• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1ST CON = 1ST REPORT: WONDECON 2011

27 posts in this topic

I thought I’d write a report on my first con ever! So my wife surprised me with Wondercon tickets for my birthday last month. We stayed at the Marriott, which was awesome considering it was only a five minute walk to the Moscone Center. The weather ended up turning out beautiful, which is surprising with the horrible rain for the past few weeks. Also, I’ll be uploading more pictures when I get a hold of my wife’s phone.

DAY 1:

We arrived a little after the doors opened.

sam0359.jpg

photo1wa.jpg

sam0361l.jpg

As soon as we walked in my wife went to stand in line for me for the White Lantern golden wristband raffle, while I went to the CGC booth to drop off my WD 1 and 75 RRP to get SS. A few minutes later I get a call from my wife letting me know she won and was on her way to buy the figures (which is for sale BTW ). After the figures were in hand we thought we’d try our luck with winning the Ryan Reynolds signature raffle. After about 30 minutes of waiting we had no such luck. Most of the time on Friday we spent checking out some exhibits. When we got to the Image booth we found out that Robert Kirkman was about to hold his signing so we immediately jumped in line. My wife bought an Invincible TPB and I had my program and WD blu-ray for him to sign. He was a totally guy to BS with who really took out time to interact with his fans.

photo7p.jpg

sam0368t.jpg

My wife and I.

SAM_0367.jpg

After Kirkman signed my program I decided to have every artist/writer sign it. The end result….

sam0388bd.jpg

The signatures include: Robert Kirkman, Andre Osborne (Blue Estate), Viktor Kalvachev (Blue Estate), Daniel Freedman (Undying Love), Nate Simpson (Nonplayer), Terry Moore, Vince Hernandez, J. Scott Campbell, Mike Costa (GI Joe), Long Vo (Marvel vs. Capcom Artist), Adam Hughes, Ryan Ottley, Sergio Aragones, Greg Horn, Bill Sienkiewicz, Bob Layton, Mike Kennedy, Jake Myler, Marvin Mann, and Paul Morrissey.

Following the Kirkman signing, my wife and I went to the end of the TNT Falling Skies panel, and sat through the Nikita episode (boorrrrinnng) so we could be early for the Green Lantern panel. The panel was awesome, Ryan Reynolds was hilarious and even had a few questions regarding his desire to play Deadpool. Blake lively was there too, but it seemed as if 90% of the questions were for Reynolds, as expected. Peter Saarsgard was no where to be found. The exclusive clip was amazing. I was very skeptical of this movie till I saw the clip which has me sold on going on opening night.

sam0372o.jpg

sam0370hp.jpg

sam0371.jpg

We didn't stay for the Emerald Knights showing, but did get some free swag that included a GL shirt and lanyard.

DAY 2:

sam0374h.jpg

sam0375z.jpg

Day 2 was spent mostly box diving looking for a decent copy of Batman 227 and getting some signatures for my program at Artist Alley. I had a chance to stop by the Capcom booth to have Long Vo, who does the art for Marvel vs. Capcom do a spidey sketch for me. Not bad for only $25 bucks.

sam0383.jpg

We also spent part of the day waiting in line to get a bunch of the free swag. Walked away with about a dozen DC pins, several posters, 1 GL light up ring, 2 copies of Batman The Dark Knight, 2 copies of Batman Inc., 3 copies of Superboy, 2 copies of American Vampire, Scalped, Fables, and some other stuff. My wife’s light up GL ring:

photo4na.th.jpg

My wife actually picked up more than I did this day. Typically she only reads the moderns that I read WD, Chew, and I Zombie, but since going to Wondercon she has branched out to books I never read. She picked up a copy of Terry Moore’s Echo which she is hooked to. I didn’t have a list of things to look for other than the Batman 227 and miscellaneous WD singles to fill my run. We stopped to have lunch at Mels, which was packed, but were in and out in time to get back. On the way we snapped these:

alieny.jpg

photo3fh.jpg

photo11mc.jpg

photo5vyf.jpg

A few times during the day I tried stopping by Adam Hughes’ table to get a signature and see when he will be doing head sketches, which only required a $5 minimum donation to his Japanese relief charity. Unfortunately, I had missed out for the day due to them only being offered during the first hour of each day. The majority of the day was roaming around and checking out some cosplayers. Apparently everyone and their mom saw Suckerpunch because there were a lot of Baby Dolls.

photoqo.jpg

photo1fm.jpg

photo6fu.jpg

We ended the night with a nice dinner out at Annabelle’s across from the Marriott.

SAM_0379.jpg

DAY 3:

Day 3 was short for us. We arrived about a half hour early so I could head to Artist Alley to get the Adam Hughes head sketches. Luckily by the time we got there it was a short wait and he was pumping out head sketch is under a minute each. I really liked what he did with the Catwoman.

sam0385.jpg

After the sketches we headed to the Archaia area, which was having a great deal on their hardbacks, buy 2 get 3 free. We picked up the 3 Mouseguards they had and my wife picked up a couple hardbacks that she didn’t put down once during the whole car ride home. Also we got a chance to chat with Mike Kennedy, Jake Myler, Marvin Mann, and Paul Morrissey. Jake Myler and Paul Morrissey signed and sketched the free Fraglerock books they handed it.

sam0387h.jpg

Shortly after we found a booth that had a bunch of WD singles at $2.50 a pop. Oddly enough the guy working the booth talked my wife out of buying his Echo trades she had picked up to go start with the Strangers in Paradise pocketbook at Terry’s booth. Also I had a chance to pick up the Invincible 75 RRP for dirt cheap there too. All in all I think my wife spent more on comics then I did.

Like I mentioned we left early Sunday and were out the door by 12:30PM so we can beat all the traffic. Here are the remaining pictures I don’t know where to put.

Stormtrooper are just like us!

photo2yu.jpg

photo8yw.jpg

photo9j.jpg

SAM_0373.jpg

Kirkman look-alike

SAM_0369.jpg

SAM_0366.jpg

SAM_0363-1.jpg

SAM_0376.jpg

photo10ry.jpg

photo12vb.jpg

photo13u.jpg

sam0365s.jpg

oh yea....PHOTOBOMB (only if he was actually looking at her lol).

photo15k.jpg

Kirkman is a cool guy. My buddy was talking to him for at least a half-hour at the 2000 San Diego ComicCon about Battle Pope. I thought to myself, "This guy's stuff is pretty lame." lol and now I'm a huge fan. I was bummed when I had just missed him at his LCS in Kentucky last summer. Greta report so far!

Thanks for this. Great report so far.

Your wife sounds like a great sport. I sure hope you're planning on getting her some flowers or something nice!