• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You win some, you lose some - 6.0 goes down to SS 5.0

29 posts in this topic

There's 2 decent size chips out of the upper right corner that didn't exist on the 6.0. It was definately mishandled. Possibly from cracking it out of the slab.

Yes, the new TRC chipping hurt it as you all pointed out. The OW pages went to C-OW. And the blue-green sky now looks grey-blue.

But he says "it has a lot of potential!" whatever that means. (as if pressing and resubmitting might help) NOT

There's 2 decent size chips out of the upper right corner that didn't exist on the 6.0. It was definately mishandled. Possibly from cracking it out of the slab.

Absolutely, on the bottom right it seems a slight bit worse with the chipping, but the top right is horrendous. I would be livid if that occurred on a key like that. Shame on you whoever molested such a nice book (tsk)

After all the marring of super high grade SA books I would say that this is a much smaller taste of poetic justice than this seller deserves. It is just a shame that it had to come at the expense of this JIM.

who did you use for the service?

Seeing it is a Stan sig I would say this went through Desert Wind Comics.

:gossip: Stan Lee SS signature's aren't exclusive to DWC

Understood, but he does do more than the average person.

Just to answer your questions. YES DWC handled that book for that signing. Just like we handle the 1000's and 1000's of other books that get signed. And we handled each on them as careful as the next one. While I am sure you guys question what happened consider a few facts. That customer submitted 105 books to be signed by Stan during that signing. Of the 105 books only a few changed in graded. Now if you want to say "Oh DWC how could you be so rough with a book"? It was that SAME rough handling that had his Incredible Hulk 181 CGC 9.6 get signed by Stan Lee and then come back a 9.8! The customer, as a result of our "rough handling", saw his IH 181 go from a $5,000 book to a $22,000 and he proceeded to sell it for $33,000! And of the few that did drop in grade, the customer refused to accept the grade drop even though some of the books that dropped had the exact same notes from the previous grade to the new grade.

Let me give you some more numbers. In 2010 we handled over 4000 previously CGC slabbed books. 97% of them came back the same grade. So of the 3% that changed grade. A little more then half dropped a grade and the rest went up in grade. What you also seem to forget is as brittle as some of these older books get they still have to be handled by Stan and they have to be handled by his handler and CGC. So while it is easy to point the finger at DWC, be careful to consider all the other factors in getting a book signed.

I hope you guys find this information enlighting. Thank you.

And of the few that did drop in grade, the customer refused to accept the grade drop even though some of the books that dropped had the exact same notes from the previous grade to the new grade.

What does this mean? Did he try to get you to eat the grade drops?

No he argued for 4 months with CGC. I honestly don't know what ultimately happened. I just know he would not accept that a grader years ago thought the book was a 6.5 and a different grader years later thought the same book was a 6.0. The exact same notes on the book. It is just like my example I tell people when books are graded. 1 person thinks the painting is orangish red and the other grader thinks it is pinkish red. They both agree it is red but they both see a different shade of red. All personal opinion.

Wow. That is surprising. There is plenty of evidence that books can get damaged in transit IN THE SLAB! So in a situation where the books had to travel to the facilitator, travel to the event, get cracked and placed in window bags, get signed, get transferred to mylars for CGC, travel to CGC, get graded and slabbed, there was no way that there could have been a different grade.

To that you can only say - lol