• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

March Madness Grading Tournament Finals

255 posts in this topic

Thanks for the Congrats and kudos to Dcman for playing it tight. :banana:

Being a stat guy...I'd like to see the tale of the tape for the final match and winning stats for all years of the tourney. Like comparing home run stats from the 90's to the 40's.

Great fun, looking forward to next year.

TALE OF THE TAPE:

COMICDEY

7TH SEED

Record 23W & 5L Western Finalist

(7) comicdey 70 + 65 + 95 + 65 + 75 = 370

Head to head record by round 2 wins, 3 ties

Total margin of victory 147 points

Comicdey closest round was against Resurrection (3 points)

Seeds defeated (1) (2) (3) (8) (10)

DCMAN

13TH SEED

Record 18W & 6L Eastern Finalist

(13) dcman 70 + 47 + 50 + 65 + 75 = 307

Head to head record by round, 2 losses, 3 ties

Total margin of victory 70 points

Dcman closest round was against Warlord (3 points)

Seeds defeated (2) (4) (6) (8) (12)

Thanks

Nailed 3 in the finals and off by 0.7 on the 4th

Nobody's perfect. I needed the bonus 10 in the second half for the 3rd spot on or dcman could have sunk me.

Congrats, you were tough to beat....I had them 9.4 and 9.0....1 bulls and 3 off by .5...at least I'm consistent.

Exactly the grades I had figured on these! (worship) Luckily you knocked me out or we'd have kept going into OTs with similar thinking like this! lol

Thanks for the Congrats and kudos to Dcman for playing it tight. :banana:

Good finish comicdey! Next year I'll have to switch regions so I can take you out early before you make so much trouble! :sumo:

Been there

Done that

Don't want to repeat it :sumo:

Where's the championship banner I get to hang in the gym alongside past great team and aged glory?

You get a championship banner for your sig line. :sumo:

I could print one out 30" X 96" and you can hang it in your Living Room. (shrug)

CONGRATS to Collin/Comicdey and runner-up DCMan...well-played! :applause:

And MAJOR KUDOs to Tom/Nostalgic Attic for yet another OUTSTANDING tournament! Great job Tom and very much appreciated! :headbang:

Can't wait 'til next year... :cry:

Here's my March Madness Summary:

I've been watching from the sidelines. Some exciting, hard-fought battles. Sorry to see MrLatko and BlowUpTheMoon go down in defeat - especially after BlowUpTheMoon knocked Toro out so early in the competition.

But the Final Four deserve to be where they are. Congrats to all 4 of you, and good luck!

Congrats to the 4!!!

If I would have gotten by Blowupthemoon, I would have been in the final 4! But that's what happens in tournament play.

Good Luck guys!

Drew - Wish you would have gotten into the Tourney. Start stockpiling images for next year!

Toro - It's with respect that I say I had the most fun taking you out.

The DareDevil 37 did me in. Got zero points on it. Had my grades finalized and was off by .2 on the book. Then this little exchange made be give the book a 5.0 :frustrated:

How do you rub off the entire coating of gloss from a comic book? I'd like to see that. Is that all that the grader's notes stated, "no gloss"?

When I post scans, I make it a point to disclose items that could affect the grade but are not aparent on the scan. This book had no gloss remaining on the cover. I'm not the OO so I'm not really sure how that happened. (shrug):sorry:

Congrats to over all winner ComicDey, and especially for the perfect score!

Only three in four years of competition have made the perfect score...Toro, CKP1680, and now Comicdey. (worship)

Shin for getting cash involved.

All right. $100 bounty to the CBLDF and Hero Initiative ($50 each) if mrlatko beats DiceX by 20 points. ($50 for a win by 10 points.) :foryou:

DiceX for attempting to bring some pain:

What slacker are we still waiting on? :taptaptap:

I think Comicdey is out back practicing his 28 foot fall away bank buzzer beater. :acclaim:
I think he caved to the pressure. He's planning on forfeiting at the last second. I don't blame him.

:whatev:

Everyone that donated a prize. Especially those who got knocked out early.

Thanks to the Anonymous Boardie who provided this image:

24yqses.jpg

And finally, the biggest of thanks to our Tournament organizer.

(worship)6746.jpg

I like a contest where, after the seeding round, half of the contestants will be gone after the first real round.

Researchers have attributed the world wide popularity of March Madness to the fact that it is the largest major single elimination tournament in the world, thus adding to the intensity of each round. I can already feel the tension mounting in this, the largest single elimination Comic Grading Tournament in the Galaxy! :whee:

Toro - It's with respect that I say I had the most fun taking you out.

Ummm,,, just to make the record clear, I have never, ever gone out with BlowUpTheMoon. :eek:

But, what a coincidence, my favorite part of the tournament was seeing you choke against bryan91. :baiting:

Where's the championship banner I get to hang in the gym alongside past great team and aged glory?

You get a championship banner for your sig line. :sumo:

I could print one out 30" X 96" and you can hang it in your Living Room. (shrug)

I'll take a 3'x5' flag out of nylon so that I can fly it over my "habin" at Nancy Lake. I'll post photos after it's been run up the pole. :foryou:

Great fun in the Tourney and always a struggle to deal with all the pressure and trash talking. :slapfight:

Zuckus raised a ruckus and played to the crowd hm

DiceX trash talked but took the long walk :roflmao:

Warlord was out with so much as a pout :devil:

Toro was gone allowing the swan song :whistle:

MrLatko got hit and out went my stomach pit :flamed:

Divad was beat, should have cheat to save his seat from early defeat doh!

Resurrection put up a fight then took flight :foryou:

Blowupthemoon played hard but ended up in shards :ohnoez:

DCMAN represented the lower seeds and created and end for all to be proud, it wasn't quiet as he played to the crowd. :applause:

but......in the end.....Comicdey rocked the house :whee:, the seeds fell like leaves as they trembled :boo: in wait and the freight train scoring machine named DEY took them down to defeat. :sumo:

There's been no repeat in Four years at the show, so get your grading goggles on and practice your free throw. If you want to contend, you'll have to get in as the round of 64 is easy no more. :gossip:

Same Time Same Place Next Year ^^:takeit:

Thanks BUTM. This was the most enjoyable tournament for me of the 4, and there have been some fun times in all of them. Looks like most everyone else has a good time with it too. :headbang:

I'm looking forward to hosting it again next year. As always, if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to PM me. The tournament has evolved for the better thanks to input from many boardies.

Stay tuned for the prize picking in this thread. I'll have picking order and a prize list up later today. :acclaim: :acclaim:

Final Prize List:

1. Space Adventures #13 CGC 7.0 OW-W Charlton Comics 1954. (NA)

2. X-Men #205 CGC 9.6 White Pages. Barry Windsor Smith Art- First Lady Deathstrike. (NA)

3. Platinum Series ‘Blade Trinity’ 2 DVD set and ‘Ultimate Avengers’ Animated movie DVD. (NA)

4. Defenders #1 CGC 7.5 OW-W (NA)

5. 5 low to mid grade Marvel Treasuries (Etanick)

6. 5 low to mid grade DC Treasuries (Etanick)

7. Uncle Scrooge #48 Raw Fn/VF 7.0 (AJD)

8. 6 Dave Stevens Cover Comics (Shark)

9. Iron Man 2 for XBOX 360 NIB (SolitaireOne)

th_Picture028.jpg

10. Daredevil 231 CGC 9.6 White Frank Miller (one of my all time favorite Miller issues) (Ark)

11. The Uncanny Dave Cockrum - HC limited edition (1000 copies) from Aardwolf Publishing (DrewinCanada)

12. Amazing Spider-man Civil War CGC 9.8 White X-Men Movie Adaptation #1 CGC 9.2 (trmoore54)

13. HOM and X-men 1, 2, 3 DVDs (Blowupthemoon)

hom.jpg

x.jpg

14. Weird #1 (Wrightson and Starlin) double cover 9.2 raw (Blowupthemoon)

IMG_2076.jpg

15. 2 high grade warrens (Shiverbones)

x15-2.jpg

x13-1.jpg

16. MOTU #2 CGC 9.6 WP (Frankbears)

17. "Limited edition signed/numbered postcard that Matthew (Shiverbones) is custom making of a commission he did a while back (limited to 23 and he gets to keep a few). The image he titled Gusher is in his 4th published book. Granted the slacker forgot to mention that it's in the collection of "me" but I've forgiven him and I do have the original. I'll even throw in a few fun surprises to protect it via shipping in a priority mailer. '' (Comicdey)

18. Fantastic Four #59 (DCMAN)

ff59k.jpg

19. Robin Collector set.

robin2.jpg

And, this set of 10 Star Wars Comics:

th_swamidala-98.jpg th_swanakin-98.jpg th_swbh-96.jpg th_swbhkk-98.jpg th_swdecade2-94.jpg

th_swriver1-96.jpg th_swriver2-94.jpg th_swrogue-94.jpg th_swtales-96.jpg th_swvand-98.jpg (Zuckuss 2003)

20. Coup D'Etat Sleeper #1 CGC 9.8 (NA)

21. Conan #12 CGC 8.0 White (NA)

The tournament top seed gets an automatic #9 pick. I also gave a #18 prize pick to Sckao for his invaluable spreadsheat help during the ranking phase.

Contact the person directly who is donating the prize to give them your shipping address.

Thanks again to everyone who made donations. There are some cool items to choose from. :headbang:

Prize picking Order:

1. Comicdey

2. DCMAN

3. AJD

4. Zuckuss2003

5. MrLatko

6. bryan91

7. TSIMANGA

8. Thehumantorch

9. Whisp

10. Boboset

11. Davedawgbg