• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for informed opinions about mylar and board usage

17 posts in this topic

I am in the middle of re-boarding and bagging my 2000+book collection to E-Gerber Half-backs and Mylites2. I have Many duplicate copies and I was wondering if it would be bad or ok to put 2 books into one sleeve with one board in between the two books. E-Gerber boards are Acid free through out unlike other boards that are protected on one side. it is a snug fit, but I am not forcing the books in and it seems to fit ok. This would save lots of money on Mylars and Boards, most of my books are not extremely old or overly valuable but are in great shape and I really would like to keep them that way. I would be grateful for opinions from more experienced collectors than my self...that would be just about anyone:-) Thanks Guys!

I am in the middle of re-boarding and bagging my 2000+book collection to E-Gerber Half-backs and Mylites2. I have Many duplicate copies and I was wondering if it would be bad or ok to put 2 books into one sleeve with one board in between the two books. E-Gerber boards are Acid free through out unlike other boards that are protected on one side. it is a snug fit, but I am not forcing the books in and it seems to fit ok. This would save lots of money on Mylars and Boards, most of my books are not extremely old or overly valuable but are in great shape and I really would like to keep them that way. I would be grateful for opinions from more experienced collectors than my self...that would be just about anyone:-) Thanks Guys!

Hi Arnould1!

It appears that you are asking about the capacity of the halfback to absorb the acid generated by the two books, as opposed to a single book, rather than about the size of the bags. Two books in one Mylar with a Gerber or Bill Cole "Buffered Throughout" board are usually fine in regards to acid absorption.

I said "usually" above, because you do NOT want to do this with books that are already brittle or browning, as they already have a significant amount of acid hydrolysis going on. No sense tempting fate with another "good" book in the same bag. I also would steer away from this with high value books.

Just a friendly reminder: Stay away. Far, Far away from any other brand boards (other than Gerber or Bill Cole) with Mylars.

If you have any more archival storage questions, just drop me a PM.

I would recommend looking through this thread by our own mschmidt - some great information.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4708042&fpart=1

This thread should be stickied at the top of general.

At the very least there should be a stickied info thread with links to pertinent and informative threads like this one so that they are easy to find.

Scanners, mylars, packaging, all of those threads need to be easy to find for people.

It appears that you are asking about the capacity of the halfback to absorb the acid generated by the two books, as opposed to a single book, rather than about the size of the bags. Two books in one Mylar with a Gerber or Bill Cole "Buffered Throughout" board are usually fine in regards to acid absorption.

I said "usually" above, because you do NOT want to do this with books that are already brittle or browning, as they already have a significant amount of acid hydrolysis going on. No sense tempting fate with another "good" book in the same bag. I also would steer away from this with high value books.

Just a friendly reminder: Stay away. Far, Far away from any other brand boards (other than Gerber or Bill Cole) with Mylars.

You seem to know a lot about this subject, so let me ask:

How effective is microchamber paper for reducing, stopping, or even reversing acidification?

Currently I am storing comics in 2 mil. mylar sleeves, on buffered acid-free .40 mil. backings. Then I slip two pieces of microchamber paper in the comic -- one near the front, one near the back.

Is that the most effect storage method for reducing the long-term possibility of acidification? I want to keep my comics for as long as possible, and I don't want to get them out in 10 years and discover they're falling apart due to rotting from the inside.

One thing I would like to touch on with double book bagging. We were discussing how to set the books in boxes and a good point came up not to have to books face each other as the staples from one book could imprint on the surface of the opposing book. So if you have a book on both side of the board and then store them in a box you will have books facing each other and the pressure could cause a miswraped book to create staple impressions on the book it is up against. I think this is more common with older books but it raises the possible that there may be other unforeseen consequences with have books facing each other.

How effective is microchamber paper for reducing, stopping, or even reversing acidification?

Currently I am storing comics in 2 mil. mylar sleeves, on buffered acid-free .40 mil. backings. Then I slip two pieces of microchamber paper in the comic -- one near the front, one near the back.

Is that the most effect storage method for reducing the long-term possibility of acidification? I want to keep my comics for as long as possible, and I don't want to get them out in 10 years and discover they're falling apart due to rotting from the inside.

Microchamber paper is very effective at absorbing acid and can protect the cover from the acid in the pages.

Let me preface my reply with the fact that I sell microchamber paper and other archival supplies, including Gerber Mylars and boards. However, that doesn't stop me from recommending other solutions to collectors when applicable. Including, "You are better off just enjoying these comics and giving them to your kids and grandkids rather than going to the expense of archival storage". Now, on to the nitty gritty.

Microchamber paper has over 100 times the acid removal capacity of the equivalent buffered paper. Gerber and Bill Cole backboards are essentially thick buffered paper (other brand boards are NOT buffered and are usually acidic by the time collectors receive them). I weighed boards vs microchamber paper a while back and considering the weight differential, each sheet of microchamber was still over 20 times more effective at acid removal than each halfback board. Additionally, microchamber paper removes acidic precursors before they can turn into acid. Precursors will simply pass through buffered boards. Additionally, microchamber paper removes oxidative and acidic gaseous pollutants common in indoor air pollution.

Saying that, Microchamber paper can not do miracles and reverse damage already present. Paper is organic. It is going to decay, it is just a matter of time. We can extend that time in a variety of ways and Microchamber paper, has become the gold standard in paper preservation by professional archivists.

Then I slip two pieces of microchamber paper in the comic -- one near the front, one near the back.

I highly recommend placement between the front cover and the first page and between last page and back cover. For expensive books, I put one in the centerfold. Some people put more sheets in. I personally don't have any books that I feel justify that expense. If I had thousand dollar books, I would put another two midway between the front and centerfold and back and centerfold.

With your current procedure and proper storage climate, using closed top mylars, I seriously doubt you will be able to see any difference in the books in 20, maybe even 50 years, let alone 10.

One thing I would like to touch on with double book bagging. We were discussing how to set the books in boxes and a good point came up not to have to books face each other as the staples from one book could imprint on the surface of the opposing book. So if you have a book on both side of the board and then store them in a box you will have books facing each other and the pressure could cause a miswraped book to create staple impressions on the book it is up against. I think this is more common with older books but it raises the possible that there may be other unforeseen consequences with have books facing each other.
hm I wonder if that would be the case with a 2 mil mylar? I'd think those would be thick enough to prevent.

Microchamber paper is very effective at absorbing acid and can protect the cover from the acid in the pages.

Not sure if absorbs acid or just creates a more alkalyne environment but I think you and I are on the same page.

It also prevents interior oils seeping into and coming into contact with the cover. That is what gives SA Marvel covers that translucent appearance and the oil halo that is so common.

(thumbs u

I highly recommend placement between the front cover and the first page and between last page and back cover. For expensive books, I put one in the centerfold. Some people put more sheets in. I personally don't have any books that I feel justify that expense. If I had thousand dollar books, I would put another two midway between the front and centerfold and back and centerfold.

Thanks for your comments. For some comics I put the paper between the cover and the first page (and correspondingly, the back cover and the last page). For other comics I put them on page in (after the 1st inside page, before the last inside page). I will try to do it the way you suggest from now on.

Thanks also for your comments regarding whether the expense is worth it. I am not talking about thousand-dollar comics, but they are at least valuable enough that I don't mind spending an extra 50 cents to minimize how much they deteriorate.