• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What feedback to leave...

41 posts in this topic

So, I get a book in the mail yesterday from an Ebay auction I won, advertised as a VF/NM. The book comes and it is gorgeous. I flip it open and, wouldnt you know it, color touch from a black marker bled through all up and down the spine. I write the seller and he offers a $10 refund. I see in his feedback that he has sold many comics before, many genres and many different ages. So, I explain to him without being too sarcastic that the value of the book has been reduced not just a little bit, but a lot. It is now considered restored.

Well, with the amount I told him the book was now worth,he just wants a return, and I have no problem with that. BUT, he is trying to write this one off as "it's a rare book, it's common among this title (both counterfeits and resto) and that basically....it's to be expected.

So, I fully intend to return the book but, I am left with the feeling that this book is going to go right back up on his site with no mention of the color touch. So, do I;

1) leave positive feedback stating the color touch but the full refund, hoping it gets read or

2) leave him neutral feedback stating the same thing hoping the neutral will draw more attention and protect potential buyers.

I told him that after the return I hope he knows to disclose the resto or else he might just have to go through this whole process again. He didn't reply.

So, I get a book in the mail yesterday from an Ebay auction I won, advertised as a VF/NM. The book comes and it is gorgeous. I flip it open and, wouldnt you know it, color touch from a black marker bled through all up and down the spine. I write the seller and he offers a $10 refund. I see in his feedback that he has sold many comics before, many genres and many different ages. So, I explain to him without being too sarcastic that the value of the book has been reduced not just a little bit, but a lot. It is now considered restored.

Well, with the amount I told him the book was now worth,he just wants a return, and I have no problem with that. BUT, he is trying to write this one off as "it's a rare book, it's common among this title (both counterfeits and resto) and that basically....it's to be expected.

So, I fully intend to return the book but, I am left with the feeling that this book is going to go right back up on his site with no mention of the color touch. So, do I;

1) leave positive feedback stating the color touch but the full refund, hoping it gets read or

2) leave him neutral feedback stating the same thing hoping the neutral will draw more attention and protect potential buyers.

I told him that after the return I hope he knows to disclose the resto or else he might just have to go through this whole process again. He didn't reply.

Your name seems to match what happened in your post.... lol

Is returning comics an ongoing trend with you?

:jokealert:

Your name seems to match what happened in your post.... lol

Is returning comics an ongoing trend with you?

:jokealert:

No, It's because I was here a long time ago, and some of the CGC Board tough guys and troublemakers decided to do thier "witch hunt of the month" on me. I really don't have much time for games, so I made an exit and "returned". Since then, I've made a few friends, done lots of business (both buying and selling) all with great results.

I have got to learn to keep all my comic dealings here on the boards though cause I can't catch a break on Ebay. But, what to do when no one on here has the book you need?

So, do I;

I'd go with option #1. It seems as though he was easy to work with, so I see no reason to mess with his feedback score. I would definitely note the resto though.

Is he paying the return shipping? If not, a neutral might be in order.

Is it a $20 book or a $100 book? (makes a difference on the $10 refund, as one is ok and the other you are dealing with a jerk)

I might wait to see if he relists without mentioning the CT and then post feedback

Be sure to get delivery confirmation and sig confirmation if over $250 on your return.

If you get a full refund, including return shipping, it's got to be a straight positive.

Everybody will miss something on a book...CGC have done it themselves...and providing you are made whole, the seller shouldn't be penalised for it and believe me, leaving mention of colour touch in the feedback will have consequences for him.

If you buy from him again and again find resto, a pattern starts to emerge and neutral/negative could be appropriate. Also, if there's previous mention of undisclosed resto in his feedback, you might want to mention it, as again, you then have indication of a pattern.

A one off, though? Everybody can do it with zero intention to defraud and all good intentions.

If you get a full refund, including return shipping, it's got to be a straight positive.

Everybody will miss something on a book...CGC have done it themselves...and providing you are made whole, the seller shouldn't be penalised for it and believe me, leaving mention of colour touch in the feedback will have consequences for him.

If you buy from him again and again find resto, a pattern starts to emerge and neutral/negative could be appropriate. Also, if there's previous mention of undisclosed resto in his feedback, you might want to mention it, as again, you then have indication of a pattern.

A one off, though? Everybody can do it with zero intention to defraud and all good intentions.

hm I agree that it may be a one-off and no intent to deceive, steal, manipulate, or otherwise rip someone off could be present.

However, why should there not be a small consequence to the error. Throughout life mistakes lead to consequences (hopefully proportional to the error), even if well intentioned. I am not advocating stringing this seller up by any means. If it is not a pattern there will only be the one item of feedback with someone noting color touch on a book and a successful resolution to the problem.

However under the straight positive feedback, who leaves the first indication of a problem (if it is a problem with this seller). We can't establish a pattern without an initial data point. :juggle: What if there are several buyers already that just left a positive with no note regarding the transaction itself? I do not believe it is the case here, but I honestly believe that is how folks like Robojo build up good feedback profiles.

Well, all good advice so far. I am leaning towards the positive feedback w/ mention of color touch in caps. Hopefully this will be enough to get noticed in case he fails to mention the CT. BTW, it was extremely easy to see this color touch if he ever opened the book. The bleed through is extensive and is one of the first things you notice upon opening the book.

Like I said, he has been willing to issue a complete refund, but I just get that sinking feeling it's going up again on his site with a quickness sans mention of CT.

Here was his last reply to me:

Matt-

The Teenage Age Mutant Ninja Turtles in particular are, as I'm sure you know, very difficult to grade and vary greatly due to their rarity and counterfeit/restored copies. As we seem to be at an impass, if you would like to re-package the book in a similar fashion as I shipped it to you to insure no damage in the return trip, I will refund you the amount of the final bid as well as $3.00 for media Mail when the book arrives. Let me know, and thank you again,

Making someone go to the trouble of returning a nearly worthless book is not a good idea.

Trying to justify miss of blatant CT is pretty dumb too.

Granted, he will reimburse you for $3 return shipping, but really?

At this point, I still would wait on the feedback, to see if it is relisted sans CT.

Funny thing is, I would straight up leave this guy a positive and not even ding him on DSR's if he had simply said, "sorry I missed that, send it back for a full refund"

But, once he starts dancing around, making me read all of his justification, blah, blah, blah the far more likely I am to ding him. It is simply a complete waste of time for HIS error, not mine.

At an impasse? Hmmm. *Maybe* he never opened the book and noticed the color touch. Perhaps he got taken by the owner who sold him the book...

I'd lean towards positive feedback w/ mention of color touch in caps, too. If he lists the book again *without* noting the restoration, notify eBay of his attempt to commit fraud. Save your emails, TPTB will want to see them.

No one wants to be "Robojo'd" (Almost qualifies as a verb on this forum).

I'd be more inclined to give a neutral to draw attention to the fact that the seller cannot distinguish, nor notes restoration on the books he sells. When I look at seller feedback, I'd want something like that to stick out in red or grey, if you know what I mean

Well, after that last reply of his, I went on to tell him that this is not a matter of a disputed grade. Regardless of whether this was one of the rarest Turtles books or any other comic, color touch is color touch, and the book is now not worth much. I also told him that it's basically a reader copy now, and that most collectors will want to know that. It's important to mention the CT because you will just have to go through the same process with someone else if you don't.

No reply.

Yeah, at this point I will be happy to get a refund and just leave him to bury himself.

I've also asked him mulitple times for a full name and address for the return shipping and have yet to hear from him. Perhaps he took a little break.