the next day in a rental van that I knew had no Cruise... but, figured crying wasn't going to change the situation, so I loaded the van wednesday morning, and off we went...

outside of a little pain (I popped about 20 advils along the way), was a very smooth and nice drive across Fl to Orlando...

woke up thursday morning about 7 am, drove to the convention center and arrived at 9:30 am, knowing load in was not officially until 2pm, but also knowing the last 3 years they had started letting us in at noon...so, we lined up (#5) and did a little pricing in the van...so was a productive 2 1/2 hours...why only 2 1/2 hours? Because sure enough, we got to load in...and, we got to load in at the top of our ramp, and I was thinking, "wow, how great is this"... and that was where the "greatness ' ended...

less than an hour to unload, and I went to park the van...it was about 1pm now... I get back to the booth and Bob says, "we have a big problem"... and I was like probably no big deal, everything has been so smooth till now, I'll just roll with it.... that is when he hit me with the fact that I had left 50% of our gridwall components...and anyone that knows our booth, knows we set up a lot of nice cgc material on these gridwall racks... let me tell you, I was a PO'd as I have been in the last 10 year...actually cursed, and cursed outloud!!!!... tried to stay composed, but I was so PO'd, that it was difficult at best (heck, I even hung up on my bud billy parker, who just called to say hi...sorry again, billy!)

so, after I pitched a fit, and stormed around the con thinking what a dumbarse I was, I googled fixtured places, found one in orlando, called them to see if they had what I needed, only to have to leave a voice mail...ugh!!!... I called my wife Bridget to help me try to calm down (she often times has that affect on me), whom bless her heart, actually offered to load the pieces up and drive 14 hours round trip to drop them off to me...well, I wasn't going to make her do that, so I just jumped in the van, programmed the address to the fixture place, and road raged my way there....all along not knowing if they even had what I needed...

to be continued next post...

so, after about an hour on the road, I arrive in the parking lot of the fixture place, only to finally receive a call back from my voice mail...and for them to tell me the DON"T sell the type fixturing I need.... ARGH!...I blew up again (in the van, by myself, but I am sure I could be heard all the way to Miami!)... so, I tried best I could to calm down, walked inside, and found something to rig the rack together...

after about an hour to get checked out, and loaded, they inform me they are out of cable ties (an item I would need to secure these incorrect racks to mine)... however, the Lowes 20 minutes up the road (in the opposite direction of the con, of course) would have some...so, 40 minutes later I check out with the ties I need, get in the van, and battle orlando downtown traffic back to the con...

I get back in about 3:30 pm, try to call bob to bring me the large cart so I don't have to carry in these 70 pound racks, and all I get is voice mail...so, stubborn as a mule and more po'd now, I manage to gets these 5 racks into the hall (drained as all get out)...

another hour later, we finally get the wall up, and sturdy enough to get the job done...

so, I calm down a wee bit, finish work, and finally, about 9pm, leave the hall to drive back to Dundee (we stay with my father in law), to get some sleep and start all over tomorrow (thursday)..

well, side bar to the story, my wife and I had made an offer on our dream house, that was finally available on the market, after many a years of "wishing" we could own it...and low and behold, the bank accepts another offer over ours, because of how I chose to finance...talk about taking the wind out of our sails, on a still day already!!!!... breaking the news to my wife was one of the worst things I ever had to do..........

actual con stuff, forthcoming

I tried to help.

:(

indeed you did Roy, and if I didn't tell you then how much I appreciated your offer of, and willingness of assistance, let me tell you now that I did...but, I think you saw the mood I was in, and I just wasn't letting anyone help me (thumbs u

so, Friday morn, we load up the cgc books from my father in laws, grab some donuts and head to the con...

smooth unload, get to the booth, and get to work...

not 15 minutes after I put up our "wall", does a surely looking gentleman with a horrible disposition (but a fondness for twizzlers, just like me), meander in and grab my tec 28 cgc 5.5 off the wall and say "I'll take this"... geeesh, talk about nerve (just kidding of course...the sale was pre arranaged and the buyer is one of the best guys in the hobby!!!!)...

then we get the normal traffic of dealer activity checking out what we have (will post some pictures later), and we strike a few deals for a few books...so, thursday is off and running nicely!...

con opens to the public and we are ready....but didn't sell another wall book the entire day!!!! sold about 5 long boxes of $1 and 2 for $1 books, but nothing outside of tire kickers...

left friday thinking, "wow, this sux"...but, saturday was next, and so new opportunities...

so, after getting in from Dinner Friday night at Vito's (my steak was good, as was bob's, but not the best experience we have had there) ...we were joined there by mark haspel, george (jiveturkeymo), doug S, John Verzyl and little John, Roy and Lou, we hit the hay, and wwake up Saturday, hoping for a better turn out sales wise...

and I am happy to say, we were not disspointed...sold quite a few books Saturday from the wall... a superman 1 (and tentatively a 2nd copy of superman 1), a few silver surfer comics (cgc 9.6's), a MMC 46, a Superman 11, a superman 14, a batman 47 , a couple of Daredevil 1's, and others here and there....so, Saturday's sales turnaround, insured a successful show for us...

went home Saturday knowing my Gators had lost to Bulter, but knew that next up was Sunday and then home to my family...

Get up Sunday, grabbed more donuts, drove into orlando, and started the day a bit slow...sold a few more boxes worth of $1 books, and an array of toys and $5-$20 type silver age comics, and then ended the day with a few nice sales (and action 10, and action 15, an All american 61, a Detective 30 crippin copy, etc)....

so, overall, I managed to sell about 50% of the $1 books I brought, and 6 figures+ of wall books....so, I would strike the show as a success, and we will be back next year... but much better prepared this time!!!!!

loaded out by 6:30, got home around 1am, and the rest, as they say, is history

so, after getting in from Dinner Friday night at Vito's (my steak was good, as was bob's, but not the best experience we have had there) ...we were joined there by mark haspel, george (jiveturkeymo), doug S, John Verzyl and little John, Roy and Lou, we hit the hay, and wwake up Saturday, hoping for a better turn out sales wise...

The food was terrific at Vito's finally...after they got all the orders right.

lol

Wonderful MegaCon report Rick :golfclap: It is lacking some pix though :P Sorry to hear about your troubles getting there and forgetting the racks, but at least you managed to figure out a way to put them together. The sales definitely made up for all the driving and hard work you did.

Rick, sorry to hear about things starting off so badly. You raging on a showroom floor? Just cannot see - maybe I don;t know you that well after all lol Sounds like the rest of the weekend was a hit though.

For your next trip on the road, might I suggest...

soothing%20moments%20cover.jpg

well, side bar to the story, my wife and I had made an offer on our dream house, that was finally available on the market, after many a years of "wishing" we could own it...and low and behold, the bank accepts another offer over ours, because of how I chose to finance...talk about taking the wind out of our sails, on a still day already!!!!... breaking the news to my wife was one of the worst things I ever had to do..........

REALLY sad and sorry to hear this... :foryou: