• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alex Ross- monetary value question

12 posts in this topic

So, I can get a framed Alex Ross canvas giclee of "Where Justice Resides" for about $350. I am a JLA collector, but I don't do much OA and I am wondering if this might be something I could flip for a profit in the near future if the thrill of owning it palls.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

TAC said that it was a canvas giclee (or high quality print) not original art otherwise the price would have been somewhat higher :)

When it comes to canvas giclee or any other repreduction it must be important to ccheck if there is a limited edition and a real signature, that must decide the price alot I guess even when it comes to this area?

For most comic book and pop artists it seems that giclees and s/n lithograph prints have less prestige (as opposed to the fine art world) for both displaying and for investment value, compared to original art.

Original art circles back to the fact that it's "one of a kind"

Giclees or any reproductions, no matter how limited, is still not the original, and the fact is that, at any given point, a new series can be reproduced into another "limited signed and numbered edition" (using a gold pen to sign, printing on a different medium or size, etc.) in the future.

As for Alex Ross art, go to: www.alexrossart.com and you can buy artwork or anything direct from the artist, and if you attend conventions like San Diego Comic Con (www.comic-con.org) you can visit Alex Ross' exhibit/merchandise booth to actually see the pieces and pick them up in person (and who knows, maybe even negotiate on the price). I think his artwork has proven to be solid investments and the value and demand for his art has sustained hobby longevity, so he's no flash-in-the-pan artist and I think his popularity is both stable and sizable.

Alex's art a sound investment?

Probably not.

Prices have skyrocketed on the new art, putting it out of reach, except for the diehard, wealthy fan, if they wanted it at all.

That and the fact that many older pieces are coming back onto the market at ridiculously high prices, and not selling.

One should NEVER buy art as an investment. You buy it cause you like it.

MI

TAC said that it was a canvas giclee (or high quality print) not original art otherwise the price would have been somewhat higher :)

Giclee is basically a fancy name for inkjet. Quality depends on the printer, but there's nothing special or inherently prestigious about the medium, in spite of what certain art galleries would have you believe.

A quick search of ebay shows a lot of Alex Ross prints being offered in the $300-$1000 range, but NOTHING is selling. There are a few 'galleries' online trying to push this for $1250 or so, but again, they can ask whatever they want - it's sales that count.

Basically, buy it if you love it, but the fact that you're already thinking about what it'll flip for tells me that you should probably avoid.

Thanks all! I think I've mostly convinced myself to make a try for this (if the price is right) because I really want to see how this looks on my wall. It sounds like the value won't degrade overwhelmingly with time in any case, so I won't take a bath if I need to sell.

I was more afraid of hanging a bunch of Lobo one-shots on my wall than wanting to make a lot of money real quick anyway.

Thanks all! I think I've mostly convinced myself to make a try for this (if the price is right) because I really want to see how this looks on my wall. It sounds like the value won't degrade overwhelmingly with time in any case, so I won't take a bath if I need to sell.

I was more afraid of hanging a bunch of Lobo one-shots on my wall than wanting to make a lot of money real quick anyway.

From what I'm reading, the other posters are telling you NOT to buy this if the investment is important to you. You should buy it if you love the piece and walk away if you can't afford a loss.

From what I've seen, resold glicees go for about 50% of the original price...and less.