• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Megacon 2011 - The Flee-Marquette video con report

97 posts in this topic

Well Megacon has come and gone and thanks to Dale Roberts (worship) , I had

an exhibitor badge and was there for all 4 days. I shot a ton of footage

and I don't think I can edit it all down into a single con video and post

it to Youtube, so I will probably split this into several segments. If I have

time in the future I may edit it all into a 30 minute program.

While I am uploading videos I will write a little bit about the show.

Here is a sneak preview before the main features. Wonder Girl!

I arrived Thursday about 2:00 and found Dale Roberts, Doc Watson and Joeypost

on the loading docks, unloading the van. I secured my badge and went inside to

look around. The warm Florida weather was billowing into the convention center

and everyone was sweating. In no time, I spotted Roy, MCMiles, jive, gcstomp

Tupenny, Brent(QualityComix), and after his whirlwind tour of the Orlando area

looking for stuff he left at home, Gator showed up. Gator and his friend Bob were

having a heck of a time improvising their display stands, but it worked out well.

After everyone loaded in and I ran around shooting some video of the proceedings,

we headed out to Maggiano's to eat. Doc, Tupenny, Dale, Mike, Joey, Jive and myself

enjoyed great Italian food and comic book talk. Mike and Doc headed out to pick up

Timmay from the airport and Jive graciously gave me a ride back to the convention

center.

Friday is the day to come to Megacon for comic book collectors. True, there were a lot

of costumed folks running around, but the aisles were navigable and you didn't feel

that crowded. I got there early before the show started because I wanted to pick up the latest

Studio Ghibli anime video "Tales from Earthsea" for the wife. Doug (Pedigree Comics) and

Brent (QualityComix) were there early picking stuff up for their auctions. Most of the action

seemed to center around the booths of Dale, Gator, Harley, Jamie Graham, Al Stoltz and Tom

Raupp (Bigtime Florida Dealer). I browsed all the dealers booths quickly and then ran over to

the Artist's Alley to say hi to Christian Slade (Darth Corgi) before positioning myself near the

front door. I filmed the excitement of the first few minutes of everyone pouring into the

convention hall. :ohnoez: You can tell who is there for artists sketches because they immediately take

off running to get in line. KingofRulers (promoter/pizza-delivery) showed up to sell others on

the growing Tampa Bay Comic Con.

There were definitely some great wall books to look at. However, in a conversation with Roy,

he was lamenting that he had seen most of the inventory of the national dealers at the

Chicago show. Roy, I hope there was some nice local stuff for you to go through or that you

were able to find something to make your trip worthwhile.

BradleyX2 from CGC was right across Dale's booth and it was nice to visit with him. We should

start a grassroots campaign to make him interim president of CGC. :) Mark Haspel was walking

around the show and looked like he was enjoying himself in his new capacity of being just a

comic book fan.

Saturday, I was getting ready to head to the show and told the wife that I hoped I could at least

get a glimpse of Stan Lee. She was going to skip the show this year, but when she found out about

Stan the Man she said "You didn't tell me Stan Lee was going to be there!"

I think she set a record for getting ready. I quickly grabbed an ASM 21 and she grabbed a

t-shirt and a Spider-Man birdhouse (don't ask) to have signed.

We arrived to long traffic jams and full parking lots, but I managed to convince a gate attendee to let me in and get into a spot

that had freed up. We quickly paid for her admission and ran over to the Stan Lee ticket counter

and were told that he was sold out for the day and that they managed to squeeze a few more

in, but he was done for the day. I inquired about Sunday and they said he was sold out for

Sunday too, but if we came here early, there was a possibility of getting in if someone didn't

show up. Needless to say she was disappointed, but went into the show anyway to look around a bit.

Saturdays at Megacon is just totally insane. You cannot move, you cannot breathe, you just

hope the crowd flow takes you somewhere interesting. I knew taking video would be tough,

so I debuted the Flying-Flee-Cam. I have a small Flip-like video camera (Actually a Kodak 1080p Zi8)

mounted onto a pistol grip base that is mounted on a monopod. I can stretch this out to where

the camera is up to 12 feet in the air. I have a fisheye lens installed on it so I can just stick the

camera up in the air and point in the general direction of a subject and stand a pretty good

chance of capturing a good shot. Here is Stan Lee hanging out at a booth. For 88 years old

he is still has a sharp mind. :applause:

I love when they raffle off the autographed Iron Man helmet, he shakes the guys

hand and says "Now you are stuck with it!" :grin:

There were definitely some great wall books to look at. However, in a conversation with Roy,

he was lamenting that he had seen most of the inventory of the national dealers at the

Chicago show. Roy, I hope there was some nice local stuff for you to go through or that you

were able to find something to make your trip worthwhile.

Thanks, Jim.

A little bit of elbow grease and effort turned up a small batch of books that'll make the trip worthwhile. I picked up a few cool books at the show including a Marvel key, some SA ASM books that should grade out really nicely and some nice bronze stuff.

(thumbs u

Saturdays at Megacon is just totally insane. You cannot move, you cannot breathe, you just

hope the crowd flow takes you somewhere interesting. I knew taking video would be tough,

so I debuted the Flying-Flee-Cam. I have a small Flip-like video camera (Actually a Kodak 1080p Zi8)

mounted onto a pistol grip base that is mounted on a monopod. I can stretch this out to where

the camera is up to 12 feet in the air. I have a fisheye lens installed on it so I can just stick the

camera up in the air and point in the general direction of a subject and stand a pretty good

chance of capturing a good shot. Here is Stan Lee hanging out at a booth. For 88 years old

he is still has a sharp mind. :applause:

Stan Lee rules! (worship)(worship) (worship) (worship)

Sunday, I convinced the wife to go with me again to at least try to get into a Stan Lee autograph

session. When we arrived there, we were once again told that he was sold out, but if she

wanted to wait in the "hope-to-get-in" line, there may be a chance. So at 9:30 she gets into

line (3rd position) and waits. The first session is at 10:30 and all the ticket holders are cycled

through and at 12:30, the lady comes out and says "I have some bad news, he has to be

somewhere else and can't do anymore now, but if you want to wait and try for the 2:30

session, there is still a possibility of getting in. :pullhair: She had already been standing for 3 hours

and did not want to give up her place in line, so I held her place in line while she rested

for a few minutes. Thankfully one of the workers decided to give numbers to the people

in line to where they could come back in an hour or so and keep their spot.

She pulled it off really well!

...that usually runs about 60 bucks up in these parts

The video didn't do her justice. She was at least 3 times better than the average...er...it was just a really good costume.

So she gets back in line at 1:30 and stands there until 2:30 at which time the ticket holders for the

afternoon autograph session are paraded through. At about 4:00 a guy comes out

and counts the people waiting for a chance to get in and goes back inside the signing

room. After a brief discussion with the other workers, he says we will take 10 of you.

I was so glad she got in! :banana: She got the ASM 21 signed and took a couple of pictures. Outside

the room she gets into the CGC SS line and decides to have it slabbed. (Her first CGC book) :)

They actually managed to get everyone else through that was waiting in line (about 40 more).

So now she has a Stan Lee story to tell everyone.

Stan-Lee-signing.jpg

When she came out of the room, her eyes were red and I thought she was in

pain because her knees were locking up while standing in line and I kept asking

her are you okay? She told me to hush up before she started crying. She had

been through so much to get the autograph that she was just happy to finally

meet him. :cloud9:

As I was waiting for her, I must have heard a hundred times as young attendees

walked by and looked at the line, "Who is Stanley?"

I wanted to go back inside the con and say goodbye to everyone, but we were tired and starving, so

we headed out to Whole Foods to get some real food. As I sat down to eat I noticed the

the gentleman sitting next to me is Phillip Michael Thomas the actor who played Tubbs on

Miami Vice.

Philip_Michael_Thomas-2.jpg

So I covertly used my camera phone and shot some video of him while we were

eating. I acted like I was talking on the phone as I pointed it in his direction.

I was so proud of my undercover technique, but when I left the dining

area to view the video, I discovered that my long hair was hanging over the lens and blocked

the view. Drats! :cry: So I quickly buy some dessert and go back in there and sit down again for

another try. Yeah, I'm sure that didn't look suspicious. :P The second time

proved more fruitful. lol

As I sat down to eat I noticed the

the gentleman sitting next to me is Phillip Michael Thomas the actor who played Tubbs on

So I covertly used my camera phone and shot some video of him while we were

eating. I acted like I was talking on the phone as I pointed it in his direction.

I was so proud of my undercover technique, but when I left the dining

area to view the video, I discovered that my long hair was hanging over the lens and blocked

the view. Drats! :cry: So I quickly buy some dessert and go back in there and sit down again for

another try. Yeah, I'm sure that didn't look suspicious. :P The second time proved more fruitful. lol

You are bananas. lol